Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 May 2015 (Friday) 03:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Trying to determine if my 10-stop filter has a color cast

trale
46 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 01, 2015 03:18 |  #1

I recently bought a 10-stop ND filter for my 5D3. It works beautifully, and from normal shooting I'm not detecting any noticeable color cast, which is great. Here's a quick test I did outside:

Without filter:

IMAGE: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/whf5zowfqqdyspo/C_outdoors_nofilter.jpg

With filter:
IMAGE: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/5uei13p2lv428vy/C_outdoors_10stop.jpg

But I'd like to be a bit more thorough, so I did a few controlled indoor test shots with a color-checker, and I need some help to analyze the result.

The first scenario is set on Auto-white-balance (which is what I normally shoot with anyway).
The no-filter test case resulted in a normally exposed shot at a shutter speed of 1/30s, Temp=4250, Tint=+21:
IMAGE: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/zjdwupnn9e8l6o9/E_AWB_noFilter.jpg

With the filter, I get an shutter speed of 25s, Temp= 4150, Tint=+8
IMAGE: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/riwhcihrkszl7q2/E_AWB_10stop.jpg

My first impression is that they look very similar, the filtered shot perhaps a tad warmer. A slight tweak will make them look identical. But then I noticed that the Temp and Tint values are not the same as the control shot. The control has a slightly higher Temp (4250 vs 4150), and a significantly higher tint toward magenta (+21 vs +8). So even though the resulting shot looks pretty similar, their Temp and Tint values are different to reach a similar output.

So the 2nd scenario is to use manual white balance so the temp & tint stays the same in both shots, and here's what I got:

Control shot (no filter): WB set to 4300 (and apparently a tint of +8):
IMAGE: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/nhu2tqo467brgzw/F_4300k_noFilter.jpg

With filter: Same Temp =4300, tint=+8
IMAGE: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/u6u80ddsxt77nfe/F_4300k_10stop.jpg

My reaction is that the filtered shot looks better white-balanced, but what really matters is that clearly it doesn't look the same as the no-filter control shop. The temperature doesn't differ much between the shots, but the no-filter shot has a green tint compared to the filtered shot's magenta tint.

So does this mean that my 10-stop filter does have a color-cast toward magenta? Even thought with Auto WB the shots look nearly the same, and sliding the tint slider in post can eliminate any perceived differences.

What conclusions should I draw?

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,982 posts
Gallery: 2091 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

May 01, 2015 03:31 |  #2

Heya,

All filters of this magnitude have a color cast.
The real question is to what degree and if it's acceptable and easy to deal with in post.

The conclusion to draw here is that your filter has a near unnoticeable color cast, which is very good for a 10 stop filter and you should be very happy with this filter.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

May 01, 2015 05:48 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

That little difference would not have bothered me on film, where you are pretty much stuck with it. In the digital age, the difference is quite meaningless.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

AJSJones
Goldmember
2,647 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2001

May 01, 2015 12:16 |  #4

MalVeauX wrote in post #17539311 (external link)
Heya,

The real question is to what degree and if it's acceptable and easy to deal with in post.

The conclusion to draw here is that your filter has a near unnoticeable color cast, which is very good for a 10 stop filter and you should be very happy with this filter.

Very best,

Wrong!!! It is EXCELLENT for a 10-stop filter:D:D

My picture galleries (external link)

brucea
620 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Oct 2004

May 01, 2015 14:04 |  #5

the question nobody has asked: what is the brand of the filter??

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,770 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

May 01, 2015 16:01 as a reply to  @ brucea's post |  #6

If the filter is that good, why does it matter?

Maybe so you can go out and buy one? :-)

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/147975282@N06 (external link)

trale
THREAD ­ STARTER
46 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 01, 2015 16:18 |  #7

MalVeauX wrote in post #17539311 (external link)
Heya,

Very best,

Yes, I am very happy with this filter. And in my normal flow of post-processing, I'm not seeing any kind of cast that's tricky to get rid of. It's as easy to work with as normal shots without the filters.

I suppose my OP is more an academic question: What should be the process/methodology for determining whether any filter has a cast or not, and to what degree?

Theoretically speaking, if a filter is absolutely color neutral, then when shot under the same Temperature and Tint settings (with the appropriate shutter-speed to achieve the same exposure), it should look exactly the same as a shot without the filter, right? Or is there something wrong with that reasoning?

And for anyone that is curious, this filter is from a brand new company that I helped kick-start:
http://breakthrough.ph​otography/ (external link)

This is their X3 10 stop ND filter. It is their premium line, and certainly commands a premium price. And so far, it's living up to that claim. Certainly better than my previous Hoyas NDs. I didn't include this in my OP, to avoid biased responses.

scotchtape
152 posts
Joined Aug 2013

May 01, 2015 16:36 |  #8

Nice. My cheap ND filters (that I never use) have terrible color cast.
I have one of those expensive Tiffens that got good reviews but haven't made any tests with that one yet - the variable ND one.

Someone should do a comp

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,982 posts
Gallery: 2091 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

May 04, 2015 00:16 |  #9

Heya,

The very nature of things, you have to expect SOME change to the light as it passes through a medium of some kind, especially a crystalline matrix like what you find in a filter. The fact that they found a better way to make a strong 10 stop filter and reduce the color cast that is associated with them to a much lesser degree is fantastic. Granted, we can fix color casts quite easily in post, so it's not that big a deal to me. I do like the idea of one less thing to adjust in post. Maybe if they ever produce square plate filters, I'll get interested in one of their products. As it is, I have no want/need for a 10 stop circular screw on. That said, again, they have done wonderful engineering to achieve such a low degree of color cast. But again, you have to expect a slight bit of change to light passing through a filter.

If there was no measurable difference, I would question authenticity, you know? It's not possible to have "absolute" neutrality. Again, the light is passing through a medium. It will change. It must. It's just a question of "to what degree."

Great filter. If they go square, it will make Lee re-think things.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,673 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 04, 2015 16:38 |  #10

That's pretty damn impressive color accuracy for a 10 stop filter. I would be thrilled to have that little of color change.

sponsored links

1,422 views & 0 likes for this thread
Trying to determine if my 10-stop filter has a color cast
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.