Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 23 Apr 2015 (Thursday) 10:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

need something new

67cudaking
112 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Apr 2015

Apr 23, 2015 10:06 |  #1

Hey guys. I've been using a 10 year old computer and canon dpp to do my raw conversions and editing and I can't take how slow it is anymore. I can't get through editing and converting 3 photos without it crashing. What should take me a few hours takes me a few days or a week of frustration to complete.

So I want to get a new desktop and monitor. The only thing I'm going to use it for is editing pics. So it would have to be able to run lightroom or photoshop. My question. Is what is the cheapest options out there for me?

olympus epl1, oly omd em10mk11, oly 14-42r x2, oly 40-150r, panasonic 25mm 1.7, gopro hero 3+ silver.

sponsored links
67cudaking
THREAD ­ STARTER
112 posts
Joined Apr 2015

Apr 23, 2015 17:05 |  #2

Does anyone have a recommendation?

olympus epl1, oly omd em10mk11, oly 14-42r x2, oly 40-150r, panasonic 25mm 1.7, gopro hero 3+ silver.

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 23, 2015 19:55 |  #3

Where are you in the world? What platform do you like, PC or Mac? Both are capable. What's your budget? Do you want to build your own, buy a standard build, or use a custom build company?

The easiest option is to buy Dell, HP, or Lenovo. Specs should be something like this:
- i5 or i7 processor, 3xxx or 4xxx series
- 8GB RAM min, 16GB better
- 120GB SSD (solid state disk) for OS and caches, with a larger disk for image storage
- Video card is largely irrelevant

Something like this Dell (external link), but you'd ideally want a bigger hard drive and an SSD (external link), which you can fit yourself, but moving the OS across may be a pain. Dell uses non-standard parts so they can be more difficult to upgrade.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

67cudaking
THREAD ­ STARTER
112 posts
Joined Apr 2015

Apr 23, 2015 21:11 |  #4

Thanks for the respone, I live in newyork. I'm more comfortabl with a pc but I'm not opposed to a mac. I'd like to buy a complete setup ready to run not build one.my budget will probably be around 500-600 just for the tower. And I will just use the monitor I have now until I can buy a better one. Any more advice is much appreciated.

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 23, 2015 21:31 |  #5

At that price point a prebuilt Dell/HP/Lenovo are probably your best bet. Building yourself from components might be cheaper, but a lot more hassle. Or direct from Dell (external link).

The problem I have with prebuilt computers is SSDs really make things faster, but they're difficult to get in prebuilt systems, and while adding one is easy getting your OS onto it is tricky for non-technical people.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,658 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Apr 23, 2015 21:57 |  #6

B&H has a full computer department and a few Dell and Lenovo systems in your price range with an i5-4660 Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD. That would make a nice starter system. Personally, I would buy the system and also get a 100GB or larger SDD and see if they will install it and transfer over the OS.

It's not too difficult IMHO to upgrade a tower to SSD yourself, particularly if it is brand new. The first step is to make sure you have a bootable Windows setup disk or USB stick. If the computer doesn't come with a DVD the computer usually gives you the option to create one when you setup. Just create the Windows setup DVD or USB stick, shutdown the computer, open it up and take out the HDD then put in the SSD and restart with the Windows setup disk mounted. Then follow the on-screen prompts to setup Windows. It's pretty rare these days that Windows setup won't find and automatically install all your drivers. And the end result is you'll have a computer that's free of all the bloatware that usually comes from the factory, so it will run faster and more reliably.

Once you get Windows running on the SSD put the HDD back in as a second drive. You might need a SATA-3 cable to do this. Restart and make sure your SSD is still the boot/C: drive then reformat the HDD as one large partition for data.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,393 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 24, 2015 01:19 |  #7

Not to bash Macs, but from the information you provided, stay with a PC. Stay away from HP. RAM is your friend.

67cudaking
THREAD ­ STARTER
112 posts
Joined Apr 2015

Apr 24, 2015 06:51 |  #8

Thank you all for your advice. I was looking on bandh and they do have some dell computers with the specs you guys are suggesting. I found one Dell i5 core with 16g ram and 1tb hard drive for 550 dollars. Is the ssd extremely important to get right away or is that something I could upgrade to later. Also what editing program and raw converter do you guys Like best?

67cudaking
THREAD ­ STARTER
112 posts
Joined Apr 2015

Apr 24, 2015 06:55 |  #9

Keep in mind the I'm pretty much in the stone age right now using a Dell dimension 3000 running windows xp and canon DPP. So anything brand new is going to be a massive improvement

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by Bleufire. (2 edits in all)

Apr 24, 2015 12:03 as a reply to  @ 67cudaking's post |  #10

I agree with Tim. You can also sit on this page and check out the "Desktops" tab for good deals:
http://www.techbargain​s.com/ (external link)

You can see some of the i7 PCs are ~600+ w/ 8GB ram and 1TB hd.

I have helped people with choosing PCs and the one thing I have noticed is when places like dell/HP/Lenovo/Etc have the option to add in a SSD the price usually skyrockets. Even the ones that have a SSD included have a higher than normal pricing and usually the SSD is a 120/128 GB which is tight if you don't know how to manage your space. It really doesn't matter if you do it now or later, it will make a difference for sure but it isn't going to not work if you don't have an SSD.

You can usually get a SSD $~.35/Gig depending on what deal is out there. There are a lot of SSD deals out there all the time. Just pick one of those up and throw it in yourself and you can save money doing it on your own that way.

Is the ssd extremely important to get right away or is that something I could upgrade to later.

Just out of curiosity, and I don't mean it in a rude way at all, do you know what an SSD brings to the table vs a HDD?

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

Bearmann
Goldmember
1,226 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Location: I live behind Graceland in a tool shed. I often meet the man early in the morning at Krispy Kreme.
Post edited over 4 years ago by Bearmann.

Apr 24, 2015 15:14 |  #11

You can save some money by going through the Dell Outlet. Sign up for Dell's Outlet email coupons. Keep an eye on Techbargains and Slickdeals.

Barry

http://b-r-s-photo.zenfolio.com (external link) (remove the dashes)

67cudaking
THREAD ­ STARTER
112 posts
Joined Apr 2015

Apr 24, 2015 16:48 |  #12

I do not know what the ssd brings to the table when replacing the hdd. I'm not very knowledgeable in the components of a computer.

bikfoto
Alexander the Wannabe
422 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 24, 2015 17:16 |  #13

tim wrote in post #17530002 (external link)
Where are you in the world? What platform do you like, PC or Mac? Both are capable. What's your budget? Do you want to build your own, buy a standard build, or use a custom build company?

The easiest option is to buy Dell, HP, or Lenovo. Specs should be something like this:
- i5 or i7 processor, 3xxx or 4xxx series
- 8GB RAM min, 16GB better
- 120GB SSD (solid state disk) for OS and caches, with a larger disk for image storage
- Video card is largely irrelevant

Something like this Dell (external link), but you'd ideally want a bigger hard drive and an SSD (external link), which you can fit yourself, but moving the OS across may be a pain. Dell uses non-standard parts so they can be more difficult to upgrade.

Second that. Your best budget option would be to check out the frys.com weekly specials. I saw an i5 4xxx for $449 recently.

bikfoto (external link)
Need a WEBSITE? (external link)
Gear & Feedback
flickr (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 24, 2015 18:31 |  #14

67cudaking wrote in post #17530520 (external link)
Thank you all for your advice. I was looking on bandh and they do have some dell computers with the specs you guys are suggesting. I found one Dell i5 core with 16g ram and 1tb hard drive for 550 dollars. Is the ssd extremely important to get right away or is that something I could upgrade to later. Also what editing program and raw converter do you guys Like best?

It'll be fine. SSD makes things faster but you'll manage without. Yes you can upgrade later, easiest if you get the windows DVD but can be done other ways.

I use Adobe CS6 Bridge. Others use Lightroom, which I don't like. DPP is free.

Bearmann
Goldmember
1,226 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Location: I live behind Graceland in a tool shed. I often meet the man early in the morning at Krispy Kreme.
Post edited over 4 years ago by Bearmann.

Apr 25, 2015 11:44 |  #15

Look at this:

http://slickdeals.net …-475-ar-free-shipping?v=1 (external link)

or

http://slickdeals.net …-rebate-free-shipping?v=1 (external link)

Looks like a fantastic deal. You can add a SSD later if you want.

Barry

http://b-r-s-photo.zenfolio.com (external link) (remove the dashes)

sponsored links

3,146 views & 9 likes for this thread
need something new
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.