Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 01 May 2015 (Friday) 16:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where to send Canon lens for inspection and Seller issues....

Ralph ­ III
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by Ralph III. (6 edits in all)

May 01, 2015 16:57 |  #1

Hello All,
I recently purchased a Canon 80-200 f2.8 L (M. Drainpipe) but immediately noticed upon inspection with a pen flashlight, that there was a lot of spots/specs on one element and the same type spots/specs isolated in the middle part of another element, which was very odd.

The later really concerned me because I thought it possible fungus had begun to grow in the middle and just hadn't had time to spread outward on that particular element. It definitely doesn't seem to simply be dust specs because dust varies in size and they don't simply congregate on one spot of a lens. Anyhow, others on POTN felt it was delamination taking place but either way something isn't right with the lens.

---------------

MY INQUIRY IS THIS: I returned the lens to the Seller who stated she took it by a Canon store and had a "technician" look at it who stated there was no delamination, no fungus and that he only saw a "little" dust inside and that such was "normal". The problem is she lives in Florida and there is no Canon Service Center in that state. I was always under the impression you had to ship your gear to one of Canon's Service Centers to have them properly inspect, clean or repair?

So, what type of Canon "technician" could she have had look at it or do you think it was just a Salesman giving an opinion?

Needless to say, she wants me to cover the $20.00 in original shipping for having shipped her perfectly good lens back to her...

You can find my original thread here in regards, https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=17534850

Otherwise see the image below of the one element that is completely covered with these specs. It was to difficult to get an image of the element with specs isolated only in the middle. Note: the light flare is just from my flashlight.

Thanks,
Ralph

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"
POTN FEEDBACK...............ITEMS FOR SALE

sponsored links
InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

May 01, 2015 21:47 |  #2

Personally, it would be worth the $20.00 to return that lens and be done with the issue.
Move on and get a fresh copy. Try an eBay item, shipped directly form Japan.
I live in Japan, and have purchased used gear for a 20-40%-off retail price that was flawless.

Best of luck to you.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

wujonathan
48 posts
Joined Nov 2012

May 02, 2015 04:10 |  #3

As it is usually cheaper to browse online, it is the risk you have to take if you do not like what you get.
I would suggest just return the item! Better spend the $20 than stuck with a faulty lens.

-John
Canon 6D | Tamron 24-70 F2.8 | Canon 70-200 F2.8L IS II

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
9,243 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by msowsun.

May 02, 2015 09:07 |  #4

InfiniteDivide wrote in post #17540199 (external link)
Personally, it would be worth the $20.00 to return that lens and be done with the issue.
Move on and get a fresh copy. Try an eBay item, shipped directly form Japan.
I live in Japan, and have purchased used gear for a 20-40%-off retail price that was flawless.

Best of luck to you.

wujonathan wrote in post #17540387 (external link)
As it is usually cheaper to browse online, it is the risk you have to take if you do not like what you get.
I would suggest just return the item! Better spend the $20 than stuck with a faulty lens.

In the first post, the OP (Ralph) said the lens has already been returned. I assume the seller has refunded the buyer the full amount.

It seems the seller now wants the buyer to pay for the original shipping costs that were already refunded.

The lens was not as described. It appears that after getting the lens back, the seller took the lens to a regular Canon retailer and the salesperson said it looked Okay to them. The lens is not Okay.

Ralph, did you pay the return shipping at your cost? This transaction should not cost you anything. There is no way I would pay back the original $20 shipping costs.

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

May 02, 2015 11:49 |  #5

yes, i'm with Mike. Not sure the pic you have is proof enough if you get into an EBAY (assuming it was EBAY) battle with her, but assuming you've already received your refund i would not give her any more of your time.

Although I might go so far as to send them the photo you took and alert EBAY that the seller might be misrepresenting the lens in a future sale.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,922 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by Tom Reichner with reason 'I corrected one spelling mistake by adding an "s" to the word "needless" '.

May 02, 2015 18:02 |  #6

Ralph III wrote in post #17539994 (external link)
Needless to say, she wants me to cover the $20.00 in original shipping for having shipped her perfectly good lens back to her...

I don't think that saying that is needless at all. In fact, if you hadn't said it, I would have had no idea what the current issue was with your transaction / dispute.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Ralph ­ III
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by Ralph III. (2 edits in all)

May 02, 2015 20:50 |  #7

Thanks for the input everyone. MSOWSUN had it correct.

I did ship the lens back but she didn't issue the refund as promised. Instead she took it to someone she referred to as a Canon "technician" in Miami who essentially gave the lens an A++ and that is was as good as he's ever seen an 80-200 f2.8 L and that there was no issue. He went on to state he in fact could only see a few specs of dust within it.

Anyhow, she stated I should cover the original $20.00 shipping in addition to my $20.00 return shipping, for having returned a perfectly good lens.

Consequently, I contacted Canon Technical Service out of curiosity. They no longer service the lens in any fashion (of course) but wouldn't even inspect it; even if they did, any inspection, cleaning or service would have to be done at one of the three Service Centers and not at some unknown store by an unknown technician.

I told her the supposed "technician" had done her a disservice because there is something wrong with the lens and forwarded all the details along with Canon Technical Support number for her.

She promptly issued a full refund after that.

God Bless,
Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
9,243 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2007

May 02, 2015 21:25 |  #8

I'm glad it worked out for you but did you have to pay the return shipping?

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

Ralph ­ III
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 03, 2015 09:48 |  #9

msowsun wrote in post #17541138 (external link)
I'm glad it worked out for you but did you have to pay the return shipping?

Yes, I ate the return shipping costs but there was no way I was going to get that back. I'm meticulous about asking questions but on rare occasions a Seller will still miss something. I don't think she intentionally misrepresented the lens as much as she just didn't know what to look for.

She's the original owner and had only used it a few times over the years; so she cannot understand how it could have an issue...

Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,270 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

May 03, 2015 10:00 |  #10

Bummer you're out the 20 but looks like you avoided losing a lot more than that. Buying used sometimes has its problems.

You might consider looking at KEH or somewhere else reputable instead of a private seller. Camera gear off eBay always scares me as I have no idea what type of skill level the seller has. I don't mind paying a bit more for peace of mind. That being said I've had success at Craigslist simply because you can meet the person, inspect the items and chat with them to get an idea about usage etc.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,922 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 03, 2015 10:27 |  #11

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #17541593 (external link)
Camera gear off eBay always scares me as I have no idea what type of skill level the seller has. I don't mind paying a bit more for peace of mind.

I have actually bought a lot of gear from eBay, and not had any issues. In fact, I do know what skill level the sellers there have, because I always have a telephone conversation with them prior to bidding on / buying the lens. When you spend 15 or 20 minutes on the phone with someone you can get a real good idea about their level of know-how, as well as a sense of their integrity.

BTW, Ted, it is a relief to see someone spell "peace of mind" properly. So many mindless fools write "piece" instead of "peace". Drives me nuts.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,270 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by FarmerTed1971.

May 03, 2015 12:11 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #12

I've never even thought of conversing on the phone with an eBay seller. Wow, been buying/selling on there for 15 years and never done it. I think that's a great idea. Thanks.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,183 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

May 03, 2015 13:09 |  #13

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #17541593 (external link)
Camera gear off eBay always scares me as I have no idea what type of skill level the seller has.

i bought a few off of ebay, with no problems...but i don't even see where the seller said he bought it off of ebay here...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,922 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by Tom Reichner.

May 03, 2015 23:28 |  #14

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #17541720 (external link)
I've never even thought of conversing on the phone with an eBay seller. Wow, been buying/selling on there for 15 years and never done it. I think that's a great idea. Thanks.

Thanks, Ted!

Over the past 9 years, I have bought a number of small items, as well as Canon 400 f2.8 non IS, a Canon 400 f2.8 IS, and a Sigma 300-800mm f5.6 DG off of eBay - each of these was in excess of $5000 - no way I would have spent so much on an eBay transaction without having a good long talk with the folks selling the lenses. In each instance, I simply sent the seller a "question about the item", explained that I was a serious buyer, and asked if they could call me. Each seller called within a day, and all were actually relieved to speak to me, as sellers are just as vulnerable as buyers on eBay.

I've done the same thing when buying or selling here on POTN, as well as Fred Miranda. It's usually just better to spend a few minutes talking with folks so each of you can build a little trust. In my opinion, business everywhere should be a little bit more personal than it usually is.

Who knows, if the OP of this thread had been able to speak with the person selling the lens, perhaps a rapport would have been built, and things would have gone more smoothly when the problem was discovered.

sponsored links

2,282 views & 1 like for this thread
Where to send Canon lens for inspection and Seller issues....
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.