Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 10 Feb 2015 (Tuesday) 20:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Team Photo Start-up

figo
699 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 10, 2015 20:58 |  #1

In the running for a contract with a local soccer association to take team/individual photos.
Questions:
1. What software would you recommend to organize players names, etc
2. How many minutes does it take to photograhic 10 kids?
3. What percentage/amount do you usually donate to the clubs?

Thanks

Canon 1D MKIV, 1D MKIII, Canon 70-200 f2.8, Canon 400 f2.8, Canon 16-35mm f2.8.

sponsored links
rgs
Goldmember
2,328 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 10, 2015 21:28 |  #2

1. Whatever your lab provides. They all use their own. You can probably get order cards/envelopes from them or make your own following their pattern.

2. Allow about 1/2 hour and do the team photo last (because someone will be late).

3. Nothing. But if you are doing and entire league and they are used to getting a share, find out what it has been and increase your prices accordingly (if possible).

Internet ordering is unreliable. Try to offer your best prices at the time of the shoot so you get paid up front. Then the internet orders are just for re-orders or those that couldn't order on site.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

figo
THREAD ­ STARTER
699 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 10, 2015 21:29 as a reply to  @ rgs's post |  #3

What is the best way to keep track of each individual's name? In camera?

Canon 1D MKIV, 1D MKIII, Canon 70-200 f2.8, Canon 400 f2.8, Canon 16-35mm f2.8.

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 11, 2015 06:57 as a reply to  @ figo's post |  #4

Take a post it note and write players name on it. Take a picture of the note with your camera, next several pictures will be of the player. Rinse & repeat with other players.

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 11, 2015 08:48 |  #5

The photographers that shoot for the YMCA in our area just have you list the child's number and name on the order form. They then stack the forms in the order they shoot the kids. I assume they do the file association back at the office.

njstacker22
703 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Feb 11, 2015 09:12 |  #6

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #17426893 (external link)
The photographers that shoot for the YMCA in our area just have you list the child's number and name on the order form. They then stack the forms in the order they shoot the kids. I assume they do the file association back at the office.

I have no experience with shooting portrait work but this seems to be the easiest way to handle things on site.

Sony A7ii [Sony FE 16-35mm f/4] [Sony FE 28-70mm] [Rokinon 135mm F2] [Sony 50mm 1.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/djbigley/ (external link)

rgs
Goldmember
2,328 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 11, 2015 11:31 |  #7

Parents fill out the order card and give it to me. I put a sticker with the kid's sequence number on it. I sort it all out afterwards at the office. Works fast and doesn't create errors. I also ask for a phone number and jersey number on the order card. That helps me sort out anything that I can't figure out otherwise.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

jwhite65
395 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by jwhite65. (2 edits in all)

Feb 16, 2015 16:16 |  #8

I keep a separate roster of the kids' names and frame numbers as I take the photos. That way, it doesn't matter what order the order forms end up in, what order I shoot the kids, etc. It also allows me to start shooting as soon as the first kid shows up. When editing, I match frame number to kid's name to order form and go from there.

As far as time... If you are shooting just a few teams a day, I would allow 30-45 minutes between each team's start time. If you are shooting the whole league, you are going to have to drop that down to about 15-20 minutes and if a kid is late, too bad. He'll have to come on the make-up day.

Jeff
http://www.jeffwhiteph​otography.com (external link)
5D MkIII | 5D MkII | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 24-70 f/2.8L | 50mm f/1.4 | 600EX-RT (3) | ST-E3-RT

NetJohn
82 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 16, 2015 23:31 |  #9

Write at least one image number on the order form. Easy peasy. If I took a few different ones, I just need the one for ID. Forms get out of order? Don't care, have the number on the form. Shuffle them up if you want. Takes about 3 seconds to hit "review" on the camera and write the number. Also nice that I can see what packages were ordered so that if I need a close-up head shot (think button), I can make sure to grab one.

No order form? Grab a blank one, right his/her name, and shoot. Almost always manage to turn a "forgot my form" into an order with a phone call or an email.

NJ

Canon Shooter

ChescoPhoto
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Apr 2015

Apr 27, 2015 08:36 |  #10

I'm way late to the game, but:

Questions:

1. What software would you recommend to organize players names, etc:
-We don't use any software on photo days. We take a slate before each team with the team name, team number, and coach's name. We have an assistant that works with each photographer, and as the player comes up, they hand the assistant their order form. The assistant writes a Team number and a Frame number. So 1st kid from the 1st team would be 1-1. 2nd kid would be 1-2, 1-3, so on. Every couple of kids, we'll write a uniform number or some sort of additional identifier as a sanity check (Be careful what you use as your identifier...you don't want a parent asking for the form back to make a change and see that you wrong "BLACK" or "GINGER" across the top!) All envelopes get bundled with the slate. Done deal.

2. How many minutes does it take to photograhic 10 kids?
- 5 minutes? T&I isn't a massive multipose photoshoot with each kid getting there 15 minutes of fame. Its quick and dirty. 1 of our photographers can easily do 8 teams an hour.

3. What percentage/amount do you usually donate to the clubs?
- Varies from club to club. Sometimes its a flat rate per package (like $2 per order) or its a percentage. This is something you have to negotiate with the organization.

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,931 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

May 04, 2015 12:22 as a reply to  @ ChescoPhoto's post |  #11

^^^These sound like great tips.

I know this isn't soccer but...

I shoot swim teams, individual portraits, action shots (in the water), and the big team photo. I have everyone sign up before I'm there for the individual portrait and action shots, so I'm only shooting the child athletes of paying customers. Once I have a couple photos of a subject, I ask their name (if I don't know already from the logistics), and I record their name as a sound file on my camera (1D iii). That names a .wav the same as the previous frame filename, so when I pull files, I can quickly coordinate the wave files with their images and the athlete name.

This year, I'm setting up a Square store to organize the ordering. I will create "items" for each time slot in the Square store, and each item will be "shipped" only. So, for action shots, that's five athletes in each 15-minute time slot. That will give me names for the slots, I'll have all of the customer info in the shipping information, so delivery and payment will be easy to track. On the day of the shoot, new signups will work through this same interface, just seeing how many are available in a given time slot.

For donations to the team, I just donate all of the profits from the team photo. It's just easier for me to print off a stack of 8x10s and hand that stack off to the team volunteers to deliver them. The big team photo only takes me about 15 minutes to shoot, about an hour to process, and another hour to print/review/adjust/re​print. Not an insane amount of work for a donation, and I end up writing the team a check between $500 and $1000, depending on orders.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

i_am_cdn
258 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by i_am_cdn.

May 05, 2015 15:17 |  #12

here is what i do, and it works for any size organization

1)
have parents fill out form ahead of time and bring money. on the form in the top corner i have a box with 2 lines Seq: and Group:

I take all forms and call first name from first form, record the next photo number from my camera Under Seq, and on group I put 1 for first player, 2 for second and so on.

If there are multiple groups/teams the group has 1-1, 1-2 for first group, and 2-1, 2-2 for second group and so on.

If I have more than a couple groups, I bring an assistant who manages the forms and payments.

This way, I only take photos of paying customers, and I have 2 ways to confirm who is in each photo.

In 6 years, and 1000's of athletes I have never printed the wrong photo for a client.

2)
A group of 10 kids takes me 10-15 minutes to shoot the individuals and team. but it can also take me 10-20 minutes to setup if we are shooting with multiple lights (which I do for Hockey, if we shoot off ice with a backdrop).

3)
I don't donate to a club unless I get the entire club. Most teams here do their own thing, so no need. For some larger businesses like a Dance Academy, I have a White-Label service they can buy from me. In that case they deal with all order forms and money and pay me a rate per player plus printing. They then mark up the service. This is only for very large well established companies who want to keep their Brand on everything.

For smaller clubs I will pay around $1 - $1.50 per individual order as a "donation". This is based on an average order of $22

hope this helps

Douglas Portz Photography
www.portz.ca (external link)
www.winnipegsportsteam​photos.com (external link)
www.winnipegsportsphot​os.com (external link)
www.winnipegeventphoto​s.com (external link)

sponsored links

2,160 views & 0 likes for this thread
Team Photo Start-up
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.