Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 21 Apr 2015 (Tuesday) 22:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom 6 ~ 'Upgrade' Link

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,131 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 21, 2015 22:32 |  #1

I have not found any "Lightroom 6 Released!" threads today, but then I am not very good seaching on this forum :oops:

Anywho, Adobe has done a good job in hiding links of how to buy the "Upgrade" from ver. 5, so - below is how to get to the $79 upgrade link.

Click 'Buy" next to Lightroom 6 and then choose "Upgrade". It worked for me, but I have not pulled the trigger yet until I see if my PC can benefit from speed enhancements...

http://photorumors.com …ion-of-adobe-lightroom-6/ (external link)

Will immaculens.com (external link)

7Dmk II gripped | 5Dc | 150-600 (Σ) OS C | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 30 Σ f/1.4 'A'
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

sponsored links
urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,055 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 21, 2015 22:53 |  #2

Mine just showed up in my CC manager. Upgraded free of charge about 5 hrs ago

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,294 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Post edited over 4 years ago by Dan Marchant.

Apr 22, 2015 05:50 |  #3

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #17527309 (external link)
Mine just showed up in my CC manager. Upgraded free of charge about 5 hrs ago

Some of us don't use CC, hence the need for an upgrade link.
I notice though that there is no "trial" link for the stand alone LR. The only way to trial it seems to sign up for a CC account.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

DunnoWhen
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 22, 2015 06:07 |  #4

Dan Marchant wrote in post #17527578 (external link)
Some of us don't use CC, hence the need for an upgrade link.
I notice though that there is no "trial" link for the stand alone LR. The only way to trial it seems to sign up for a CC account.

If they don't provide a link for LR6 Standalone Trial, if can't evaluate it, and if I can't evaluate it, I won't buy it. Simples! :-(

My wisdom is learned from the experience of others.

Immaculens
THREAD ­ STARTER
creeped by the TF....
13,131 posts
Joined Jul 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by Immaculens.

Apr 22, 2015 06:19 |  #5

DunnoWhen wrote in post #17527590 (external link)
If they don't provide a link for LR6 Standalone Trial, if can't evaluate it, and if I can't evaluate it, I won't buy it. Simples! :-(

If I recall correctly - there is always a brief wait for the trial option to appear. The new features are not so mind blowing that I must buy it today...

And, I don't have a graphics card so I can't make use of the one main new feature I want anyways... speed enhancements

7Dmk II gripped | 5Dc | 150-600 (Σ) OS C | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 30 Σ f/1.4 'A'

GoHokiesGo
783 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 22, 2015 08:22 |  #6

So it sounds like the only big upgrades are that it has a panorama merge, HDR merge, and facial recognition functions added in?

While it is nice to have those built-in, the freebie options from Microsoft ICE and Canon's HDR are decent for free.

Will have to wait for reviews to see if any other updates were significantly improved - LR5 has been really nice though overall.

~Jason
Canon 6D -¤- Canon 60D
Canon16-35/4LIS -¤- Canon 24-105/4LIS -¤- Canon 135/2L -¤- Canon 70-200/4L
Canon 50/1.8 STM -¤- Sigma 30/1.4 EX -¤- Samyang 14/2.8
Travel Website - Jason Peacott Photography (external link)

davidcrebelxt
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 22, 2015 12:56 |  #7

Thanks for the link.

I saw it at one point yesterday, but then going to Adobe page last night could not find it for anything. (Not exactly true... I just didn't feel like searching.)

So I decided to have some fun and use the "chat help" link... and railed on them for obfuscating not only the Upgrade pricing but the buying of standalone in general. She kindly sent me the proper link and I asked them to contact the webmaster to fix this as I recall similar problems with LR5.

NOTE: (They seem to have fixed it, but last night when signed in and searching for Lightroom and selecting BUY it would take you to a full page trying to force CC on you with absolutely no option or comment of a standalone version. I REALLY did not appreciate that and made sure to let them know. It's no longer doing that thankfully... but hiding the upgrade under two drop down menus is still poor form.)

David C.
Equipment: Canon Dig. Rebel XT; 18-55mm EF-S; 28-105mm EF; 50mm 1.8 EF
Sigma ef-500 DG ST, Elements, Gimp, Lightroom
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dcrebelxt (external link)

fqo63
56 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 23, 2015 07:52 as a reply to  @ davidcrebelxt's post |  #8

I bought, paid for, DL'ed, and installed the LR6 upgrade. When asked, put in the new serial number furnished by Adobe. At that point I got an error message stating that I had to be connected to the internet in order to validate the new SN. I AM CONNECTED.

So far, I cannot use my copy of LR6.

Too bad Adobe did not go through a Beta test...

5D3 7D 17-40L 24-105L 100-400L 17-85 18-200 75-300 Siggy 170-500 Tamy 28-300 Metz 45 & 60 strobes, other stuff...

werds
"Yes, Sire. You'll shut your trap!"
613 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 23, 2015 08:03 |  #9

davidcrebelxt wrote in post #17528114 (external link)
Thanks for the link.

I saw it at one point yesterday, but then going to Adobe page last night could not find it for anything. (Not exactly true... I just didn't feel like searching.)

So I decided to have some fun and use the "chat help" link... and railed on them for obfuscating not only the Upgrade pricing but the buying of standalone in general. She kindly sent me the proper link and I asked them to contact the webmaster to fix this as I recall similar problems with LR5.

NOTE: (They seem to have fixed it, but last night when signed in and searching for Lightroom and selecting BUY it would take you to a full page trying to force CC on you with absolutely no option or comment of a standalone version. I REALLY did not appreciate that and made sure to let them know. It's no longer doing that thankfully... but hiding the upgrade under two drop down menus is still poor form.)

Yea that pissed me off last night too - they made it ridiculously difficult to locate the standalone version...but based on all the "bugs" and issues people are posting about since it dropped I think I will sit on my hands for a few weeks first.

Gear: Nikon D750, Nikon D7200, Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS HSM EX , Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Tamron 28-300mm Di VC PZD, Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD, Tamron 150-600 VC, Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8, Nikon SB-900
POTN Seller Feedback (and other)

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,192 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 23, 2015 10:17 |  #10

They make it ridiculously difficult to give them money.... Just tried now for 20 min to buy LR6 and ended several times at different dead ends. And yes, it might be my settings / blocks on my browser - but I am an frequent internet shopper and never had encountered so many difficulties to buy a product... :rolleyes:

Donate if you love POTN

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 23, 2015 10:45 |  #11

hard to find link and then the checkout button did not work in any browser I tried. I finally got the order in via live chat. I rarely use photoshop so CS6 will do just fine for years to come, I do just about everything in LR and with several plugins. So CC is not a valid option for me at all and I don't like being locked in for life anyway.

No issues otherwise, once I entered the serial number and located a prior serial number to activate the upgrade, everything seems to work fine. So far no issues.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

Kirth ­ Gersen
220 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Apr 23, 2015 10:54 |  #12

Thanks for the link. I agree with the comments above, its a disgrace the way they are overpromoting CC, and doing their level best to force people to move away from the standalone product. For example, on firing up LR on my desktop today, I got an update alert. Clicking on it sent me to the main LR website inviting to download (guess what) LR CC.

I have just had 7 painful days arguing with Adobe about suddenly not being having access to the develop module in my laptop version of LR5. In short:

• I had trialled CC but not bought it.
  • In doing so I had unknowingly overwritten the standalone product serial number in my Adobe account, and the product appeared to be no longer registered.
  • I could not find the email from Adobe with the serial no on. Which of course makes me a criminal.
  • And so I was effectively told I had to repurchase.
  • Fortunately, hidden away in a post on a forum I came across a note to the effect that the serial number is in a file on your computer ending in .lrreg.

So I managed to reregister after all, though the product still does not show up in my Adobe account :(.

Canon 6D: Canon 85mm f/1.8 ~ Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 ~ 70-300mm f/4.0 - f/5.6 ~ Carl Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 ~ Carl Zeiss 100mm f/2.0
Fuji X100F
Leica M6: Leica Sumicron 35mm ~ Leica Sumicron 75mm
Pentax 67: Pentax 105mm f/2.4 ~ Pentax 55mm f/4.0

Immaculens
THREAD ­ STARTER
creeped by the TF....
13,131 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 23, 2015 11:17 |  #13

I went through similar headache as you Kirth, I began downloading but realized it was the CC... I did proceed to install Lr but it gave no indication (3 days ago) that I was actually installing Lr6 but only showed I was installing Lr5 OVER my current Lr5...

so I tried uninstalling all of that which was quite troublesome and finally reinstalled my Lr5.

Those who upgraded to Lr5 from Lr 4 last year might remember that even a year ago Adobe was slow to post the "Try" for the download.

Remains to be seen if we will have an option ever to do this again.

Bummer my new Sigma lens is not supported in Lr 5.7.1..... not a huge deal

jc1350
158 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 23, 2015 12:29 |  #14

I have the CC bundle, so I didn't purchase anything, but I had no problems getting to the upgrade for Lr 6.

I typed "adobe.com/lightroom" in my browser, adobe.com responded and redirected me to the correct URL.

I scrolled all the way down and Lr 6 is in the lower-right-hand corner.

I clicked "buy now" and in the form, I changed the drop-downs (I want to buy full/upgrade and "I have Lightroom 5) and got the $79 price. I stopped at that point.

--
John

werds
"Yes, Sire. You'll shut your trap!"
613 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by werds.

Apr 23, 2015 13:27 |  #15

jc1350 wrote in post #17529486 (external link)
I have the CC bundle, so I didn't purchase anything, but I had no problems getting to the upgrade for Lr 6.

I typed "adobe.com/lightroom" in my browser, adobe.com responded and redirected me to the correct URL.

I scrolled all the way down and Lr 6 is in the lower-right-hand corner.

I clicked "buy now" and in the form, I changed the drop-downs (I want to buy full/upgrade and "I have Lightroom 5) and got the $79 price. I stopped at that point.

When did you do that? Because when I tried yesterday, yes I was able to scroll to the bottom and the right and click on the "no mobile applications" version but when it pulled up a shopping cart it had CC in it... and I had to go through a different drop down to pull up the correct version.

The first issue is how our of the whole landing page for LR you have to scroll through and locate the one non-obvious link for the desktop version and then for me at least when I did that CC was still pushed!

I am not a business owner, I do not use LR to make money, it is hobby for me and the price of the desktop version for me comes out just right compared to a monthly sub. The manner in which they "hid" the desktop version on that landing page is insanely annoying, even to a person like me that EXPECTED it to not be obvious...

Gear: Nikon D750, Nikon D7200, Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS HSM EX , Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Tamron 28-300mm Di VC PZD, Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD, Tamron 150-600 VC, Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8, Nikon SB-900
POTN Seller Feedback (and other)

sponsored links

8,812 views & 2 likes for this thread
Lightroom 6 ~ 'Upgrade' Link
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.