Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 14 Apr 2014 (Monday) 11:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Destination Weddings to Canada and the Law

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,363 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jul 19, 2014 16:42 |  #106

Fernando wrote in post #17042144 (external link)
Not true. The contract is valid wherever it's defined to be valid. I sign Global agreements regularly.

The contract may be valid between the two parties that signed it but is irrelevant in that it does not have the power to alter Canadian law. The fact that someone signed a contract in the US to travel to Canada and work doesn't mean the Canadian immigration have to let them in to work.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

sponsored links
Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 19, 2014 21:11 |  #107
bannedPermanent ban

Exactly right...and my direct experience in another industry. It means diddly squat what the signed contract dictates...if you are going into a foreign country to work, you must adhere to the immigration laws of that foreign country...no matter what your contract says.

Dan Marchant wrote in post #17042345 (external link)
The contract may be valid between the two parties that signed it but is irrelevant in that it does not have the power to alter Canadian law. The fact that someone signed a contract in the US to travel to Canada and work doesn't mean the Canadian immigration have to let them in to work.

AlFooteIII
444 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Jul 19, 2014 23:00 |  #108

sandpiper wrote in post #17041993 (external link)
As happened the last time this went around, you are not interested in finding out the truth, just in defending your view that a work permit is not required. Your view seems to be based purely upon your idea of how you would like it to be, rather than the actual laws, and your arguments make no legal sense.

It would take you a few minutes with Google to find out the truth, or to call the appropriate Canadian office that deals with these matters. This has repeatedly been suggested to you, yet you have never done the simple thing that would give you the answer, I can only presume this is because you know that would give you the wrong answer and leave you no straws to clutch at.

^^^ This.

Specializing in Theatrical Photography. See my work at:
www.alfoote3photograph​y.com/ (external link)
www.facebook.com/alfoo​te3photography (external link)

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 20, 2014 13:45 |  #109

Dan Marchant wrote in post #17042345 (external link)

Misunderstood your point as we have been in agreement through this whole thread. No contracts can circumvent the law.

"No your honor, we're allowed to use blind 8-year old's to manufacture our widgets, it's in our contract."

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 22, 2015 11:24 |  #110

Different jurisdiction, but same principle applies...

http://petapixel.com …for-illegal-photo-shoots/ (external link)

Joel

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 22, 2015 18:13 as a reply to  @ joeblack2022's post |  #111

Ive been wondering about this. I am a Canadian citizen but living in the states. I have lots of friends in Canada but I havent marketed to them or others because of not knowing the rules. I keep meaning to ask customs when I get there and after 17 hours in the car I just want to get where im going to sleep. :D

Canon investor

Dan ­ Marchant
5,363 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 22, 2015 20:41 |  #112

GerryDavid wrote in post #17528510 (external link)
I am a Canadian citizen but living in the states. I have lots of friends in Canada but I havent marketed to them or others because of not knowing the rules. I keep meaning to ask customs when I get there and after 17 hours in the car I just want to get where im going to sleep. :D

Not really applicable to this topic (which is about foreigners travelling to a country without a work visa). You are a Canadian citizen so obviously you can market to your friends there and work in Canada.

Dan Marchant
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

JasonMK
Goldmember
1,377 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 24, 2015 05:21 |  #113

joeblack2022 wrote in post #17527987 (external link)
Different jurisdiction, but same principle applies...

http://petapixel.com …for-illegal-photo-shoots/ (external link)

After reading that article my only question is...did they get to keep the photos?

-JasonMK on Flickr (external link)
1Ds Mark III | 650D | EF 17~40mm 4L | EF-S 18~135 STM | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro | Tamron 70~300mm 4.0-5.6 Di VC USD XLD | 430 EX III | 430 EX II | Lowepro SlingShot 100 AW | EF 25 II | PS CC | LR CC

Dan ­ Marchant
5,363 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 24, 2015 09:39 |  #114

Interestingly if you look closely at the company involved this was actually tourism. It was a photo workshop, which means most of the people there were on holiday - travelling to exotic locations to shoot interesting landscapes/bikini-clad women. Only the guides could really be considered to be working and thus in breach of their visa.

Dan Marchant

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,275 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 24, 2015 09:58 |  #115

Dan Marchant wrote in post #17530708 (external link)
Interestingly if you look closely at the company involved this was actually tourism. It was a photo workshop, which means most of the people there were on holiday - travelling to exotic locations to shoot interesting landscapes/bikini-clad women. Only the guides could really be considered to be working and thus in breach of their visa.

Interesting thought Dan. You can imagine from an immigration perspective though that determining who was there for what purpose might not have been paramount to the authorities. Another issue that could have come into play is the fact that even though Bali is a vacation paradise for many it remains part of an extremely conservative country. Bali is a little more liberal than the rest of the country but even there public affection between couples is frowned upon. One could well imagine that authorities felt the country was better off without a group of foreigners partaking in a pro looking shoot of bikini clad women. What their interpretation of events was is pure speculation on our part and likely very different from theirs. First rule of traveling? Respect the locals. Basic rule of photography? When you photograph make sure you're doing it legally.

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

sponsored links

19,580 views & 0 likes for this thread
Destination Weddings to Canada and the Law
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.