Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
Thread started 14 Mar 2015 (Saturday) 23:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

going on an alaskan cruise what to bring

Luxx
478 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 14, 2015 23:36 |  #1

week long alaskan cruise on one of the disney ships. Family trip…not photography trip but if I have a little time.
I will bring my 6D and 70D
For taking pictures of the kids/environmental portraits 24-70 Also my widest for landscape
For taking pictures of wildlife…I am assuming that brining the 300 2.8 L will be too hard…heavy, tough to carry and use on the boat…so 100-400
My point and shoot pentax wg-3 (waterproof/crushproof​)
tripod? monopod? If not maybe the 35 IS
I have never used a ND filter…maybe a good purchase for this trip?

Anything else people would really recommend. Trying to travel relatively light

sponsored links
Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 15, 2015 10:43 |  #2

If you have not used an ND filter before then I would not suggest using one for the first time on a family trip. I also think a CPL would be a better investment. Will you be in ports during sunrise/sunset, if not I would think even leaving the tripod at home.

I am lucky enough that my family trips are photography trips but I have also done some trips only taking the PS knowing it was all about family time and experiences.

cbfount
31 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Apr 21, 2015 00:52 |  #3

Not sure when you're leaving or if you've left... Your list looks good and 100-400 is a good choice. You'll have ample opportunity to shoot from the deck--calving glaciers, playful sea life, bald eagles, etc.

Canon analog & digital and a small bag of sharp glass... Rapidly favoring my compact Fuji travel kit...

bsmotril
Goldmember
2,516 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2006

May 04, 2015 09:26 |  #4

If you have a balcony room, a tripod can be useful. When I went last Summer, I ended up only using the 24-70. I had a 100-300DO, but never took it out of the bag. Take a CPL, on a Sunny day it can really add drama to shots with sea, sky, and green forest.

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/ (external link) --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/ (external link)

philmar
Cream of the Crop
7,655 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Joined Jan 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by philmar.

Aug 04, 2015 16:27 |  #5

Bring as much as your family will allow you to bring.
I brought everything I had on an Alaskan cruise including tripod. Whatever I wasn't using that day stayed in the cabin locked up. i even took a 150-600 telephoto lens and used it to great success.
Check out my gallery. https://flic.kr/s/aHsj​YPhqWV (external link)

A photo I took HERE published in National GeographicTime on your hands? Then HERE'S plenty more photos to nibble on (external link):
http://https …photos/phil_mar​ion/albums (external link)

Luxx
THREAD ­ STARTER
478 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 07, 2016 23:57 |  #6

Hmm it was months ago but...
I took 6d with 24-70 2.8 on it and 70d with 100-400 and it was great. I has brought 35 2 and 18-135 and didn't use either. Also has a couple flashes but only used the little,one.

sponsored links

5,188 views & 0 likes for this thread
going on an alaskan cruise what to bring
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.