Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 01 Apr 2015 (Wednesday) 18:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I shouldn't get Feisol 3441T because...

kaitlyn2004
Goldmember
1,685 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 01, 2015 18:54 |  #1

Forgive me for yet another tripod question BUT I really do believe I've narrowed my choices down to the Feisol 3441T... I think! I'm looking to use this tripod MAINLY for travel photography.

I'm looking to replace my Manfrotto 190CXPro4 with something that is lighter, more stable, folds equal or shorter and taller is a huge bonus.

The 190's horizontal-switching center column is kind of neat but I really didn't use it too much. Have a low-height option or some kind of flexibility would still be nice, but definitely comes after all the above items!

It seems like the 3441T does check all the boxes, but is there in fact a better option? Ignoring budget, should I actually be considering any other tripod(s) instead of the Feisol?

BTW, I'm 6' tall

My Landscape Photography Videos (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,304 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 01, 2015 19:23 |  #2

I tried the 3441T. It is a great tripod. On the advice of a fellow forum member I tried a Benro C2680TB1. This is from Benro's older line of travel angel tripods. I was so pleased with it I picked up another one from their newer Travel Angel II series. Model C1682TV1. The 1682 was 325usd shipped and the 2680 was a bit cheaper. This series of Benro tripods offer at least 90% of what any Gitzo or Feisol will at a much more agreeable price. There is a detailed review of the 2680 here on the forum. If you look at the specs of the Benros note that the weight usually includes the ball head so it appears artificiality heavy. The Benro heads are ok but most people sell them for 30-40$ which further brings down the cost of the tripod. All this being said I'm 5 foot 9 but I think either would do fine for someone of your height.

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited over 6 years ago by Sirrith. (3 edits in all)

Apr 01, 2015 20:21 |  #3

Ignoring budget, get RRS. Otherwise Feisol is the best balance of price/quality IMO. I have played around with Benro and recommended them to friends who are on tighter budgets and who don't need quite as much from their tripods as I do, but if you can spend the extra $100 or so, go for it.

The Benro travel tripods are shorter than the 3441T, which is already on the limit for your height. For me that is a big factor. Granted you won't always be shooting from eye level, but it is nice to have the option to stand straight when looking through the viewfinder instead of bending down which can get tiring.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

nma
69 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 02, 2015 21:37 |  #4

Take a close look at the Feisol 3442. It makes an excellent travel or all around tripod. Weighs 2.5 pounds without the center column and easily flies in a 22 inch suitcase. It is a systematic design and can be used with or without a center column. I am 6 ft tall and comfortably use it without column. I have done a lot of shooting with the Canon 100-400 L zoom mounted the tripod. The results are generally good except in a strong wind. A conservative recommendation would limit lenses to 200-300 mm.

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,282 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined May 2008

Apr 03, 2015 11:30 |  #5

I have a Feisol 3441S, which is the shorter version of the tripod you are considering (I'm only 5'9"). It has been a great tripod for my use. I have paired it with a PhotoClam ballhead. It's a sturdy, light weight solution when we travel. It provides a stable platform for my largest lens -- a 100-400L.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

Stevegg
38 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 05, 2015 10:47 |  #6

I've got the 3342t which is really light and very stable. I think Feisol represent great value for money.

6d, 7d, 50 f1.4, 100 f 2.8 L, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200 f4, 400 f5.6
Flickr (external link)

faro
33 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Apr 12, 2015 20:29 |  #7

Love the 3441T with PhotoClam ballhead. I'm 6'4" and the height is perfect.

cntangcn
67 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 18, 2015 00:23 |  #8

My vote goes to Feisol too. I have a 3442 and cannot be happier.

5D MARK II, EF 24-105, EF 70 - 200 F4 IS, EF 50 F1.4, EF 40 F2.8, ZE 50mm MP, EF 24 F1.4 Mark I, Leica R50F2, Canon G10, Canon EOS M with 18-55 kit, Canon FL58F1.2, 270EX flash, 430EX II flash. Manfrotto 055XPROB + Sunwayfoto DB-44, Feisol 3442 (No CC) + Sunwayfoto FB-36DDH2

sponsored links

2,288 views & 0 likes for this thread
I shouldn't get Feisol 3441T because...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.