Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 24 Feb 2014 (Monday) 08:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony A7 models with non-Sony lenses

vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,969 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Apr 17, 2015 13:09 |  #6556

Charlie wrote in post #17521303 (external link)
+1, took me a while to figure out how to do BBAF. Was pretty irked that I couldnt figure it out for a good bit of time.

that video has a lot of helpful settings,

focus manif Time - no limit
auto review - off
pre-AF - off

I was in the same boat. Took a while. Great video!

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

sponsored links
Puckman
Cream of the Crop
6,311 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 17, 2015 13:11 |  #6557

Brought the camera with me to work so I can fiddle....Followed a lot of those abovementioned settings, and things are already starting to feel more familiar. Had to turn off that loud beeping AF confirmation sound too (Audio Signal Off? Really? WTF is an audio signal, Sony? Most of us call it a BEEP).

Can't wait to take it out for a real spin this weekend. I'm still pretty excited (despite the seemingly negative comments I've been posting).

Sony A7RII and a bunch of lenses.

Miranda1
Goldmember
1,347 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined May 2005

Apr 17, 2015 15:02 |  #6558

Some "Glow" bokeh using the Helios 85 F1.5

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7654/16994116689_8a11f09f15_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rTHh​PT  (external link) Glow (external link) by jraposo3072 (external link), on Flickr

Sony A7R2
Canon/Sony Glass: Canon 200 F2, 135 GM,12-24 G, 16-35 GM, 24-70 GM, 90 GM
Zeiss Glass: 55 OTUS, 100 Makro Planar, Contax 100-300
Legacy and M Mount Glass: Leica 90 APO, Zeiss 35 1.4 Distagon, Zeiss 50 1.5 C, Zeiss Biogon 25 ZM, Zeiss 85 Tele-Tessar, Canon 50 F0.95, Meyer-Optik Trioplan 100 F2.8, Zeiss Biotar 58.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,524 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 17, 2015 15:48 |  #6559

Miranda1 wrote in post #17521507 (external link)
Some "Glow" bokeh using the Helios 85 F1.5
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rTHh​PT  (external link) Glow (external link) by jraposo3072 (external link), on Flickr

Very pretty. The overall monochromatic color is nice and the swirly stuff in the bokeh is pretty cool.

Puckman wrote in post #17521370 (external link)
Brought the camera with me to work so I can fiddle....Followed a lot of those abovementioned settings, and things are already starting to feel more familiar. Had to turn off that loud beeping AF confirmation sound too (Audio Signal Off? Really? WTF is an audio signal, Sony? Most of us call it a BEEP).

Can't wait to take it out for a real spin this weekend. I'm still pretty excited (despite the seemingly negative comments I've been posting).

Hehe, I have plenty of negative to say about the a7* cameras. Quite often I do wonder what in the world Sony is thinking. But, nothing is perfect or complete. On the whole I remain very enthusiastic about mine. :)

Hope you like the FE 24-70mm OK...it gets mediocre reviews, yet it seems better in practice than the reviews would indicate. I need to give mine more use - been trying out a lot of stuff lately and have had limited time to give everything a constant workout. I'm planning to give it a lot of work tomorrow at my friend's wedding.

Speaking of lenses, I am almost really really really really really settled...............​I think  :p. Ideally I would like to add a prime in the 85-100mm range (possibly Zeiss Makro Planar 2/100mm or Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 G OSS). And a EF 100-400L II would be a wish as well. But, at this point I am extremely pleased with my updated sig. Hope to post a few I-just-got-a-new-lens-junk-shots from my new 11-24mm later this evening. I'm pretty giddy about that one. What Canon has achieved with the 11-24mm is pretty breathtaking, imo.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

Puckman
Cream of the Crop
6,311 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 17, 2015 15:54 |  #6560

David Arbogast wrote in post #17521563 (external link)
Very pretty. The overall monochromatic color is nice and the swirly stuff in the bokeh is pretty cool.

Hehe, I have plenty of negative to say about the a7* cameras. Quite often I do wonder what in the world Sony is thinking. But, nothing is perfect or complete. On the whole I remain very enthusiastic about mine. :)

Hope you like the FE 24-70mm OK...it gets mediocre reviews, yet it seems better in practice than the reviews would indicate. I need to give mine more use - been trying out a lot of stuff lately and have had limited time to give everything a constant workout. I'm planning to give it a lot of work tomorrow at my friend's wedding.

Speaking of lenses, I am almost really really really really really settled...............​I think  :p. Ideally I would like to add a prime in the 85-100mm range (possibly Zeiss Makro Planar 2/100mm or Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 G OSS). And a EF 100-400L II would be a wish as well. But, at this point I am extremely pleased with my updated sig. Hope to post a few I-just-got-a-new-lens-junk-shots from my new 11-24mm later this evening. I'm pretty giddy about that one. What Canon has achieved with the 11-24mm is pretty breathtaking, imo.

Yeah. That's the main reason I ordered the 24-70 to go with the body and plan on ONLY TAKING THE ONE LENS out this weekend.
I have a habit of lugging around every lens I own (which, if you look at my sig, with the Canon gear, was heavy as hell! One of the reasons I wanted to go mirrorless).
I'm not a pixel peeper. Far from it. I want my pics to be artistically pleasing (to me, really, as I don't have an audience either). I've read the knocks on the 24-70, and I am willing to resell it down the road, once I've settled, but for now I am happy having a one-body, one-lens combination to take out this weekend while I focus on learning the body itself.

I really want to see your 11-24 samples (and hear your thoughts), even though I cannot justify a lens like that any time soon. Did you receive it yesterday? Post some samples! Are you shooting it with the Sony or the 5DIII tomorrow?

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,524 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 17, 2015 16:28 |  #6561

Puckman wrote in post #17521572 (external link)
I'm not a pixel peeper. Far from it. I want my pics to be artistically pleasing (to me, really, as I don't have an audience either).

I'm with you there. That being the case I think the FE 24-70mm should be quite pleasing to you.

I bought mine for one simple reason: Gene kept posting shots from his. I absolutely loved the way the lens rendered in his shots. He was even kind enough to let me examine a couple of raw files. Heck with Photozone and DXO ratings: I loved what I saw. And what I saw was adequate sharpness in a very familiar (and lovely) Zeissy rendering. And Gene was a great salesman: when I got one for my own it was just as good as his images said it was. :D

Yeah - 11-24mm came yesterday. Sadly I've had almost no time with it. Man, you want to talk about heavy lenses - that thing is 2.6 pounds! I snapped a couple of handheld interior architecture shots today - hope to post them up here later this evening. I'll try to use it tomorrow at the wedding, but I think the FE 16-35mm will be a more practical (and easier) choice. Still, 11mm at the reception could be a lot of fun if I can get the framing right. :)

Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,711 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 17, 2015 16:54 |  #6562

David Arbogast wrote in post #17521608 (external link)
I'm with you there. That being the case I think the FE 24-70mm should be quite pleasing to you.

I bought mine for one simple reason: Gene kept posting shots from his. I absolutely loved the way the lens rendered in his shots. He was even kind enough to let me examine a couple of raw files. Heck with Photozone and DXO ratings: I loved what I saw. And what I saw was adequate sharpness in a very familiar (and lovely) Zeissy rendering. And Gene was a great salesman: when I got one for my own it was just as good as his images said it was. :D

Yeah - 11-24mm came yesterday. Sadly I've had almost no time with it. Man, you want to talk about heavy lenses - that thing is 2.6 pounds! I snapped a couple of handheld interior architecture shots today - hope to post them up here later this evening. I'll try to use it tomorrow at the wedding, but I think the FE 16-35mm will be a more practical (and easier) choice. Still, 11mm at the reception could be a lot of fun if I can get the framing right. :)

David, I'll have that commission check in the mail for you soon. :lol:

I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of your camera with your new 11-24mm lens as well as samples from Dean's 24-70.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

Puckman
Cream of the Crop
6,311 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 17, 2015 16:54 |  #6563

I've followed Gene's work ever since he got his A7R (almost 2 years ago now?) so I'm quite familiar with what you mean. His shots do shot this lens in a great light.

Tjh1023
60 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 17, 2015 18:02 |  #6564

Puckman wrote in post #17521258 (external link)
I do. But I am not interested in that. Again, Sony fiddliness. I want a basic RF trigger, if that can be had. I don't necessarily want to switch my phone to a different wifi network (assuming one is available, even if I'm out in the wilderness, with no signal) everytime I want to shoot landscapes.
I might invest in an intervalometer with that mini-USB port at some point. I'd much rather go that route.

the camera itself has the wifi built in so you just connect to it with the sony app. you might also be interested in this http://shop.triggertra​p.com …obile-kit-md3-s2-for-sony (external link)
I am getting one as soon as they are available it will do everything you want as a remote for landscapes.

Leica CL, Voigtlander 21 1.8, 35 2.5, Leica summocron 50, Elmarit 90 and 135, Canon FD 300L,3 yn-560II,Nikon sb 24/29 (the strobest dream), multiple modifiers
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tjh-photography/ (external link)
http://www.tjh-photography.tumblr.com (external link)
http://www.twitter.com​/tjhphotography (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,524 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by David Arbogast. (2 edits in all)

Apr 17, 2015 20:35 |  #6565

Alright, here is a garbage shot...I will be deleting it in a few days. Handheld with the a7R. This is just to show the 11mm FOV.
I did do a tripod shot of my two-story living room and it appears quite sharp, but I need to do more detailed evaluation - especially on the 5D III - to make sure everything is OK with it (not decentered).

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7652/17156968196_cc88041fd4_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/s96W​Uu  (external link)
What's On TV? (external link) by David Arbogast (external link), on Flickr

Puckman
Cream of the Crop
6,311 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 17, 2015 20:52 |  #6566

David Arbogast wrote in post #17521896 (external link)
Alright, here are a couple of garbage shots...I will be deleting them in a few days. They're just handheld with the a7R. They had a lot of ISO noise, so they're terrible samples for sharpness. All that these are good for is showing the 11mm FOV.
I did do a tripod shot of my two-story living room and it appears quite sharp, but I need to do some more evaluation - especially on the 5D III - to make sure everything is OK with it (not decentered).

Our corporate cafe:
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/s96W​Uu  (external link)
What's On TV? (external link) by David Arbogast (external link), on Flickr

And an open area in the office building where I work:
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rS4Q​Dp  (external link)
Ready to Launch (external link) by David Arbogast (external link), on Flickr

That's a nice building you work in! FOV on this thing is ridiculous.
I about to put the Sony thru its paces in a few. Heading out to shoot the car and see how that turns out.
Not taking the 6D so I don't have an excuse to take the easy route. Hehe.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,711 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 17, 2015 20:53 |  #6567

Both shots appear to be pretty distortion free. Did you have to spend much time doing corrections or was there little distortion to begin with?

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,524 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by David Arbogast. (6 edits in all)

Apr 17, 2015 21:05 |  #6568

navydoc wrote in post #17521917 (external link)
Both shots appear to be pretty distortion free. Did you have to spend much time doing corrections or was there little distortion to begin with?

I didn't correct any of the barrel distortion - it's really minimal. Just a touch of perspective correction on the cafe in DXO (vertical lines are vertical/horizontal lines are horizontal), so it is actually very slightly cropped to accommodate that perspective adjustment. No distortion correction though. Nice mostly straight lines (they appear straight).

Fun non-photography fact: the building above with the corporate cafe used to be the headquarters for Marion Merrell Dow, a major pharmaceutical company whose CEO was Ewing Kauffman, founder and original owner of the Kansas City Royals. Kauffman was a wonderful philanthropist and passionate baseball fan. But, when it came to his own offices; he was frugal. I guess one could say he used his money where it made the greatest difference to the most people. He was a great Kansas Citian who is sorely missed and fondly remembered. :)

EDIT: Deleted the second shot from the post above.

Puckman
Cream of the Crop
6,311 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 17, 2015 22:10 |  #6569

Well, the car shoot was a bust. My attempts at MF with the FE 24-70/4 seem to have been hit or miss. The light was fading and I was going handheld (hoping the IBIS would take care of things), but I didn't really zoom in too much with the peaking. Big mistake. I guess having the wheels show peaking doesn't necessarily mean they're in focus. Gotta zoom in closer and double check. Lesson learned.
I blame the fact that this lens doesn't exactly have the longest throw.

Old ­ Baldy
718 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 17, 2015 22:38 |  #6570

Puckman wrote in post #17519243 (external link)
Is that the 500? That thing is huge.

Yep. It is huge. But smaller than the new EF AF lenses....

OB
Gear list
Flickr Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

1,379,589 views & 1,495 likes for this thread
Sony A7 models with non-Sony lenses
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.