Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 07 Apr 2015 (Tuesday) 12:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Trip to CA soon and want to be prepared, need advice

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by digitalduck.

Apr 21, 2015 10:04 |  #16

Hi everyone, so I was a look at everything and had a few questions:

1. Can I do an ND circular and then a 100mm NDG in holder? I was looking at the Haida circular because its $30 cheaper then then 100mm

2. I'm trying to find a cheap 100mm holder but it would have to be a wide holder also. Id be using my Sigma 17-50 mostly on the 17 side since im on a crop body and would probably pick up some vinyetting correct? I had trouble finding a 100mm wide holder...

3. what would be a good, inexpensive ND and NDG combo if i went that route? I cant do the Lee BS and an NDG,

sponsored links
digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Apr 23, 2015 18:43 |  #17

Hi guys,

I am nearing my filter decision and still have so many questions as to which direction I should be going in.
While I know everyone would say Lee, and while I would probably agree, I still have been looking at brands like Haida and even Cokin Z but when it comes to buying a 10stop ND plus a Grad ND and holder then I have to plan better overall. So here is what I have come up with so far but I would love it if anything else could be added to the list.
Also, I would ideally like to use 100mm for both but I could get away with a screw in ND plus 100mm Grad ND… but I have a screw in polarizer, however since its Tiffen, I feel id be mixing color casts..
Haida 77mm Slim PROII 75.00 10 stop circular or
Haida ND3.0 1000X Square Optical 95.00

Haida filter holder 78.00
Haida .9 graduated ND 98.00

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Apr 23, 2015 19:18 as a reply to  @ digitalduck's post |  #18

I'd stick to square filters if you're getting a filter holder anyways, at least for the nd and nd grads. Makes life a lot easier.

Nikon Z7 / D850 | Canon C200 / 1DXII | Fujifilm XT2

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Apr 23, 2015 19:19 as a reply to  @ post 17515433 |  #19

a 10 stop filter means you'll need a better tripod to minimize vibrations. use shorter exposure times if you decide to stick with your current tripod. learned this from my experience with a cheaper tripod and a lee big stopper. ended up selling and replacing the tripod with a sirui carbon fiber tripod.

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Apr 24, 2015 08:18 |  #20

idkdc wrote in post #17529965 (external link)
I'd stick to square filters if you're getting a filter holder anyways, at least for the nd and nd grads. Makes life a lot easier.

Thanks idkdc, I mentioned the filter holder as an option of something id have to buy if i went the square route. However, Im trying to find the best combination of 100mm and am wondering if I forgot something besides Haida? Would love some suggestions from anyone on a set of 10stop ND and one ND Grad to get me started..

Thank you!

IShootThings
I thought I was special.......
2,032 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 29, 2015 22:52 as a reply to  @ post 17515433 |  #21

You can use an ND and CPL but it gets pretty expensive. Personally, I don't usually use both together. It's a little bit pricey but if you want to "do it right" and not spend way too much money, this kit is great: http://www.2filter.com …ore/html/produc​t7733.html (external link)
It's only half of the ND filters, there is a hard edge and soft edge kit available. It's another $150 to get the other set that doesn't come with this mostly complete kit. I won't scare you off by giving you the link to the CPL for this kit.

As for the tripod, I solved the same problem by purchasing a new one. My Manfrotto doesn't have that problem. There may be another way to make your ball head more sturdy but sorry, I can't help you in that department. Good luck!

Canon 5D3, Canon XTI (IR converted), 24-70 f2.8L, 16-35 f4L, 50 1.4, 70-200 f2.8L, 100 2.8 macro, 430 ex & 580 exII speedlights.

IShootThings
I thought I was special.......
2,032 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 29, 2015 22:58 as a reply to  @ digitalduck's post |  #22

For filters, 2filter.com is a great site and has better prices than Amazon, BH or Adorama. The site is a little tough to navigate but it will save you some money. If I was you, I'd pick up a set like the Hitech one I posted and get more filters to fit it. I went with with 4x5 or 125mm filters.

Canon 5D3, Canon XTI (IR converted), 24-70 f2.8L, 16-35 f4L, 50 1.4, 70-200 f2.8L, 100 2.8 macro, 430 ex & 580 exII speedlights.

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Apr 30, 2015 09:45 as a reply to  @ IShootThings's post |  #23

IShoot, thanks for the info! The set doesn't include a ND which I would like first before anything.. I accidently looked at the sev7n set big stopper before reazlizing it was the wrong filter lol.. but yeah was about $3 cheaper then amazon.. On one hand id like the 100mm Haida ND but then need just one ND Grad plus the filter holder... looking at about a $200 budget so not sure which direction to go..

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Apr 30, 2015 15:12 |  #24

If your budget is $200, look for used Lee Filters or just get one filter from Lee new.

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Apr 30, 2015 15:30 |  #25

idkdc wrote in post #17538759 (external link)
If your budget is $200, look for used Lee Filters or just get one filter from Lee new.

Thanks jdkdc! I wonder, with so many people praising the Haida ND 10 stop, that if i was only going wiht one filter, if that wouldnt be the one to get. Seems to have less color cast etc.. granted its not as easy to switch and i would prefer the 100mm but then maybe i could get a basic Haida Grad ND... however, yes, the Lee BS is nice.

freestylee30
796 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 30, 2015 15:42 as a reply to  @ digitalduck's post |  #26

I still think at $200 budget the best bang for your buck are screw on filters. :)

Use and take good care of them while you save for LEE. If they are still in good shape you won't have a problem selling them here for a decent return.

Brandon | zenfolio (external link)| ♥ feedback ♥
Eternal Blue Forever Green
Image Editing OK

CANON 5DIV 50 f/1.8 85 f/1.8 135 f/2L 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
ROKINON 14 f/2.8 | TAMRON 15-30 f/2.8 VC 24-70 f/2.8 VC | SIGMA 35 f/1.4 Art |

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

May 02, 2015 21:03 as a reply to  @ freestylee30's post |  #27

Screw on B+W's not that much cheaper for 10 stops. Substantial amount of what the big stopper costs I should think.

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

May 04, 2015 13:36 as a reply to  @ idkdc's post |  #28

Hi guys,

So I am close to finalizing my purchases for my upcoming trip.. I am thinking

Haida 10 Stop

But for a polarizer I only have Tiffen CPL…

I don’t know how bad it will be to use the CPL first then the Haida on top… I know its not recommended, just don’t know how bad it will be.

If its going to be an issue I can get a Haida CPL..

Q: LIVE VIEW… what can’t I wrap my head around something… I get how it works ,but not complete.. am I still able to verify focus as well as composition or do I always have to remove the filter? Basically the image I see, will I still achieve the same focus if it appears correct?

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

May 04, 2015 16:09 as a reply to  @ digitalduck's post |  #29

If you have a 10 stop filter, you should remove it before composing and place it on after you're finished focusing and composing. I'd honestly skip the Tiffen filters, as much as other people (beginners) swear by them. I have a B+W XS Pro CPL, just save up for one of those or get the Hoya at the cost of coating that rubs off over time when cleaning. No sense in putting bad glass in front of your lens. Honestly though, if you shoot at sunrise or sunset, a CPL is not necessary at all. If you decide to shoot at noon, it helps to have one. If you shoot at noon, the 10 stop is better. If you shoot at twilight hour, six stop is better.

sponsored links

6,669 views & 3 likes for this thread
Trip to CA soon and want to be prepared, need advice
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.