Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 25 Apr 2015 (Saturday) 22:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My very first wedding, need some advice

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
8,437 posts
Gallery: 705 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2015

Apr 25, 2015 22:21 |  #1

I have shot 2 weddings as a second shooter and the main photog was quite happy with my work. I know the trade relatively well bu still feeling nervous. Who wouldn't? But we all have to start somewhere. I have been researching the subject in depth for a long time. I believe that I have an eye for the right shots (composition, DOF, lighting etc), have the right gear and am in the process of getting a 24-70 f2.8 to complete my gear. The wedding is in July. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
500px (external link)
Etsy Store (external link)

sponsored links
EnglishBob
555 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2004

Apr 25, 2015 23:00 |  #2

Once you get the 24-70 2.8, use it a lot between then and July. Can you get access to the venue before hand, if so, got and scout it out. Have fun.... I was terrified my first few LOL.

Gallery (external link) MyGear (external link) About Me (external link)

itsallart
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,437 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Apr 25, 2015 23:06 |  #3

EnglishBob wrote in post #17532678 (external link)
Once you get the 24-70 2.8, use it a lot between then and July. Can you get access to the venue before hand, if so, got and scout it out. Have fun.... I was terrified my first few LOL.

Thank you, Bob. Yes I will shoot a lot with that lens. The venue is lovely and well lit but I will definitely scout it out. This is the place http://mckinneyflourmi​ll.com/ (external link)
Thanks again for the encouragement :)

Renata
500px (external link)

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 25, 2015 23:27 |  #4

get well acquainted with gear because on the fly changes will be required, as I'm sure you know from second shooting, but you're the primary now. It's up to you to get the shot. I think visiting the venue, if possible, or at least getting to know the layout through photos is a great idea. I like to have a running list of shots in my head that I want to get, based on just the venue itself, if it lends itself to unique shots. Have plenty of backups; batteries, memory cards, at least two bodies. Take a deep breath.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,629 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 25, 2015 23:33 |  #5

Biggest thing I can say is don't look at the screen. It's easy to delete photos from your card but you cannot recreate moments you missed if you've had your head down checking out your screen. Also, just have fun. Yes, its hectic and busy but that doesn't mean it can't be fun.

itsallart
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,437 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Apr 25, 2015 23:51 as a reply to  @ elrey2375's post |  #6

I am very familiar with my gear and normally shoot manually but I think I will switch to AV for quick shots and for for posed will go back to M. I will have 2 bodies and a second shooter with 2. I have plenty of memory cards and batteries. And yes, I will definitely take a deep breath :)Thank you for your words.

Renata
500px (external link)

itsallart
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,437 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Apr 25, 2015 23:51 as a reply to  @ the flying moose's post |  #7

Will do! Thank you so much.

Renata
500px (external link)

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,650 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Apr 26, 2015 01:43 |  #8

When I worked for a studio the owner and I had a routine we'd go through before, during and after the wedding. I could describe our routine but it isn't important, and probably isn't even applicable today (different era, different media, different challenges). But my favorite part was the 8AM meet-up for breakfast, a haircut and shoeshine the morning of the event. Yes, it was a long time ago.

The important part is that you have a routine planned-out in advance. It might change as soon as you show up at the bride's house for her dressing shots, or you might stay true to plan right up to the last dance. Over time you will refine your routine and grow comfortable with it, and also comfortable when you have to deviate. Of course a part of that will be testing, cleaning and organizing all your gear and supplies the night before, making sure you have adequate spares for critical equipment and accessories, and double-checking that you have everything when you load up your car.

Besides photo gear bring a comb, hairbrush, small can of hairspray, shine control powder and make-up brush, a hand mirror, moist wipes, tissues, lots of bobby pins, small sewing kit with some buttons and several different size safety pins, peal-and-stick hemming tape and a lint roller, and keep several large umbrellas and some cleaning rags or paper towels in the car.

I am a very big proponent of visiting the church and reception venue in advance if you haven't been there before. Also, if you've agreed to shoot the formals and groups at a third location, scout that out as early as possible because often you will need a permit or reservation to shoot at parks, public gardens and the like.

Be sure to introduce yourself to the band leader, DJ, MC, Maitre D', or whomever is running the reception as soon as you arrive at the venue, so you can get on the same page for sequence and timing of the key activities and cues for each other to signal when to get ready and when you are done taking your shots.

Finally, being a good photographer and having the right gear is only part of the skills needed to successfully shoot weddings. You need to be well organized, work efficiently and stay in control of the environment while also being diplomatic with the couple, their family and their guests.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,340 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 26, 2015 06:11 |  #9

^ great post!!!

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 26, 2015 22:26 as a reply to  @ the flying moose's post |  #10

This is good advice. Chimp to get settings, etc., but keeping your head on a swivel will allow you to capture moments you might otherwise miss.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

sponsored links

1,802 views & 3 likes for this thread
My very first wedding, need some advice
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.