Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 21 Apr 2015 (Tuesday) 10:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Garden of Gods Engagement session, couple questions

digitalduck
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Apr 21, 2015 10:58 |  #1

Hello everyone,

Ok so I'm fine with my portrait business but was wondering something for an upcoming engagement session in GOTG in Colorado. I typically bring a 60" shoot through wiht strobe for family stuff but also have a soft box I thought about bringing since its just the two of them.

Could I do fine with just the soft box and strobe instead of speedlight? Its a surprise setup where she wont know its going to happen so I thought having the soft box and shooting my wife and daughter would be the cover etc until I need to shoot them...

Thank You

tim
Light Bringer
50,985 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 21, 2015 16:57 |  #2

My wife wouldn't be happy with a surprise session, she'd want to choose her clothes and do her makeup.

Engagement sessions I do very light, on camera flash only, as I use an assistant for off camera light at weddings. Having to do it slows things down, my main aim at engagement sessions is to build the relationship with the couple, not to get great photos. Might be different in the USA though.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Apr 21, 2015 18:11 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #3

No its the same here :) I'm a good friend of the guy and it was his idea to capture the proposal so it wont be as large of a typical portrait session for me. Was more curious about the need of something like a 60" rather then a soft box closer. Truth be told I could just use my 70-200 and be fine with the lighting in that area.

tim
Light Bringer
50,985 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 21, 2015 18:20 |  #4

So you're capturing a proposal not an engagement session? Stealth is probably important initially, unless you can make up a reason to be there. After that I suspect being able to move quickly may be a good idea, rather than carting around a bunch of gear you had to hide earlier because it would make her suspicious.

Suggest a proper engagement session is planned for the time that suits her, rather than springing it on her. Immediately after getting engaged photos probably won't be her focus - if you get any time you may get a few minutes unless they're photo mad.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Apr 21, 2015 18:54 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #5

Good points Tim, funny thing is that i was going to have my wife/family there to be my subjects (reason for being there) however, I need to clarify with him tomorrow if hes' looking for a session? or just looking for me to capture the proposal. Good question Tim and probably something he hadn't thought of..especially the makeup portion ;)

Thanks

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

773 views & 0 likes for this thread
Garden of Gods Engagement session, couple questions
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.