Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 31 Mar 2015 (Tuesday) 13:13
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Which suite/tools do you use when post processing? "
OneOne Suite
13.4%
NIK collection
11.9%
Topaz labs
9%
Combination of above
3%
Other
62.7%

67 voters, 67 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POLL: What do you prefer for post-processing?

WebDevGuy
Goldmember
1,472 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 31, 2015 13:13 |  #1

I know that most pro-photographers, etc. use at least LR, PS and/or Aperture.

Beyond, this, what else do you prefer to use on a regular or semi-regular basis? OnOne suite, Topaz labs, NIK collection, etc?

I'm thinking about purchasing something to make my photos "pop" more. I realize there's alot of factors that come into play (BW, HDR, selection tools, etc...) I'm just curious as to what some of you awesome photographers use regularly.

Thanks!

7D Mark ii, T1i/500D, 17-55 2.8, 100-400L mk II - More Gear
flickr (external link)
Join the group: Canon 7D Mark II + Canon 100-400mm L IS II on flickr (external link)
5 out of 4 people can't do fractions.

sponsored links
joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,323 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Mar 31, 2015 13:33 |  #2

Not to present myself as an "awesome" photographer, but why do you think you need any of those tools to make your photos "pop"? I guess what I'm missing here is the meaning of "pop". Or maybe it's my lack of understanding that is keeping me from creating awesome photos. :(

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

WebDevGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,472 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 31, 2015 13:37 |  #3

joedlh wrote in post #17499463 (external link)
Not to present myself as an "awesome" photographer, but why do you think you need any of those tools to make your photos "pop"? I guess what I'm missing here is the meaning of "pop". Or maybe it's my lack of understanding that is keeping me from creating awesome photos. :(

Thanks for your input! I guess "pop" is hard to describe. It just "pops"! lol

For example, Kester's photos POP. https://www.flickr.com​/photos/kesterc (external link) (Very sharp, bright, vibrant, not overdone, etc...) I know it's a combination of good equipment, technique and post-processing. So, I'm focusing on the post-processing part. (If you have good equipment and technique already.)

Hope that makes sense. :)

flickr (external link)
Join the group: Canon 7D Mark II + Canon 100-400mm L IS II on flickr (external link)

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,873 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 31, 2015 13:52 as a reply to  @ WebDevGuy's post |  #4

Those images are also shot in mostly bright light at smaller apertures (f/8 or so), moderate ISO (800) high shutter speed and large focal length (500mm). This technique creates huge DOF separation between the subject and background, minimizes the effect of camera shake at the long focal length, and gives the image nice, natural color, contrast and acutance.

I would guess that the artist makes pretty minimal adjustments to the images - it looks like they are converted in ACR and finished in PS. Look at the EXIF data in the bird images, for example.

They are extraordinary images. It's good to have a goal for improving technique!

kirk

Kirk
---

WebDevGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,472 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 31, 2015 14:26 |  #5

kirkt wrote in post #17499497 (external link)
Those images are also shot in mostly bright light at smaller apertures (f/8 or so), moderate ISO (800) high shutter speed and large focal length (500mm). This technique creates huge DOF separation between the subject and background, minimizes the effect of camera shake at the long focal length, and gives the image nice, natural color, contrast and acutance.

I would guess that the artist makes pretty minimal adjustments to the images - it looks like they are converted in ACR and finished in PS. Look at the EXIF data in the bird images, for example.

They are extraordinary images. It's good to have a goal for improving technique!

kirk

Thanks for the insight Kirk! :)

flickr (external link)

ETS
753 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 31, 2015 17:06 |  #6

Yeah, those kinds of bird images are done by shooting in good light with good technique. Very little done in post.

Fuji X-T2,5D MKII,Rebel XTi
17-40L, 70-200 F4L, 400mm F5.6L, 100mm F2.8L, Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art
580 EX II

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,013 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 31, 2015 19:24 |  #7

I "JUST" use LR (4.4) and PS (CS5) for my image editing. I don't bother with plug ins etc, as I find that I can get most of the effects that I am after without them. I do use a few presets in LR, mostly for monochrome conversion or basic starting points, but they are all ones that I have created myself.

I think you should have had the option for None as well as for Other, as Other implies that you are using something else that is not listed.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

WebDevGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,472 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 31, 2015 19:39 |  #8

BigAl007 wrote in post #17499884 (external link)
I "JUST" use LR (4.4) and PS (CS5) for my image editing. I don't bother with plug ins etc, as I find that I can get most of the effects that I am after without them. I do use a few presets in LR, mostly for monochrome conversion or basic starting points, but they are all ones that I have created myself.

I think you should have had the option for None as well as for Other, as Other implies that you are using something else that is not listed.

Alan

Good point! Thanks Alan.

flickr (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,424 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Mar 31, 2015 22:13 |  #9

I am the same as Alan. I like fairly extreme black and white and I did mess about with Nik but after some practice found that I could get the effect I wanted just with Lightroom.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

PCousins
Goldmember
1,218 posts
Gallery: 776 photos
Joined Nov 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by PCousins. (2 edits in all)

Apr 01, 2015 00:52 |  #10

I use mostly Canon's DPP (Digital Photo Professional) and for any tricky post processing "Photoshop" which I've not mastered yet.
There needed to be more Options to choose from in the Poll as there are so many great packages out there because of this the majority of people are going to vote for OTHER, it would of been interesting to see a breakdown of the most popular tools

RodneyCyr
637 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 01, 2015 10:24 |  #11

PCousins wrote in post #17500215 (external link)
I use mostly Canon's DPP (Digital Photo Professional) and for any tricky post processing "Photoshop" which I've not mastered yet.
There needed to be more Options to choose from in the Poll as there are so many great packages out there because of this the majority of people are going to vote for OTHER, it would of been interesting to see a breakdown of the most popular tools

I agree that there should have been more choices. I would have included the software popular on this forum - DPP, Lightroom, Aperture, etc., and made the poll should be multiple choice. And the choices could include my personal favorites (which don't seem to be as popular) - DxO, DxO Viewpoint, Paint Shop Pro. I suggest that other members post their favorites, and later we could make a new poll. (I am not sure how to do it myself.)

Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 10-22EFs, 15-85EFS IS, Sigma 18-300, Canon 60mm EFs Macro, Rokinon 8mm fisheye, 550EX flash, Olympus TG2 underwater P&S
Postprocessing: DxOLabs, DxO Viewpoint 3, Paint Shop Pro X9
Speak softly and carry a big zoom.

WebDevGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,472 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 01, 2015 12:52 |  #12

RodneyCyr wrote in post #17500565 (external link)
I agree that there should have been more choices. I would have included the software popular on this forum - DPP, Lightroom, Aperture, etc., and made the poll should be multiple choice. And the choices could include my personal favorites (which don't seem to be as popular) - DxO, DxO Viewpoint, Paint Shop Pro. I suggest that other members post their favorites, and later we could make a new poll. (I am not sure how to do it myself.)

I'll modify it if I can. Not sure if I can.

flickr (external link)

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 21, 2015 19:24 |  #13

BigAl007 wrote in post #17499884 (external link)

Alan

Exactly because I use NONE of them listed.

stevewf1
779 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 26, 2015 11:59 |  #14

I use Lightroom 5.7 and Elements 11. Those two confuse me enough...

Steve

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 26, 2015 12:02 |  #15

Photoshop. CS5.

When I got moving, there was nothing even close. Huge learning curve but, in the end, worth it.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

sponsored links

4,961 views & 0 likes for this thread
POLL: What do you prefer for post-processing?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.