Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 24 Feb 2014 (Monday) 08:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony A7 models with non-Sony lenses

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,510 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 17, 2015 08:37 |  #6541

Miranda1 wrote in post #17520585 (external link)
Nice series David, really like number 1. The APO is one of my favourite lenses, it really should be in the Otus line.

Thanks! I can't imagine Zeiss making a 135mm Otus since this one is so optically flawless. The only thing I dislike is its weight and mass (can't really help that though).

Puckman wrote in post #17520640 (external link)
Wow. David. The pop and rendering on those images, all three, is just JAW DROPPING. Just WOW!

Thanks! It is an exceptional lens.

Congrats on the new a7 II!! I am really looking forward to seeing your captures with it. :)

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

sponsored links
EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,675 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Apr 17, 2015 10:14 |  #6542

jocau wrote in post #17519995 (external link)
That must be the craziest lens wishlist I've ever seen. :-P

Good luck trying to manually focus these lenses on your 6D. You'll need it. I would simply go for the FE prime lenses with AF, the FE Zeiss Loxia lenses or Zeiss ZE glass with an adapter.

Why is that crazy? They're all excellent lenses. I shot exclusively with manual lenses on my 6D for about a year without any problems. An EG-S screen makes a huge difference.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

Puckman
Cream of the Crop
6,311 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 17, 2015 11:03 |  #6543

David Arbogast wrote in post #17521015 (external link)
Thanks! I can't imagine Zeiss making a 135mm Otus since this one is so optically flawless. The only thing I dislike is its weight and mass (can't really help that though).

Thanks! It is an exceptional lens.

Congrats on the new a7 II!! I am really looking forward to seeing your captures with it. :)

If only I had anything decent to show today. I spent most of the evening last night tweaking the camera around. I was able to get it to fire my off-camera speedlites via the YN622 triggers (but no TTL, to be expected).
For the YN603s (basic remote shutter triggers) I seem to be lacking the PC sync cable (the one I have fits the Canon 6D's sync port, but the Sony has a mini-USB version of that port. Lame).

My first impressions, based on the snapshots taken in the backyard:
- AF on the native lenses is basically similar to my 6D in speed. (ie, it's not really slower). This is better than I expected.
- The various AF modes are actually better and more diverse than my 6D. The continuous tracking seemed to work well. The face recog seemed to work well. I like the flexibility of the zone mode as well as the one (i forget the name) that picks up the subject without it being in the center of the screen (so no need for focus recompose). In this area, the 6D is a bit lacking, as most of its focus points are in the center of the screen.
- IQ seemed ok (hard to say from pics of a static backyard, with an f/4 lens ie, DOF is very basic). No complaints, but everything seemed in focus and sharp when and where I wanted it to be.
- Sony menu system: Not intuitive like Canon or Fuji.
- Looking forward to customizing some buttons, because I did not like the way I had to go into the menu to change some things. I much prefer Fuji's approach here. Specially their manual dials for Aperture, Shutter speed and ISO.
- I have a feeling this camera is going to take some getting used to.
- IBIS seems to work well. As i mentioned above, all my photos were dead sharp, even at evening lighting speeds (1/45, 1/30).
- Weight and size: With native lenses, this is basically no different than a DSLR. Going Sony for the sake of size and weight is kind of a no-op for me. While the size of the A7ii + 24-70 is a tad bit smaller than my 6D+24-105L, it's really not by much. It fits a bit better in my Think Tank. But really, it doesn't change my view of what I want to carry around with me drastically. The real test will be going with the smaller manual lenses (Hence my huge interest in the Voigtlander or other M-glass).

All this is a lot of "first impressions" and the camera has not yet gone out in the field. So I reserve judgement until I've had a bit more time with it. I'm waffling between "Send it back during the return period" to "It'll grow on me."
But I don't think I'll be getting rid of my 6D and most of my Canon glass quite yet.

Sony A7RII and a bunch of lenses.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,700 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by navydoc.

Apr 17, 2015 11:27 as a reply to  @ Puckman's post |  #6544

Don't forget that instead of going to the menu, you can click on the Fn button to access 12 most commonly used settings to quickly change them (which can be customized too). This works much like Canon's "quick menu" although I don't know if your 6D has that feature. More of the controls on your new Sony are customizable and your main controls all have dedicated dials for quick changes; aperture, shutter speed, iso and exposure compensation.

One of the biggest advantages of the Sony are the image files themselves. Try shooting a scene with a high degree of dynamic range in raw and then in Photoshop or Lightroom, move the shadow recovery slider to the right to see how clean that is compared to Canon raw files. With my a7r, I tend to under expose a bit. This helps keep the highlights from clipping and I don't need to worry much about excessive noise or banding in the shadows when I open them up in post.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,700 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 17, 2015 11:32 |  #6545

Another feature you'll learn to appreciate is that when you adjust the exposure compensation dial, your electronic viewfinder will display the changes on the fly so you can tell when you've applied enough compensation.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

Puckman
Cream of the Crop
6,311 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by Puckman.

Apr 17, 2015 11:39 |  #6546

Thanks Gene.

Yes. The Fn. button is exactly like Canon's Q (which I do have on the 6D). I hardly ever have to use it on the 6D because a lot of things are at the touch of a finger (back button focusing, for example. Can that be set on the Sony?)
A couple of examples of the fiddly nature of the Sony (at least as far as I know it after a few hours only):
- The EVF seems to focus the scene on its own (probably to make it easier for the user). So even if I know a particular subject is out of focus, and my focus is say, on a different spot, the screen (EVF or Monitor) will refocus itself, it seems. Can i turn this annoying feature off?
- There is no MF switch on the camera body (like the Fuji) or on the Lens (like Canon). So to switch to full time manual focusing and turn on peaking on an FE lens, you have to go into the Fn menu or Main menu, and switch the focus mode to MF and the peaking to on. On my Canon, when I want MF, I just flick a switch on the lens. On my Fuji, I just flick a switch on the body (and peaking automatically comes on).
I was trying to practice the peaking feature and MF since to see how it compares to the Fuji.

How did you guys learn how the different focusing modes do? The manual (even the online PDF) does not explain the difference between the different continuous focusing modes, for example. Trial and error?

As an aside. I didn't realize how loud these shutters were. I heard the A7R is even worse. Wow. There is NO way this is being used discretely for street scenes, haha. My 6D is WAY quieter and the X100T has a completely silent shutter (due to the shutter being a leaf shutter instead of the traditional type).

Tjh1023
60 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 17, 2015 11:45 |  #6547

Puckman wrote in post #17521205 (external link)
If only I had anything decent to show today. I spent most of the evening last night tweaking the camera around. I was able to get it to fire my off-camera speedlites via the YN622 triggers (but no TTL, to be expected).
For the YN603s (basic remote shutter triggers) I seem to be lacking the PC sync cable (the one I have fits the Canon 6D's sync port, but the Sony has a mini-USB version of that port. Lame).

My first impressions, based on the snapshots taken in the backyard:
- AF on the native lenses is basically similar to my 6D in speed. (ie, it's not really slower). This is better than I expected.
- The various AF modes are actually better and more diverse than my 6D. The continuous tracking seemed to work well. The face recog seemed to work well. I like the flexibility of the zone mode as well as the one (i forget the name) that picks up the subject without it being in the center of the screen (so no need for focus recompose). In this area, the 6D is a bit lacking, as most of its focus points are in the center of the screen.
- IQ seemed ok (hard to say from pics of a static backyard, with an f/4 lens ie, DOF is very basic). No complaints, but everything seemed in focus and sharp when and where I wanted it to be.
- Sony menu system: Not intuitive like Canon or Fuji.
- Looking forward to customizing some buttons, because I did not like the way I had to go into the menu to change some things. I much prefer Fuji's approach here. Specially their manual dials for Aperture, Shutter speed and ISO.
- I have a feeling this camera is going to take some getting used to.
- IBIS seems to work well. As i mentioned above, all my photos were dead sharp, even at evening lighting speeds (1/45, 1/30).
- Weight and size: With native lenses, this is basically no different than a DSLR. Going Sony for the sake of size and weight is kind of a no-op for me. While the size of the A7ii + 24-70 is a tad bit smaller than my 6D+24-105L, it's really not by much. It fits a bit better in my Think Tank. But really, it doesn't change my view of what I want to carry around with me drastically. The real test will be going with the smaller manual lenses (Hence my huge interest in the Voigtlander or other M-glass).

All this is a lot of "first impressions" and the camera has not yet gone out in the field. So I reserve judgement until I've had a bit more time with it. I'm waffling between "Send it back during the return period" to "It'll grow on me."
But I don't think I'll be getting rid of my 6D and most of my Canon glass quite yet.

Do you have a smart phone Ie.. Iphone, android, you use them through the built in wifi to remote trigger the shutter and other functions.

Leica CL, Voigtlander 21 1.8, 35 2.5, Leica summocron 50, Elmarit 90 and 135, Canon FD 300L,3 yn-560II,Nikon sb 24/29 (the strobest dream), multiple modifiers
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tjh-photography/ (external link)
http://www.tjh-photography.tumblr.com (external link)
http://www.twitter.com​/tjhphotography (external link)

Puckman
Cream of the Crop
6,311 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 17, 2015 11:49 |  #6548

Tjh1023 wrote in post #17521254 (external link)

Do you have a smart phone Ie.. Iphone, android, you use them through the built in wifi to remote trigger the shutter and other functions.

I do. But I am not interested in that. Again, Sony fiddliness. I want a basic RF trigger, if that can be had. I don't necessarily want to switch my phone to a different wifi network (assuming one is available, even if I'm out in the wilderness, with no signal) everytime I want to shoot landscapes.
I might invest in an intervalometer with that mini-USB port at some point. I'd much rather go that route.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,254 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by Charlie.

Apr 17, 2015 11:49 as a reply to  @ Tjh1023's post |  #6549

or use another 2.5mm adapter: http://www.amazon.com …age_o08_s00?ie=​UTF8&psc=1 (external link)

that's the one I use with the yongnuo 603's, triggers fine.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Puckman
Cream of the Crop
6,311 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 17, 2015 11:52 |  #6550

Charlie wrote in post #17521260 (external link)
or use another 2.5mm adapter: http://www.amazon.com …age_o08_s00?ie=​UTF8&psc=1 (external link)

that's the one I use with the yongnuo 603's, triggers fine.

Perfect! That's exactly what I needed. Couldn't find one on Amazon by searching YN's offerings. This will do nicely. Thanks!

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,700 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 17, 2015 12:08 |  #6551

Here's a video for you that explains how to set up your camera for a back focus button and how to toggle between AF and MF using the AF/MF button.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,254 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 17, 2015 12:14 as a reply to  @ navydoc's post |  #6552

+1, took me a while to figure out how to do BBAF. Was pretty irked that I couldnt figure it out for a good bit of time.

that video has a lot of helpful settings,

focus manif Time - no limit
auto review - off
pre-AF - off

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Puckman
Cream of the Crop
6,311 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 17, 2015 12:17 |  #6553

navydoc wrote in post #17521291 (external link)
Here's a video for you that explains how to set up your camera for a back focus button and how to toggle between AF and MF using the AF/MF button.

Hahaha. I was JUST watching that. Really. These days, youtube and forums are way more useful than any documentation or manuals put out by the manufacturers.

Klystron
Goldmember
2,808 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 17, 2015 12:17 |  #6554

A7 with a Sigma 105mm macro

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7722/16991431578_a39568ba13_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rTtw​CS  (external link) DSC01289.jpg (external link) by Andys1 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8822/17179189725_a3e6f05c1b_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/sb4Q​Ai  (external link) DSC01287.jpg (external link) by Andys1 (external link), on Flickr

Sony A9, A7R II, Sony A7 III, A5000
zenfolio (external link) - flickr (external link) - 500px (external link)

Puckman
Cream of the Crop
6,311 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 17, 2015 12:56 |  #6555

Both of those are VERY nice.

And let me say here: Thanks to all who've been helping out with the tips :)

sponsored links

1,379,072 views & 1,495 likes for this thread
Sony A7 models with non-Sony lenses
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.