Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 25 Apr 2015 (Saturday) 07:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Senior portrait first attempt

marlexop
THREAD ­ STARTER
50 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Apr 26, 2015 09:46 as a reply to  @ post 17533004 |  #16

All of this advise is amazing and I really needed this,, thanks again to all,,
Now all I wanna do is go back at it again and just keep getting better,, luckily it's my nephew who is easy to work with and makes for a great subject

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited over 6 years ago by ksbal.

Apr 26, 2015 10:17 |  #17

I did a search on 'finding good light' here is an article to read, but the main thing is to keep looking for articles to learn from, until you find things that work for you....

http://mcpactions.com …ght-for-your-photography/ (external link)

Personally, I like directional light.. like in front of a north window or overhang on a porch.. local parks sometimes have gazebos and other overhead structures, explore the light on the edge of those.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 6 years ago by Alveric.

Apr 26, 2015 14:48 |  #18
bannedPermanent ban

marlexop wrote in post #17532984 (external link)
Very little adjusted shadows and contrast, didn't touch saturation

What software are you using for post? Note that some RAW processors automatically apply a medium contrast curve that boosts the contrast, yes, but also the saturation. LR does this by default, unless you instruct it to use a 'Linear' curve: then you can do the contrast adjustments yourself with more finesse.

Also, check your camera's Picture Styles: you might be using one that boost contrast and saturation as well. I have the camera set to Neutral. With Canon's own RAW processor and Lightroom, you can select a different Picture Style in post. Might be worth a try.

Oh, and something I forgot to say earlier regarding the Rule of Thirds: when you have your subject centred, as in the second photo you posted, the eye line should coincide with the upper RoT line. If the subject isn't facing you head on and/or has his head leaning so that his eyes are not level, the RoT power point coincides with the eye that is closer to the camera, which should be the one in perfect focus as well.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Del ­ Boy
188 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Feb 2010

May 03, 2015 23:26 |  #19

Lots of great advice here about composition, exposure & light which is important but these are both really OOF. IMHO, you can adjust so much in pp but you can't fix an out of focus pic.

I would start with nailing focus. I.E. - Is it technique, settings, equipment? Then worry about exposure, etc.

This time next year we'll be Millionaires!
Gear & Feedback
flickr (external link)

bigburpsx3
31 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 04, 2015 00:44 |  #20

Del Boy wrote in post #17542434 (external link)
Lots of great advice here about composition, exposure & light which is important but these are both really OOF. IMHO, you can adjust so much in pp but you can't fix an out of focus pic.

I would start with nailing focus. I.E. - Is it technique, settings, equipment? Then worry about exposure, etc.

I agree with this along with all of the framing and lighting advice. OP, you are taking a very good first step posting your work out here for critique! I have been shooting for a few years and still have trouble doing that. I hope you take the time to read everything that was posted and improve!

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,316 views & 3 likes for this thread
Senior portrait first attempt
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.