Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2015 (Thursday) 07:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

OFFICIAL : 5DS and 5DS R Announced

AJSJones
Goldmember
2,646 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2001

Apr 16, 2015 00:45 |  #1156

idkdc wrote in post #17519212 (external link)
Right, I remember that. I thought ETTR was a Canon thing, overexpose and bring it down, while Nikon is the opposite, underexpose and bring it up in post. Is this correct?

If you don't set your (desired) highlights just below saturation, you lose DR in either system. If you have DR to spare, you can keep the higher highlights if you so choose.

My picture galleries (external link)

sponsored links
sploo
premature adulation
2,269 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 16, 2015 03:14 as a reply to  @ AJSJones's post |  #1157

idkdc wrote in post #17519212 (external link)
Right, I remember that. I thought ETTR was a Canon thing, overexpose and bring it down, while Nikon is the opposite, underexpose and bring it up in post. Is this correct?

It's just a general technique for getting good signal-to-noise from the sensor and fine gradations in the digital image. AFAIU it should be applicable to just about any sensor or brand.

As AJS has noted - it's about setting desired highlights just below saturation. I.e. put the brightest detail you want to keep as far to the right of the histogram as possible. That way, you'll drag the best possible quality from the sensor, whilst keeping the highlights you wanted. How much (usable) shadow detail you get is then a function of the system's DR.

Obviously if a scene has very low contrast, it's entirely possible it'll look overexposed in camera (i.e. a small range of brightnesses on the histogram, all bunched up to the right). If a scene has wide DR then it's possible the majority of the scene may look underexposed, as putting your chosen highlight at the right of the histogram results in the other detail being a bit dark (i.e. a light in a night street scene). That's not too much of a problem with a sensor with good DR, as you can still recover good detail from the darker areas.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

idkdc
Goldmember
2,837 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Apr 16, 2015 10:07 |  #1158

AJSJones wrote in post #17519272 (external link)
If you don't set your (desired) highlights just below saturation, you lose DR in either system. If you have DR to spare, you can keep the higher highlights if you so choose.

sploo wrote in post #17519365 (external link)
It's just a general technique for getting good signal-to-noise from the sensor and fine gradations in the digital image. AFAIU it should be applicable to just about any sensor or brand.

As AJS has noted - it's about setting desired highlights just below saturation. I.e. put the brightest detail you want to keep as far to the right of the histogram as possible. That way, you'll drag the best possible quality from the sensor, whilst keeping the highlights you wanted. How much (usable) shadow detail you get is then a function of the system's DR.

Obviously if a scene has very low contrast, it's entirely possible it'll look overexposed in camera (i.e. a small range of brightnesses on the histogram, all bunched up to the right). If a scene has wide DR then it's possible the majority of the scene may look underexposed, as putting your chosen highlight at the right of the histogram results in the other detail being a bit dark (i.e. a light in a night street scene). That's not too much of a problem with a sensor with good DR, as you can still recover good detail from the darker areas.

Got it. Thanks! I usually just bracket, but I'll give it a try for a landscape scene that only works with one exposure without gnds.

1DXII(2) | 5D4 | D850 | 8-800mm

sploo
premature adulation
2,269 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 16, 2015 15:34 |  #1159

idkdc wrote in post #17519704 (external link)
Got it. Thanks! I usually just bracket, but I'll give it a try for a landscape scene that only works with one exposure without gnds.

You're welcome.

It's entirely possible that if you bracket (especially a 5 or 7 shot burst with 1 stop between each exposure) that one of your exposures would basically end up with what you'd get by going ETTR on a single shot (i.e. it'd be the one where your desired brightest detail was just below clipping).

However, if bracketing works for you now (i.e. you don't get issues with motion between the images and you're happy to spend the time blending the images) then you'll always get better results, as you'll likely have an image with blown highlights (which are discarded for the highlights in a darker frame) but your mid and shadow detail is then coming from that brighter exposure - thus having better signal to noise ratio, and thus having much more quality.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

dolina
Goldmember
4,796 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 21, 2015 12:57 |  #1160

For those who reserved what will you be using the 5DS or 5DS R for? Wildlife? Birds? Landscape? Studio?

Visit my Flickr (external link), Facebook (external link) & 500px (external link) and see my photos. :)

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,745 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 21, 2015 13:29 |  #1161

dolina wrote in post #17526557 (external link)
For those who reserved what will you be using the 5DS or 5DS R for? Wildlife? Birds? Landscape? Studio?

id pre pre order it if it had the DR that matches a d810/a7r

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
2,085 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Apr 21, 2015 13:43 |  #1162

dolina wrote in post #17526557 (external link)

I have pre-ordered a 5DS R

I am going to try it for none of your options exactly but for on-site bridal and groom portraits where time permits for proper lighting.

Before I pay for it, I am going to bring to the store a few fabrics that I believe might cause aliasing and then take some pictures (no flash, on and off camera flash) and test it out. I have a good relationship with my store and they have assured me that I can test it all day long in the store - in fact they told me they would offer up some help because they want to know themselves and I will be getting the first R in their store - every other pre-order, at the time of my order, was for the non R version.

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
That's my line!
8,573 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Apr 21, 2015 14:18 |  #1163

jonneymendoza wrote in post #17526622 (external link)

interesting. i've never heard of d810 or a7r. Maybe we could strike up a conversation about it in this thread?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,647 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 21, 2015 15:30 |  #1164

The sarcasm is strong in this one :lol:

Gear List

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,745 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 21, 2015 15:31 |  #1165

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17526677 (external link)
interesting. i've never heard of d810 or a7r. Maybe we could strike up a conversation about it in this thread?

Use your right hand..

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

dolina
Goldmember
4,796 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 21, 2015 15:54 |  #1166

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #17526634 (external link)
I have pre-ordered a 5DS R

I am going to try it for none of your options exactly but for on-site bridal and groom portraits where time permits for proper lighting.

Before I pay for it, I am going to bring to the store a few fabrics that I believe might cause aliasing and then take some pictures (no flash, on and off camera flash) and test it out. I have a good relationship with my store and they have assured me that I can test it all day long in the store - in fact they told me they would offer up some help because they want to know themselves and I will be getting the first R in their store - every other pre-order, at the time of my order, was for the non R version.

Does your clientele require 50MP stills or large format prints?

Visit my Flickr (external link), Facebook (external link) & 500px (external link) and see my photos. :)

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
2,085 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Apr 21, 2015 16:20 as a reply to  @ dolina's post |  #1167

no - it is for my own curiosity to see if I can tell the difference

i have a suspicion that while my 5D3s have been great cameras, what I think is coming next for me is a move away from all-round good cameras (5D3s / 4s when they arrive) to a more bar-belled approach - a 50mega pixel great low ISO camera and a 12-16 mega pixel great high ISO camera

when i heard the rumour about the 5Dc (cinema) type camera that will have less megapixels (16-18) on full frame, this is where I want to go as I have almost bought an A7S a number of times but it isn't sharp enough when cropped - i want 1Dx type ISO in a smaller body with quieter shutter and great high ISO - and I want a megapixel monster

that is what I think

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,745 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 21, 2015 17:18 |  #1168

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #17526821 (external link)
no - it is for my own curiosity to see if I can tell the difference

i have a suspicion that while my 5D3s have been great cameras, what I think is coming next for me is a move away from all-round good cameras (5D3s / 4s when they arrive) to a more bar-belled approach - a 50mega pixel great low ISO camera and a 12-16 mega pixel great high ISO camera

when i heard the rumour about the 5Dc (cinema) type camera that will have less megapixels (16-18) on full frame, this is where I want to go as I have almost bought an A7S a number of times but it isn't sharp enough when cropped - i want 1Dx type ISO in a smaller body with quieter shutter and great high ISO - and I want a megapixel monster

that is what I think

im with u all the way except for the fact that this camera needs that DR to make use of such high mega pixels.

Canon need this to have amazing DR else this camera will only be geared towards studio work where they dont need much DR.

This is what canon need.

a camera that does landscape/fashion shoot = high MP high DR

A rounder that does a bit of both = 5d3

A low light fast AF in the dark action camera = a 1dx with 16mp and HIGH ISO performance that is the same as an A7S plus AF at -3 ev!!

FFS CANON DO IT ALREADY!!! JESUS

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 21, 2015 18:15 |  #1169

jonneymendoza wrote in post #17526902 (external link)
im with u all the way except for the fact that this camera needs that DR to make use of such high mega pixels.

Canon need this to have amazing DR else this camera will only be geared towards studio work where they dont need much DR.

This is what canon need.

a camera that does landscape/fashion shoot = high MP high DR

A rounder that does a bit of both = 5d3

A low light fast AF in the dark action camera = a 1dx with 16mp and HIGH ISO performance that is the same as an A7S plus AF at -3 ev!!

FFS CANON DO IT ALREADY!!! JESUS

You made of money man? Ha ha 3 high-end cameras would be after winning the lottery for me.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 21, 2015 23:20 |  #1170

jonneymendoza wrote in post #17526622 (external link)

How does that have anything to do with the question that was asked?

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

sponsored links

285,737 views & 241 likes for this thread
OFFICIAL : 5DS and 5DS R Announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.