Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 20 Apr 2015 (Monday) 20:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

600 EXll Settings w/400 5.6?

Pitter
Goldmember
1,596 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 20, 2015 20:17 |  #1

I'm just starting out with a new 600 EX ll to be used for bird photography with a 7D ll and 400 5.6 combination and am a little overwhelmed by the options. What flash unit settings are recommended to start out with for this set up?

sponsored links
Lenty007
221 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2006

Apr 21, 2015 08:58 |  #2

Hi, my first reaction was ... RTFM (Read The F... Manual) but then again the comby can be overwhelming at first hand.
It so happens that yesterday I had a similar shoot outdoors with a bright sunset on a manege.
There was a lot of space to play with and I took advantage of it with a 5DIII+Tamron 150-600 combo.
The camera was set to fixed flash-syncro at 1/200.
I measured the average background light to be F/7.1 at ISO100
So at 600mm I shot the flash (600EXII) on AV7.1 (diafragma preset) and the flash followed as planned.
Just be aware that the speed will be at 1/200 so every trick you know from the book of handshake can and must be used to avoid camera shake.
BTW sometimes the situation calls for a "P" setting and the combo does the trick even at 1/60.
just be aware what the camera is doing and "brace" yourself accordingly.

Tomorow I'm returning to the manege (with another jocky) and then I'm going to use the flash on a (distand) tripod with a trigger on the camera.

Just to mention that the 600 is a capable flash and will do well on your combo!

If you have a specific problem I'll be happy to (try to) help.

Have fun! Alain

Pitter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,596 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 21, 2015 15:23 as a reply to  @ Lenty007's post |  #3

Thank you for that. Here is the reason I made the post but I should have been more specific straight away. I am using the 7Dll in "manual" mode, ISO 1000, 1/1000 at f 7.1. The 600EX ll is set to ETTL A zone 200 200mm High Speed. I am thinking that this is some how not correct because the flash seems to be emitting about half or two thirds of the light that my 580 EX ll emits when set to ETTL High Speed and mounted on my 7D with the same camera setting as above. By emitting I mean the 600 EX ll seems to have a much shorter reach (half or two thirds the distance) than the 580 and I suspect I'm overlooking something in the settings but can't figure out what. Any help will be much appreciated.

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Apr 21, 2015 15:39 |  #4

i am not aware of a 600EX II flash - are we talking about a canon 600EX-rt - or is it a knock off with similar spec

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by wallstreetoneil.

Apr 21, 2015 16:09 |  #5

Pitter wrote in post #17526766 (external link)
Thank you for that. Here is the reason I made the post but I should have been more specific straight away. I am using the 7Dll in "manual" mode, ISO 1000, 1/1000 at f 7.1. The 600EX ll is set to ETTL A zone 200 200mm High Speed. I am thinking that this is some how not correct because the flash seems to be emitting about half or two thirds of the light that my 580 EX ll emits when set to ETTL High Speed and mounted on my 7D with the same camera setting as above. By emitting I mean the 600 EX ll seems to have a much shorter reach (half or two thirds the distance) than the 580 and I suspect I'm overlooking something in the settings but can't figure out what. Any help will be much appreciated.

just going to go on the assumption that we are talking about a 600EX-rt because I have never heard of a 600EX II

first thing to check - new or fully charged batteries

next check that you don't have any FEC dialed in either on the Flash (+/-) button or on the camera body

since you mentioned the 7D2, the right side exposure meter can be a little tricky and you can forget about it sometimes if you are a person that switches between AV / TV modes often and you then jump to manual and it disappears (this has happened to me a few times) - and especially since my other cameras are 5D3s and I use to it always being on the bottom

- as a test of your flash to see if it is actually working properly, I would put on a short lens (35mm - doesn't matter) and then put the flash in Manual Mode and make sure it is either in A (Automatic focal length mode) or switch the focal length to the length you put on your camera
- next, set your aperture, SS, ISO to reduce Ambient to -3ev (lets say 1/60, F8, iso 100)
- set you flash power, on the flash to 1/8th power
- look at the back of you flash after you wake up the camera when you press the shutter button 1/2 way - a distance in Meters will appear (lets say it is 2 meters)
- take a picture of something 2m away and see if you have proper exposure?
- if you have proper exposure then your flash is working
- if it is under exposed, make sure you double check that you do not have FEC either on the flash on on the camera
- if you don't, and you have fresh batteries, then you have a bad flash

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

Pitter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,596 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 21, 2015 17:03 |  #6

Yes I meant rt sorry. Ok thank you that was very helpful. I'll do some more testing with your suggestions.

sponsored links

1,069 views & 2 likes for this thread
600 EXll Settings w/400 5.6?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.