Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 25 Apr 2015 (Saturday) 19:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

When is it ok to

werds
"Yes, Sire. You'll shut your trap!"
613 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 26, 2015 19:19 |  #16

JM45ACP wrote in post #17533566 (external link)
Its not even like I go to every event I would just like to get a few good shots of my daughter participating in her events without interfering. My wife was just saying she thinks there may be some sort of pass I can get so I'm going to look into it a bit more if not then ill just shoot from the sidelines I don't want to make a big deal out of it. I highly doubt anyone would have an issue with me taking pictures there are a lot of parents doing this.
Thanks
John

Although talking to the coach may or may not be helpful the people you want to speak with are the Athletic Director for your school, the Principal, or someone at the Board of Education in charge of editorial and photographical releases. The principal should be able to direct you to the correct person same as the athletic director. This is specific to your desire to be on the sidelines/in the field event areas. Without prior permission to shoot as part of the yearbook staff or some prior understanding and possibly filing and signing of certain forms each school/district has it's own set of legal issues that they usually want taken care of.

Now if you are in the stands or in an area that any other spectating parent is normal not warded off from and taking pictures and you are only shooting YOUR specific child you are ok (unless other people are identifiable and then you come into a different set of issues). I know in our district students and athletes get forms allowing video and photographic releases that must be signed by parents and sometimes you have them say they do not allow such. There is an ever shifting line on how many people view this and where you can stand legally it seems.

None of this advice even covers the issue of selling prints... that might come into other problems as sometimes schools and districts have exclusive contracts with certain people or companies for specific niches in terms of photography for their schools and districts (and that is also a different argumentative ball of wax!)

Gear: Nikon D750, Nikon D7200, Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS HSM EX , Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Tamron 28-300mm Di VC PZD, Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD, Tamron 150-600 VC, Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8, Nikon SB-900
POTN Seller Feedback (and other)

werds
"Yes, Sire. You'll shut your trap!"
613 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 26, 2015 19:21 |  #17

bpalermini wrote in post #17533588 (external link)
Even those of us who are out there often forget the danger zones, to check before crossing the track, etc.

Yea, track meets can be especially dangerous as they tend to have multiple events occurring at one time where it is easy to get tangled up with an athlete and cause them or yourself some injury! (Spoken as a former track athlete, current parent, and teacher)

Gear: Nikon D750, Nikon D7200, Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS HSM EX , Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Tamron 28-300mm Di VC PZD, Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD, Tamron 150-600 VC, Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8, Nikon SB-900
POTN Seller Feedback (and other)

blksporty
227 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 28, 2015 14:53 |  #18

I shoot high school track all the time. I have never been hassled by coaches or parents. If you arrive early and speak to folks (coaches and or parents) and hand out some business cards it may help. Also if you have some kind of credential even one of your own cards in a holder hung around your neck, it gives people the indication that you are supposed to be there. If you do this repeatedly for several weeks folks get used to the fact that you are just doing your job and they will leave you alone. Always be aware of your surroundings when shooting, at a track meet there are usually several things going on at the same time.

Gear:
1D mkIV x 2, 24-70LII, 70-200 2.8 non IS, 100-400, 50D, Flash's and other stuff

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 10, 2015 20:56 |  #19

blksporty wrote in post #17536136 (external link)
I shoot high school track all the time. I have never been hassled by coaches or parents. If you arrive early and speak to folks (coaches and or parents) and hand out some business cards it may help. Also if you have some kind of credential even one of your own cards in a holder hung around your neck, it gives people the indication that you are supposed to be there. If you do this repeatedly for several weeks folks get used to the fact that you are just doing your job and they will leave you alone. Always be aware of your surroundings when shooting, at a track meet there are usually several things going on at the same time.

Please clarify:

Did you go inside the "field" to shoot or were you close to the sidelines but not inside of them? This seems to be an important issue here and there seems to be general agreement that going inside the "field of action" would in general not be allowed...

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,522 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

May 10, 2015 23:51 |  #20

Jon wrote in post #17532541 (external link)
Ask your offspring's coach.

As a gymnastics coach... this.

I'm sure it's a bit different for field sports, but if/when a parent asks if they can take some pictures of their kids I'm usually OK with it as long as they know to keep the flash off and not get in my (or their child's) way.

For a game I'm sure it'd be equally important to make sure you're not obstructing the view of any other parents.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,730 views & 2 likes for this thread
When is it ok to
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.