Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Feb 2015 (Sunday) 18:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

G1X M2 or G7X

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 15, 2015 18:59 |  #1

Looking to buy a pocket camera since I have enough to lug around for my travels and something pocketable is what I want instead of my DSLR with lenses.

I know there are multiple discussions about these two on specs but which is is worth the money? Has any users picked up the G7X and went with the G1x2?

I was dead set on the G7x but from a lot of reviews, the G1x2 is sharper and better at low light due to the 1.5" sensor vs 1" on the G7X but the G1x is also $100 more. I was pretty set on the G7 because it's smaller but not by much since I was able to compare them a few weeks ago.

This is what I see where the G1x2 has an advantage. 1.5" Sensor, 120mm instead of 100mm, dual ring on the lens, and much better low light.

G7X has a smaller size from all that I see and cheaper but is it worth it to save the $100 and go with the G7 or the extra specs worth the $100.

MP has no deciding factor for me so that is why I did not mention it. But I know it's 20MP on G7x and 13MP on the G1xM2 but the extra .5" should make a bigger difference then MP and better low light.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

sponsored links
mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Post edited over 5 years ago by mpix345.

Feb 15, 2015 21:13 |  #2

Panasonic LX100 is probably the best camera out there in this class at the moment. Does have some trade offs in features though, so it is not right for everybody. No touch screen; no flip screen; shorter zoom (24-75). But if you like IQ...

Isn't it annoying when someone suggestions a different than the two you were asking about?

RHChan84
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 15, 2015 21:24 |  #3

mpix345 wrote in post #17433544 (external link)
Panasonic LX100 is probably the best camera out there in this class at the moment. Does have some trade offs in features though, so it is not right for everybody. No touch screen; no flip screen; shorter zoom (24-75). But if you like IQ...

Isn't it annoying when someone suggestions a different than the two you were asking about?

I looked at that too but only 75MM, which would be something I have to get used too if I got that route. The g1xm2 has 120mm which is a good amount more.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

jarski
94 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 22, 2015 04:19 |  #4

am curiously about the topic as well. had original G1X earlier but eventually let it go due to slow focusing and long shot-to-shot times. saw comment here that G7X actually focuses faster than more expensive G1X II. is it really so?

RHChan84
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 22, 2015 13:18 as a reply to  @ jarski's post |  #5

Yes the G7x does focus slightly faster but not by much. Played with it at the store and both focus pretty well. Its not DSLR but no point and shoot either. Its faster then any point and shoot I've used.

The G1x2 is more expensive but your paying for bigger sensor (1" on G7X and 1.5" on G1X2), longer zoom (105mm on G7 and 120MM on G1X2), dual rings, hotshoe and just a much better grip.

The only advantages the G7X is MP but for some reason, the G1X2 is sharper at 100% zoom. I guess not important unless you pixel peep.

Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

Frosticles
588 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 22, 2015 15:30 |  #6

Recently bought a G1X MKII to go alongside my 5D3. Very happy.

Kind regards, Kevin
My Fickr - http://www.flickr.com/​photos/28825728@N08/ (external link)

jarski
94 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 23, 2015 07:36 |  #7

thx for info. think am going with speed and price then. megapixel difference is quite irrelevant personally.

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 5 years ago by InfiniteDivide. (2 edits in all)

Apr 17, 2015 00:38 |  #8

Well OP? What was your decision and how do you like it?
I have been debating between a S120 and a G7X.
I find the G1X II and the Sony RX100 III too large for travel personally.
I want a lightweight travel camera to complement my 6D and primes.
Not a replacement.

I have read contradictory reviews:
One says the G7x is soft at every FL and another says the G7X is sharper than the G1x II,
Although none are as good in low light as they have more noise from their smaller sensors.

I am considering the S120, in spite of it's slow f5.6 at 100mm equ.
If I want a portrait with a thin DOF, I will use my 6D and primes.
But very high noise images are totally useless to me.

I don't want a low end camera that is a waste of time and money in IQ.
But I don't want to spend $500+ if the results are only marginally better than the S120's IQ

I have already viewed many real world photos from Flickr's S120 and G7X gallery pools.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

RHChan84
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 17, 2015 21:14 |  #9

InfiniteDivide wrote in post #17520732 (external link)
Well OP? What was your decision and how do you like it?
I have been debating between a S120 and a G7X.
I find the G1X II and the Sony RX100 III too large for travel personally.
I want a lightweight travel camera to complement my 6D and primes.
Not a replacement.

I have read contradictory reviews:
One says the G7x is soft at every FL and another says the G7X is sharper than the G1x II,
Although none are as good in low light as they have more noise from their smaller sensors.

I am considering the S120, in spite of it's slow f5.6 at 100mm equ.
If I want a portrait with a thin DOF, I will use my 6D and primes.
But very high noise images are totally useless to me.

I don't want a low end camera that is a waste of time and money in IQ.
But I don't want to spend $500+ if the results are only marginally better than the S120's IQ

I have already viewed many real world photos from Flickr's S120 and G7X gallery pools.

I picked up the G1xm2 after a small comparison. Both the G7x and G1xm2 were sharp and colors were nice. The g7x was slightly softer for those pixel peepers but again, this is only for those types of users. For daily use and printing, no big deal and both sharp.

That is not the reason I bought the g1xm2. I bought it for the bigger sensor and low light. I love it and its only slightly bigger then the g7x and fits in mg bag just fine. The dual ring, hotshoe, more zoom, and bigger sensor was the reasons I bought it. I love it so far and its been a good tool for the quick snaps. I find myself using it more then my 60D for quick snaps.

I will be doing some long exposures now that the weather is nicer to see how if performs.

Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 5 years ago by InfiniteDivide.

Apr 18, 2015 22:16 |  #10

Glad to hear it. In the past few days I think I have narrowed down my choices to the G7x or the Sony RX100 III

While the G1xII has superior points, the weight and size is just too much for me, I would just take my 6D.

I am loyal Canon, I like their menus and features, but I really like the option of the pop up viewfinder on the Sony.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

RHChan84
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 19, 2015 22:34 |  #11

InfiniteDivide wrote in post #17523115 (external link)
Glad to hear it. In the past few days I think I have narrowed down my choices to the G7x or the Sony RX100 III

While the G1xII has superior points, the weight and is just too much for me, I would just take my 6D.

I am loyal Canon, I like their menus and features, but I really like the option of the pop up viewfinder on the Sony.

I find myself using the screen more with a smaller camera. Just awkward to hold in your face but that's a personal opinion.

The G1xm2 is bigger then the g7x but when you go and look at both, not that much and still smaller then a DSLR. I have the room to throw it in my backpack and not worry about space.

Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 20, 2015 02:25 as a reply to  @ RHChan84's post |  #12

Yeah, I went to the store on Saturday. The G1x II is totally out. While it has a larger sensor,
it meets none of my need for a small lightweight travel camera.

I also tried the Sony and hated the menus, but quite enjoys the pop up viewfinder.
I'm sure it's just a matter of getting use to it if I bought one.
I like to shoot my primes wide open, and the Sony can't compete IQ wise so it may not get much use.

I am leaned toward the G7x, and now in just debating if a $500 is worth more than a $220 S120
IQ wise, the G7x beats it, but idk if it beats it buy almost 3x the time for my needs.
90% of the new camera will be daytime travel.
If I do with the intention of needed thin DOF or 'night vision' I will just take my DSLR and primes.

I appreciate your feedback, it's nice to hear from owners of my potential equipment purchases.

James Patrus

RHChan84
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 20, 2015 22:03 |  #13

InfiniteDivide wrote in post #17524601 (external link)
Yeah, I went to the store on Saturday. The G1x II is totally out. While it has a larger sensor,
it meets none of my need for a small lightweight travel camera.

I also tried the Sony and hated the menus, but quite enjoys the pop up viewfinder.
I'm sure it's just a matter of getting use to it if I bought one.
I like to shoot my primes wide open, and the Sony can't compete IQ wise so it may not get much use.

I am leaned toward the G7x, and now in just debating if a $500 is worth more than a $220 S120
IQ wise, the G7x beats it, but idk if it beats it buy almost 3x the time for my needs.
90% of the new camera will be daytime travel.
If I do with the intention of needed thin DOF or 'night vision' I will just take my DSLR and primes.

I appreciate your feedback, it's nice to hear from owners of my potential equipment purchases.

Everyone has different needs. If the G1xm2 is too big then its too big for your needs. But at least you got to check it out before deciding.

I think the G7x is still a great camera and should fit your travel needs. Just remember one thing when buying a camera, enjoy it and don't over analyze everything and just to go out abd learn it and enjoy it.

Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 5 years ago by InfiniteDivide. (5 edits in all)

Apr 24, 2015 00:57 |  #14

Well, in case anyone besides the two of us are following or reading through this thread I will provide a followup.
My goal is to have a good camera with me when I don't carry my 6D and primes (full gear bag)
After spending half an hour in a camera store shooting photos with the S120, the RX100 III, and the G7x.

I was sold on the G7x. I like the colors better and the menus were straightforward.
While the pop-up Sony viewfinder was a great addition it wasn't as enticing as I had expected.

While the sensor is not much larger, I think the S120's sensor will have too much noise above ISO-400
The S120 was practically at landscape aperture at anything above 50mm equivalent.
While it can shoot raw, I desire more subject separation even in my P&S
So it was also out of the running.

I have read mixed reviews about the lens on the Canon being superior to the Sony in low-light.
Longer length and more subject separation.

I will post again once I go out shooting with my G7x

James Patrus

David ­ Ransley
673 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008
Post edited over 5 years ago by David Ransley.

Apr 24, 2015 15:02 |  #15

I had a Canon S100 and now the G7X. From a size perspective, it is larger and heavier and therefore not a pocket camera. It however complements my 40D and from an ISO and sharpness perspective, the camera does the trick. The G7X is amazing and I can take it with on day trips. What I like most is the lens. This camera is something to experience and it does a great job on auto.

Slight downside = the RAW file size due to pixel count.

DRH

sponsored links

9,985 views & 0 likes for this thread
G1X M2 or G7X
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.