Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Nov 2014 (Saturday) 12:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D Mark II Exposure Level Indicator

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 17, 2014 10:11 |  #46

Ray.Petri wrote in post #17276615 (external link)
I agree with you - Bianchi.
You have high-lighted my main gripe. Apart from the dimness and semi-obscurity of the exposure scale I have to roll my eye off of the subject to make adjustments.
I am not a software engineer but surely a firmware upgrade could restore the exposure meter scale to the gap at the bottom of the VF in Manual mode.
It seems a good camera has a design problem for manual users.

It's not a gap if you are using Auto ISO. If you have Auto ISO enabled that scale shows your configured Exposure Compensation, as it does in every other mode on the camera. That part of the display is actually your set exposure compensation, not your current exposure. Since the 7D2 can do exposure compensation with Auto ISO in manual mode Canon has made that lower scale represent your configured Auto ISO EC, and thus unified its purpose across all modes of the camera, while the side scale shows the actual meter. I appreciate your point though and maybe Canon can make a custom function to let it be configurable.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

sponsored links
Ray.Petri
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,841 posts
Gallery: 283 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 17, 2014 13:05 |  #47

Keyan wrote in post #17277122 (external link)
It's not a gap if you are using Auto ISO. If you have Auto ISO enabled that scale shows your configured Exposure Compensation, as it does in every other mode on the camera. That part of the display is actually your set exposure compensation, not your current exposure. Since the 7D2 can do exposure compensation with Auto ISO in manual mode Canon has made that lower scale represent your configured Auto ISO EC, and thus unified its purpose across all modes of the camera, while the side scale shows the actual meter. I appreciate your point though and maybe Canon can make a custom function to let it be configurable.

OK Keyan - Thanks. I will give some consideration to your comments when I get time to get my head around it. But I would still rather see the exposure meter at the bottom of the VF rather than info that I do not need.
I registered a complaint with Canon today and they said they will contact me to let me know if the problem can be resolved in a firmware upgrade or not. I hope it can. I won't risk holding my breath, though.
I suggest to anyone who finds this an issue to make Canon aware of it.

Ray-P

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 17, 2014 13:11 |  #48

How did you go about doing that? I would like to see an option to make the top LCD scale show the exposure for sure, especially considering their own manual suggests putting on the viewfinder blocker doodad when using the camera during long exposures - good luck seeing the scale then! I guess you can use the rear LCD, but since it is fixed position that can be awkward too.

Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM

Ray.Petri
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,841 posts
Gallery: 283 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 17, 2014 15:19 as a reply to  @ Keyan's post |  #49

Keyan asks how did I register complaint with Canon. I rang the Canon UK help line discussed the problem with the help desk person. He seemed to understand the problem and gave me a reference number for our discussion. I do hope it's possible. He did say he would keep me posted.

Ray-P

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 17, 2014 16:08 |  #50

I shoot with my left eye and have no problem seeing the meter on the right-hand side. I also just placed my 7D Mark II up to my right eye and did not have problem there either.

What I did notice though is that the side meter only disappears when you adjust your eye positioning to the point that part of the image frame is no longer visible when looking through the eye-piece. In other words, if you've lost the ability to see the meter on the side, then you've also lost the ability to see the entire image frame...so I'm having a hard time understanding how people are having a problem with the side meter unless they are not looking through the viewfinder properly.

Bryan

My Gear List

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,955 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 17, 2014 17:26 as a reply to  @ bps's post |  #51

I think it's a "getting used to it" thing. I had no problem whatsoever getting used to having it where it is on the 1DX, but as I stated before, it has been there on every high-level Canon camera I've had before. Just not on cameras like the EOS 30 or 40D or similar.

Anders

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 17, 2014 17:32 |  #52

bps wrote in post #17277869 (external link)
I shoot with my left eye and have no problem seeing the meter on the right-hand side. I also just placed my 7D Mark II up to my right eye and did not have problem there either.

What I did notice though is that the side meter only disappears when you adjust your eye positioning to the point that part of the image frame is no longer visible when looking through the eye-piece. In other words, if you've lost the ability to see the meter on the side, then you've also lost the ability to see the entire image frame...so I'm having a hard time understanding how people are having a problem with the side meter unless they are not looking through the viewfinder properly.

Bryan

Maybe just my huge nose ;-)a

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 17, 2014 18:03 |  #53

bps wrote in post #17277869 (external link)

Bryan

Or wear glasses while shooting (like me); I just adjust my eye position as needed to see the meter even though my glasses keep me from being able to see the whole viewfinder display at one time.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 17, 2014 18:44 |  #54

Keyan wrote in post #17278021 (external link)
Maybe just my huge nose ;-)a

LOL! :lol: Thanks for making me smile.

stsva wrote in post #17278094 (external link)
Or wear glasses while shooting (like me); I just adjust my eye position as needed to see the meter even though my glasses keep me from being able to see the whole viewfinder display at one time.

I see, that makes sense. Thanks for explaining.

Bryan

My Gear List

Don1
Cream of the Crop
6,410 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

May 02, 2015 15:16 |  #55

Has there been an update to this issue? I just picked up a 7D Mark II and found that I could barely see the meter at the right of the VF when shooting indoors. But when outdoors I could see nothing there and most of my shooting is outdoors. I'm shooting manual but if I switch to auto ISO, as others have indicated, then I can easily see the meter at the bottom of the VF. But that is not really an option when shooting birds or really any active target. I had not discovered this issue before buying the camera even though I had read many posts on several forums about the 7DM2.

Don
Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 7D, Canon 7D Mark II, Canon G9, EFS 15-85mm 3.5-5.6, EF 70-200mm F4 L IS, Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM, EF 50mm F1.8 II, EF 40mm F2.8, Canon EF 300mm f/4 L IS USM
See my photos on My Flickr (external link)

pknight
Goldmember
2,655 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Feb 2006

May 05, 2015 15:53 |  #56

Don1 wrote in post #17540803 (external link)
Has there been an update to this issue? I just picked up a 7D Mark II and found that I could barely see the meter at the right of the VF when shooting indoors. But when outdoors I could see nothing there and most of my shooting is outdoors. I'm shooting manual but if I switch to auto ISO, as others have indicated, then I can easily see the meter at the bottom of the VF. But that is not really an option when shooting birds or really any active target. I had not discovered this issue before buying the camera even though I had read many posts on several forums about the 7DM2.

In other threads on this issue it has been claimed that the display is "hard wired" to only show certain info in certain places in the VF. It is not like the rear LCD screen, where you can display anything you want at any point by changing the input signal. I don't know if this is true, but I have owned four other Canon DSLRs, and I have never seen the VF display information changed via firmware upgrades.

I stopped using Magic Lantern when it continually crashed my 7D, so I don't recall whether it affects the area of the VF we are talking about (the green bits around the edge, not info on the image itself). I'm sure someone can tell us.

Digital EOS 7D Mark II Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC HLD, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

MikeWa
879 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Apr 2012

May 05, 2015 16:58 |  #57

I like the meter locations where they are. But I would like to see some sort of control over their brightness.

Mike

Mike...G9; 7D; 7D Mark II; EF-S 10-22mm; EF-S 18-135mm IS STM; EF 28-300mm F3.5-5.6L; EF 70-300mm IS USM; EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS-II; EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS; EXT 1.4-II & 2.0-III; The more I learn the less I know.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,955 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2007

May 06, 2015 05:54 |  #58

The graphics in the viewfinder is masked. It can turn on or off, but not change shape or color.
Now in this particular case, there are indeed two separate scales, one below and one to the right of the viewfinder. Thus it's possible to move information shown on one of them to the other, since they are similar in appearance, but that's a special case in this camera.

Otherwise it's the same as the top display vs. the rear one. The top display has a set of discrete symbols, which can be on or off, but the rear one has so many tiny symbols (pixels), that they can be combined to virtually any shape.

Anders

Mike ­ T
42 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Aug 2007

May 20, 2015 10:25 |  #59

I instinctively use my left eye and I guess because you naturally look slightly inward to the right with your left eye I have no trouble seeing the vertical meter but agree it is some what faint. If I look through the my right eye, which I always do for BIF shots, then it's much more difficult to see without concentrating.
Fortunately I've gotten used to using auto ISO in Manual setting and get the EC meter at the bottom so at least I can see what EC I've set but haven't worked out a quick way to change the EC on the go without taking camera away from my eye to reset it. Any help please.

Mike

Mike T

EOS 1DX mkII, EOS 5D mkIV, EF 500 f4 L, EF 100-400 mkII, EF 24-70 f/4 L, EF 70-200 f/4 L IS, EF 100 f2.8 IS L, Canon 1.4 mkIII Extender, Gitzo 4542, Wimberley mkII Gimbal

pknight
Goldmember
2,655 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Feb 2006

May 20, 2015 10:29 |  #60

I posted earlier that I had no problem seeing this meter, but recent experience has led me to realize that when looking straight ahead, it is difficult to see. However, I am apparently used to moving my eye/head to see whatever part of the VF I need to see, and don't think much about it. I can look around the VF and see what I need to see without much trouble (as in, I wasn't really aware that I was doing it). I can see that if I were dead set on being able to see the entire VF display in one glance, I would not be satisfied.

Digital EOS 7D Mark II Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC HLD, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

sponsored links

25,775 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D Mark II Exposure Level Indicator
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.