Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews 
Thread started 05 Apr 2015 (Sunday) 12:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)
TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND drmaxx (showing now: drmaxx)
Overall Rating7.5
Overall Image Quality8
Value for Money10
Bokeh7.5
Sharpness7.5
Contrastn/a
not rated
Focusingn/a
not rated
Must Have6.5
Suitability to Intended Use7.5
Got What I Expected7
photo by nrowensby
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for sample photos and more info.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM

Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, reviewed by drmaxx

drmaxx
935 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 05, 2015 12:12 |  #1

Best feature of this lens is clearly size. The camera almost looks naked. It's not the fastest - neither with focusing nor with the size of the aperture - but it does it's job. After all the praise, mainly on POTN, I was first a little disappointed. Especially compared with my Sigma 35mm/1.4 the picture quality is just not quite the same. Not as sharp and the blurred background isn't as pleasant. I used it primarily inside, with the aperture wide open. It might perform better outside with more light.
However, due to it's tiny size I tend to pack the camera more often. While the Sigma is kind of a beast that makes me consider bringing the camera twice - the little pancake requires no thought at all. Just throw it into the bag and off I go. It does start to grow on me.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Donate if you love POTN

sponsored links
tjbrock42
944 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 05, 2015 21:11 |  #2

Ouch! I am seriously considering one of these. Haven't started reading up on it yet, so I don't really know what to expect. I thought it would be sharper than what you are reporting. Thanks for the info!

6D
24-105L, 50 STM, 135L, 430EX II
For Sale: 40D

windpig
Chopped liver
14,675 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 05, 2015 22:16 |  #3

Mine is sharp. Great lens for the price. It's my only non L lens.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Stevegg
38 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 06, 2015 03:28 |  #4

Great lens for the price. Mine is on one of my bodies all the time instead of a body cap and always comes with me either on a camera or in my pocket even if I'm out shooting birds, with my 7d and 400f5.6, just in case a different photo opportunity presents itself.

6d, 7d, 50 f1.4, 100 f 2.8 L, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200 f4, 400 f5.6
Flickr (external link)

RMH
998 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by RMH. (3 edits in all)

Apr 07, 2015 13:56 |  #5

I agree with the OP; I was underwhelmed. I actually bought it to go on my SL1 to make it a tiny package, but it was a bit of an odd focal length -- always too long indoors, often too short outdoor for ppl, but not wide enough for scenes, and not any sharper than the kit lens (which is v good btw), or perhaps less sharp. It was certainly weaker than I expected, though the crop sensors are very dense these days and I always wanted to shoot it wide open...

It's weird, I love a 50 prime or an 85 prime and though 64mm wouldn't be all that much different to either, but I just never got on with it. Maybe it's just that for the stuff I wanted to use it for -- out and about or indoors at home with the family, the kit lens is just so much more useful.

I thought about keeping it to use on the 5D, but the 24-70 is better in every way except weight and size, but if I'm lugging the 5D it's because I'm on a photography mission, and then I don't mind the size and weight.

All the stuff I've owned at one time or another

CallMeJag
391 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 14, 2015 18:36 |  #6

I had the opposite reaction to the lens - it's insanely sharp. Combine that with its size and weight...it's ideal for an easy, versatile walk-around. At least on FF and in my opinion. ;)

6D | 28 2.8 IS | 35L | 50 1.8 STM | 135L
Fujifilm X100T

Flickr (external link)

PitaDaVespa
82 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by PitaDaVespa.

Apr 27, 2015 05:20 |  #7

I find mine is very sharp in my 5D, even wide open, but not so sharp on my 40D.
I'm not sure why, since it should be sharper on the crop body.

Maybe the difference in on the sensors and not on the lens itself?

Has anyone compared this with the 24mm 2.8 STM?

serrow
31 posts
Joined May 2015

May 28, 2015 19:11 |  #8

I cannot get past how cute this lens is... alas, there are better ones out there

drmaxx
THREAD ­ STARTER
935 posts
Joined Jul 2010

May 29, 2015 03:20 |  #9

:-) Very true! Especially when you compare this with the Sigma 35mm ART.

Donate if you love POTN

drmaxx
THREAD ­ STARTER
935 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 27, 2015 02:20 |  #10

After several months of use I have to say that the lens is growing on me. Everything is still true that I stated as my first impression, but it's size just makes it sooo easy to have the camera along. Here some pics from a cooking course I participated myself. Difficult light - no flash. It just makes my camera so very handy and I find myself choosing it more and more over my Sigma 35mm ART.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Donate if you love POTN

garbidz
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2005

Oct 06, 2015 00:32 |  #11

This particular lens is not something to give you emotional turmoil this way or that. What it does though, it gives you very sharp and smooth pictures right out from wide open. It looks ridiculous. With a crop sensor camera you find yourself often with your back against the wall. Then again, portraits are not as distorted as with shorter focal lengths...(what else is new).

For the price, the performance is correct. With the Metabones adapter, it is the only one of my lenses that looks so abouts reasonable on the A6000.

Unless you are planning to shoot video with your Canon DSLR, you do not need this lens.

bag

icacphotography
612 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 24, 2015 12:13 |  #12

I personally love mine. Bought it a couple years back right after the lens was launched. it's a permanent functional body cap on my 50D. great lens to have to just pull out and go with the camera with no thought. very sharp and I would say a must have for any crop sensor user.

Body:50D gripped Magic Lantern'd
Lenses:50mm 1.8,40mm 2.8,28-105 USM II,70-210 F4, 1962 Asahi Pentax Super Takumar 55mm 1.8
Flash: Canon 430 EX
The camera is just a tool - it is not responsible for the picture.

J ­ Bruja
169 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by J Bruja.

Nov 07, 2015 13:04 |  #13

The 40 2.8 STM lens on my 5D makes it look like a Point & Shoot camera that is trying to be a DSLR wannabe. To solve this problem I attached a 52 to 55 mm threaded filter mount ring to the lens and then a compression mount all metal rectangular lens hood from days long ago. Here's a photo to clarify my long winded explanation.

ps: I use a Nikon D610 camera strap on the 5D and a Canon EOS strap on my Nikon D610 to cause confusion among the brand conscious out there.

This lens is new to me as I just acquired it several hours ago from a local pawn shop and I am already impressed with the macro capabilities.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i648.photobucke​t.com …/_OCT1673_zps4f​zcd8kr.jpg (external link)

quasar85
Hatchling
3 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2016

Jan 17, 2016 03:20 |  #14

I've had this lens for a couple of days now, and gave it a decent test run today. I can see this lens growing on me, oh so light!! Quick sample below, I was sitting on a swing set and quite liked the look of the swing chains and frame above me (this had some minor tweaking applied in DPP).

HOSTED PHOTO

Owain ­ Shaw
Some of my best friends are people.
2,012 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 17, 2016 16:21 |  #15

I'm a massive fan of this lens. Bought it to take on a trip and not be weighed down by my 24-70. After that I barely used the zoom for over a year and ended up selling it. The Pancake did everything and did it plenty well enough for me - street/travel, landscapes, portraits.

People often say they find the focal length a bit odd - on all kinds of camera, full frames, crop sensors, and I've seen the same said of the equivalent lens for the Fuji X system. I got on with it right away on that first trip ... it's wide enough without being too wide, I think that's why it's good for so many uses.

There are things it can't do. Being quite wide and only f/2.8 the background separation and blurring aren't phenomenal, but considering the size and price I think it's an amazing lens.

| Photographic for the People - New website coming soon. |
| Gear | Flickr (external link) |

sponsored links

11,645 views & 3 likes for this thread
Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, reviewed by drmaxx
FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.