Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
Thread started 06 Mar 2015 (Friday) 09:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First family shoot - tips requested

RhodyPhotos
825 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Mar 06, 2015 09:41 |  #1

Hi, I have been shooting friends and family events for a long time, but this weekend I have my first paid gig and understandably i'm really nervous. It's ok to screw-up for free but for good money?

The family is a largish group, about 12 adults and a bunch of children. It will be mostly outdoors. I will be using a canon 60d with 50mm 1.8 and 70-200 f/4. I have a 430ex for fill. Will appreciate all the tips that you can offer.

Thanks a bunch in advance

CC always welcome.

sponsored links
FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,929 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Mar 06, 2015 09:52 |  #2

Resist the urge to shoot wide open. Groups that large are a challenge on your DOF knowledge. One Speedlite may not do the job depending upon your location. 50mm may be too narrow on a crop... Do you have a lot of room to shoot? Can you rent/borrow a wider lens?

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

drumsfield
Goldmember
1,596 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by drumsfield.

Mar 06, 2015 13:26 |  #3

Plan ahead... Plan ahead... Have a list of shots you need and a second list with shot you would like.

Know your location. Scout ahead and find the best spots. Avoid spots with high contrast that are bright and dimly lit and areas that will induce color cast into your shot like brightly color walls unless you know how to handle that.

If you're outdoors always always always shoot into the sun unless you have a diffuser.

Talk to your clients ask them what they like, but don't let them start posing themselves. (ie who would you like in the photo?... not how do you want me to take the photo)

Canon 5D MkIII | Olympus OM-D | Olympus E-P2 | 16-35L MKII | 24-70L MKII | 70-200L MKII | 85L MKII | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF 100mm 2.8 | 100-400mm L MKII | 20mm 1.7
Feedback and Full gear list
Website (external link)

RhodyPhotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
825 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Mar 06, 2015 21:53 as a reply to  @ drumsfield's post |  #4

Thank you very much for the advice. Much appreciated. I shall scout out the location tomorrow. I have the 18-135 for wide shots, but I should have enough room to use the 70-200.

So, I should shoot facing the sun and use the fill flash? Do you mean a diffuser on the flash?

Thanks again

CC always welcome.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,937 posts
Gallery: 1382 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 06, 2015 23:58 |  #5

smallick wrote in post #17463242 (external link)
Hi, I have been shooting friends and family events for a long time, but this weekend I have my first paid gig and understandably i'm really nervous. It's ok to screw-up for free but for good money?

The family is a largish group, about 12 adults and a bunch of children. It will be mostly outdoors. I will be using a canon 60d with 50mm 1.8 and 70-200 f/4. I have a 430ex for fill. Will appreciate all the tips that you can offer.

Thanks a bunch in advance

Heya,

Scout the location. Look for the best placements during different parts of the day.
You need to know the time it's happening. Best time is morning or late evening. Not mid-day. But most people always want to do it mid-day.
This is why you need to scout the location to know your areas during the worst shooting light of the day.
These locations should really mostly be out of the sun.
You want to avoid direct mid-day sun typically. And you want to avoid squinty eyes. And avoid weird shadows from the environment on faces.
Shooting wide open for isolation is nice and all, but with a large group, it takes a lot of planning and posing. Be prepared to stop down for depth of field.
Again this is why scouting the location matters, you want to know your backgrounds when you're stopping down are not trashy or unsightly and instead provide context.
A single flash will not do much for 12 people. It's good fill for small groups of 2~3, assuming they are back-lit or in really dark shade.

I would plan some basic large family poses that you know will work, that have symmetry, and keep them in a good flat plane, so that you don't have to shoot at F8 just to get them all in focus, but shooting around F4 will probably be a good start even with planning. Don't try to do them at F1.8 as a group. Have the planned shots and planned group photos and pre-scouted spots to do them in. And keep the worst light of the day in mind, so they're not looking into the sun, having squinty eyes or being total back-lit (not enough flash to do 12 people in one go). You want them facing a direction that keeps the sun out of eyes, and from directly behind them. Again, look for shade with nice background context in case it's in focus (avoid parking lots obviously, power lines, garbage cans, etc).

And then do a lot of candids of singles, kids, couples. And just get creative with that.

Take several shots of each pose; micro-expressions matter.
Hands matter. Don't forget about them.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

RhodyPhotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
825 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Mar 09, 2015 08:10 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #6

Hi MalVeauX, Thank you so much for taking the time to write in such detail. I really appreciate it. Went a lot better than expected, and I think that was because of all the good advice that I received from everyone.

CC always welcome.

BLUEONION
275 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 16, 2015 21:35 as a reply to  @ FarmerTed1971's post |  #7

This is a great tip especially with photographers' love with bokeh. I learned the hard way on a family shoot, and will learn from that mistake.

Bokeh and shooting at f1.8 and 1.4 is great sometimes, as in the case with a large group, you need to resist the temptation.

Canon 6D: Rokinon 14 2.8 I Sigma 50 1.4 I Rokinon 85 1.4 I Canon 135 2.0 I Tamron 70-200 2.8
WTB: Skills :)

sponsored links

3,457 views & 0 likes for this thread
First family shoot - tips requested
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.