Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 16 Apr 2015 (Thursday) 14:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How Photographers Make Their Selfies...

mathogre
Goldmember
3,750 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 25, 2015 13:35 |  #16

MattPharmD wrote in post #17532152 (external link)
Any thoughts on the difference in a selfie and a self-portrait?

Lots of things I see here I would have called self-portraits. Maybe mathogre's post is a selfie since it is taken while self holding the camera...

I really don't like equating selfie with self-portrait... maybe one is a style of the other?

I'm kinda with you on this. I've done self-portraits with light setups, timers, remote shutter releases, et al. I consider a selfie to be a very informal, impromptu snapshot done hand-holding the camera.

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Photo Collection (external link)

sponsored links
PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
2,470 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 25, 2015 14:19 as a reply to  @ mathogre's post |  #17

Interesting. From my point of view, I think the practical distinctions between the selfie and the self portrait are overlapping, debatable, and ultimately irrelevant.

The term "selfie" itself seems to have arisen from the first generation that cannot conceive of an era pre-dating the mobile phone. That is the most pertinent distinction to me.

I've never thought about it before, so I'm just fleshing it out now.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

Nathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Can you repeat the question, please?
7,889 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 25, 2015 21:53 |  #18

I guess I equated the two. Selfie is your picture taken by you (that is, it's just short for self-portrait)

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 50L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 580 EX II x2

ThreeHounds
Goldmember
1,005 posts
Gallery: 90 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 26, 2015 07:18 |  #19

Nathan wrote in post #17532629 (external link)
I guess I equated the two. Selfie is your picture taken by you (that is, it's just short for self-portrait)

We have a winner!

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-300 f/4 L | Sigma 35 f/1.4 Art | Zenzanon 105 f/3.5 | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 26, 2015 09:24 |  #20

I'm not sure that equating them is really a good practice, and certainly hasn't been true for the general (non-photographer) public.

Merriam-Webster specifies that it is taken with a digital camera... thus excluding any film self-portraits.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary​/selfie (external link)
I'm really not sure that one makes much sense though...

The Oxford Online US English dictionary generalizes it to those taken with a cell phone or webcam.
http://www.oxforddicti​onaries.com …can_english/sel​f-portrait (external link)

Neither list self-portrait as a synonym. I think that most would identify a selfie as a style of self-portrait, or as such an informal style that it isn't really a portrait at all.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
20,826 posts
Gallery: 77 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 26, 2015 10:19 |  #21

MattPharmD wrote in post #17533040 (external link)
I think that most would identify a selfie as a style of self-portrait, or as such an informal style that it isn't really a portrait at all.

Uh-oh. Now we need to agree on a definition of "portrait," too.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

mathogre
Goldmember
3,750 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 26, 2015 11:30 |  #22

OhLook wrote in post #17533099 (external link)
Uh-oh. Now we need to agree on a definition of "portrait," too.

Lol!

The word "set" in the Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd Ed., covers 25 pages. Having single definitions for "selfie" and "portrait" would be impossible. There will always be someone with a new interpretation.

Oh, and the first space selfie happened back in 1966. Is it a portrait or a selfie? Yes. ;)

http://www.businessins​ider.com …fie-by-buzz-aldrin-2015-3 (external link)

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Photo Collection (external link)

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 26, 2015 12:10 as a reply to  @ mathogre's post |  #23

I don't agree with the premise that because the word "set" has a variety of uses, then so must other words.

I don't think that we necessarily have to agree what the word selfie or the word portrait means, but it is worth discussing given that I think that if you posted a "post your selfies" in a non-photographer forum, no one would think of a photo taken by a timer on a tripod.

I would say that a selfie is a self-portrait that looks like it was taken by the photographer. This is how most people seem to use the word.

Most of the posted pictures do not look they were taken by anyone in the photo.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,917 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 5 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Apr 26, 2015 12:25 |  #24

is the word "pic" a synonym to photograph?

or is there some difference there?

maybe pic is an informal photograph, or maybe it suggests that the photographer is using a point and shoot or DSLR on full auto.

or maybe like so many other words it changes meaning depending on the context?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
20,826 posts
Gallery: 77 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 26, 2015 13:58 |  #25

MattPharmD wrote in post #17533208 (external link)
I don't agree with the premise that because the word "set" has a variety of uses, then so must other words.

"Set" is notorious for having many uses. "Selfie" has only one use, so far. What's in question isn't the number of its meanings, it's how to draw a line, if any, between selfies and photographic self-portraits, or how to draw a circle around selfies within the category of photographic self-portraits.

I don't think that we necessarily have to agree what the word selfie or the word portrait means, but it is worth discussing given that I think that if you posted a "post your selfies" in a non-photographer forum, no one would think of a photo taken by a timer on a tripod.

Oh, if the thread went on long enough, I bet someone would think of it and do it.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,871 posts
Gallery: 2028 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 27, 2015 06:50 |  #26

Heya,

I do selfies of my wee little family often. I just take whatever lenses I'm feeling at the moment for the location, and I take my flash & 24x24" softbox so I can have the option to fill soft light even on a sunny day to prevent over-exposure of the sky and mix ambient & flash, even when shooting at F2. I just combine ND filters when needed to bring down ambient exposure and fill with flash.

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3933/15475305689_a6d382e17f_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/pzuZ​ek  (external link) IMG_0982 (external link) by Mwise1023 (external link), on Flickr

This was 35mm @ F2, with ND filters stacked on to bring exposure down and filled with flash since it was back-lit on a sunny Florida afternoon at the Gulf coast.

I just set a timer for 10 seconds, since it was only a few feet away.

I just pre-focus at the closest subject (baby here) and let depth of field do the rest, on a wide angle like 35mm, that captures everything in full body context, and still gives a pleasant blur on the rest that is far away, I just try to choose areas with distant backgrounds.

Otherwise, I stop down to ensure I get everyone in focus. It's too easy to have too shallow DOF on some lenses when doing selfies and struggle to get what you want. So I work with wider angle on selfies as it's a lot easier to get more depth of field, without stopping down at closer ranges to avoid running.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

msowsun
"approx 8mm"
9,288 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Post edited over 5 years ago by msowsun.

Apr 27, 2015 18:28 |  #27

"Selfie" 5D3 Samyang 14mm

IMAGE: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/msowsun/photo%20stuff/Photo13/5D3_0510_zps53a9b9e3.jpg

Mike Sowsun / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 100-400 II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 5 years ago by kfreels. (2 edits in all)

Apr 27, 2015 23:45 |  #28

Well, let's see. I have this one.....

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

I don't get this. When I view the preview, all looks fine. But I have this error "Image is a redirect or missing!" error and the MIME has been changed for some reason. This is a direct facebook link and it works just fine anywhere else including the darned preview. Here's the URL. If you click it you can see the pic.

https://scontent-lga.xx.fbcdn.net …ce5a857d9de07&o​e=55E1E19C (external link)

This is just one more example of a rant I'm writing about backwards technology. Tech is supposed to make things easier and help us accomplish things that we couldn't before. Anymore though as we've hit close to maximum efficiency, there's still a drive to change things just for the sake of change and to extract ever more profit from every possible piece of internet material. So you get more complex methods of doing everything. A simple list of "10 really cool photos" is no longer a list of 10 photos, but 14 different pages loaded with ads, some that popup just by moving your mouse the wrong way because you have to go to a new page to see each image and 4 of those pages are nothing BUT an ad. Meanwhile, every freaking website seems to be going to grey on grey with very little color of contrast. Buttons have been replaced with hidden menus, and pretty graphics to make sites "unique" leave us all hunting for features in different places because standardization has gone out the window. Heck, Outlook 365 doesn't even have a delete button. You have to right click to get it. And My Nexus 7 tablet on the most recent update switched my action buttons at the bottom from a menu, home, and back button to a triangle, circle, and square which to me means play, record, and stop. Still can't quite get a grasp on how they function but one thing I know is that most things that were 1 tap away are now 2-3 taps away.
Anyways, end of rant. Blood pressure is going up. I'm just sick of re-learning my phone, computer, apps, forums, constantly. I'm waiting for the day I go to my car and find that the manufacture decided to change the color, wheels, and moved my dash gauges around while I slept and my spedometer is now in the glovebox.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 28, 2015 00:09 |  #29

Oh. But then there are these.....
We go to this place and take a new selfie every year.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

And then this silliness....

IMAGE NOT FOUND

And a couple of my favorites highlighting the benefits of telecommuting....

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Wow. I never realized how many selfies I had!

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

msowsun
"approx 8mm"
9,288 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Post edited over 5 years ago by msowsun. (2 edits in all)

Apr 28, 2015 06:46 |  #30

kfreels wrote in post #17535293 (external link)
Well, let's see. I have this one.....

QUOTED IMAGE

Can't see the photos......It says: "IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!"

Mike Sowsun / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 100-400 II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

sponsored links

6,814 views & 10 likes for this thread
How Photographers Make Their Selfies...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.