Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Jul 2013 (Friday) 11:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D dead..

davidmtml
THREAD ­ STARTER
848 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 28, 2013 12:23 |  #16

maverick75 wrote in post #16160699 (external link)
I would take it up with vivitar or the amazon seller and make them pay for it,
happened to me on when I bought a hard drive power source.

First thing it did was fry my hard drive! Made them pay for a brand new one.

Such a shame that today's vivitar is not the good old vivitar from back in the day.

I bought them used from a seller off Amazon, so I doubt Vivitar would be willing to pay since it didn't come directly from them...I also think I would have a real hard time getting the seller to pay for something like this. But regardless, I will get it fixed.

As I said, I have never sent anything in to Canon before, but it sounds like they do cleanings and stuff as well when you send it in...is this true? I know my viewfinder could use a good cleaning.

sponsored links
maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,700 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Jul 28, 2013 12:29 |  #17

They do, you can have your sensor cleaned as well.

If it was used I'd still send a message to the seller, that's all it took for me. One message to explain what happened.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

Tommy1957
Goldmember
1,288 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jul 28, 2013 12:29 |  #18

maverick75 wrote in post #16160699 (external link)
I would take it up with vivitar or the amazon seller and make them pay for it,
happened to me on when I bought a hard drive power source.

First thing it did was fry my hard drive! Made them pay for a brand new one.

Such a shame that today's vivitar is not the good old vivitar from back in the day.

Quoted emphasis mine.

You can say that again. I have a Vivitar (mfr.: Tokina) 70-210 f/3.5 in C/Y mount that I would put up against a Canon EF 70-200 f/4 any day. Very nice lens. I am just getting too lazy for manual focus.

grrStevo
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 28, 2013 13:07 |  #19

have read about a few 5Ds having this problem with tubes on the net before - I have similar Jessops branded ones and have used them fine on other cameras but haven't risked them on my 5Dc yet.

as someone stated above, its probably blown a fuse if you're feeling brave a DIY repair seems possible http://www.talkphotogr​aphy.co.uk …/showthread.php​?p=4286263 (external link) (had this link bookmarked in case it ever happened to mine!)

6D 5D 400D
28 1.8, 40 2.8, 50 1.8, 85 1.8, 135L
24-105, 17-55, Sigma 10-20

misty66
Goldmember
3,862 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 29, 2013 09:50 |  #20

I just stumbled upon this thread and I think this happened to my 5D last year. I had it fixed but It never occurred to me the rings could be the problem ( I was shooting with them when it happened) and I have used them again without a problem. But now I'm afraid to use them again. Thanks for the info.

Please call me Sandra
flickr (external link)
My girls (external link)

MidnightUK
152 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 29, 2013 09:59 |  #21

I seem to remember seeing someplace that the 5D really does have a fuse somewhere inside. You may want to research this to see if its correct, as maybe the camera repair people would only need to swop that out, which would be fairly cheap.

Just did a quick hunt and maybe info here will help
http://www.dpreview.co​m …age=2#forum-post-31190468 (external link)

davidmtml
THREAD ­ STARTER
848 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 12, 2013 11:50 |  #22

Just and update..

I ended up sending it to Canon. I talked to my local shop about them doing a fix, and they said in this case they would most likely just send it in to Canon anyway.

$238 later, I got the camera back and everything is working great! The only thing I'm disappointed in is the cleaning. It says right on my invoice that they cleaned the sensor and viewfinder, but there is still lots of junk on my viewfinder...oh well! At least I have my camera back!

misty66
Goldmember
3,862 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 12, 2013 11:51 |  #23

I'm glad you have your camera back. Because it is a great camera (even though I got the mark III) this camera will nog leave my bag.

Please call me Sandra
flickr (external link)
My girls (external link)

Pete ­ UK
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Apr 2015

Apr 29, 2015 04:05 as a reply to  @ davidmtml's post |  #24

Hi, hope your 5D still working ok, just took mine in for the same reason, I was using 3rd party extension tubes as well, I suspected the tubes could have caused the problem, they are very similar to yours with the metal contact pins running through, so I decided to strip them down and convert them to manual by stripping out the pins, during this process I noticed that one of the tubes had a spring loose on one of the pins and was touching The next pin thus creating a short. Funny thing I had used them previously on my 7D without a problem.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,820 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 29, 2015 04:11 |  #25

I've heard about someone's girlfriend, who fried the same 5D twice. Some lens used on the camera didn't have the proper stop to prevent it from overturning when mounting it. Since the girlfriend came from the dark side, and everything on a Nikon camera runs backwards, she turned the lens in the wrong direction to attempt to remove it from the camera. This shorted the power supply from the camera to the lens and blew the fuse.
Canon's lenses have a dog which prevents them from turning any further.

Anders

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,642 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 29, 2015 05:27 as a reply to  @ Pete UK's post |  #26

The dead Canon EOS 5D can be DIY repaired by tinkerers (external link)- at least when it is the common fuse problem after bad lens or extension tube.

It seems the EOS 5D has the most sensitive fuse there, other Canon DSLR have this problem not, or less often.
But the 5D still is a great camera!

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

davidmtml
THREAD ­ STARTER
848 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Apr 29, 2015 09:16 |  #27

Pete UK wrote in post #17536847 (external link)
Hi, hope your 5D still working ok, just took mine in for the same reason, I was using 3rd party extension tubes as well, I suspected the tubes could have caused the problem, they are very similar to yours with the metal contact pins running through, so I decided to strip them down and convert them to manual by stripping out the pins, during this process I noticed that one of the tubes had a spring loose on one of the pins and was touching The next pin thus creating a short. Funny thing I had used them previously on my 7D without a problem.

Yep, it's still working great! I will have to take a look and see if there is anything loose in there, although I probably still won't chance it by putting it on the 5D again!

2ndviolinman
344 posts
Joined May 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by 2ndviolinman. (2 edits in all)

Apr 29, 2015 14:06 |  #28

My original 5D went to Canon three times for blown electronics immediately following lens changes. The first time was a chipped adapter, and I paid for the repair. The second time, 6 months later, it was a Canon lens in sub 0 deg. F temps and I paid for that too.

The, JUST out of the repair warranty period it died again, this time in a dealer showroom trying out a brand new Canon lens. Canon stopped just short of accusing me of abusing the camera, but I had their dealer to back me up regarding the circumstances. They said they would examine it with a fine toothed comb, but did fix it at no cost to me, but not under the repair warranty. They said they did it as a courtesy, as the problem was not related to the recent repair.

I used the camera for years trouble free after that, and still have it. I would not be too quick to attribute the malfunction to the extension tubes.

David
5Dc, 5Dii, Canon 16-35 f/4L IS, 40/2.8 Pancake, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 Macro, 135/2.0L, 200/2.8L, converted 35mm TS, Sigma 50/2.8 Macro, 70/2.8 Macro, Zeiss ZE 21/2.8, Zeiss Contax 28/2.8, 50/1.7 & 85/2.8, Jena 135/3.5, Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 APO, Canon 28-135.

sponsored links

5,676 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D dead..
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.