Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 May 2015 (Wednesday) 17:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 400mm F/2.8 IS I Question

SierraHighPhoto
447 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by SierraHighPhoto.

May 06, 2015 17:02 |  #1

A buddy of mine is selling his Canon 400mm F/2.8 IS MKI for the new MKII. I'm thinking about purchasing it, but it does have a small scratch on the lens, about half an inch in size give or take. From what I've seen, and what he's told me, it doesn't affect the shots at all. Though I've read it could affect lens flare when shooting into lights more.

I tried to ask Canon for an estimate, but they gave me the typical run around about not knowing and bla bla bla.

If I wanted to get it fixed, does anyone know how much it would cost to get that done? I've read some people say usually you can count on it cost 1/3rd of the cost of the lens. Does that put it at roughly 3 grand to get fixed? Seems crazy, but I'm just not sure.

Just don't want to buy it to have to fix it. And I doubt he'd drop the price $3,000 for it.

Anyone know how much Canon would charge to fix it?

Thanks

*TITLE SHOULD SAY CANON, WHOOPS!!!!!*

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,159 posts
Gallery: 1633 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

May 06, 2015 17:52 |  #2

Heya,

If you're just going to try to get it fixed, then don't buy it and just pay for one that is NOT already damaged.

If I were in your shoes, I would buy the 400 F2.8 IS for $3k and who cares what the scratch on the lens causes. That's a $5k lens used. $2k off? Worth a scratch to me likely, especially when it doesn't even effect the image quality or show up in any way. Will it possibly cause some weird flare or a loss of contrast in an area? Maybe a bit. But I wouldn't stress about it. I wouldn't even send it to have the lens replaced ($$$$$) since again, a used one that is not scratched can be had for $5k. If you want one without a scratch, just pony up. Otherwise, enjoy the discount. $3k for a 400 F2.8 is very good if it's in good working condition.

I'd frankly be more worried about the focus motor and stuff than the scratch.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,661 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 06, 2015 18:00 |  #3

Though it's confusing, I don't think he actually mentioned the price?

So as to whether to get it, depends on the price.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

gorben
85 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by gorben.

May 06, 2015 18:02 |  #4

Hello,

I suggest you read the following article (external link). Usually, light scratches in the front element do not cause much IQ drop. Depending on the price, but if he is selling much cheaper than regular price, I would get it.

Canon 5DIII, 24-105L, 100-400L vII, 35 f/1.4, 50 f/1.4, 100 f/2.0, 100L f2.8 macro
Fuji X-T10, 18-55 & 27
FlickR (external link)

SierraHighPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
447 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 06, 2015 18:12 |  #5

He's asking $4,500.

MalVeauX
13,159 posts
Joined Feb 2013

May 06, 2015 18:15 |  #6

SierraHighPhoto wrote in post #17546433 (external link)
He's asking $4,500.

You can see 400 F2.8's on the bay in excellent condition for about $5k.

Again, how did the lens get the scratch? I'd worry more about the impact damage to the motor and internals than the scratch.

But if you're not getting a deep discount, I'd pass.

Very best,

SierraHighPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
447 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 06, 2015 18:16 |  #7

I'm not exactly sure, I'd have to ask him. He does wildlife with it so I'm guessing maybe a bush or stick, but that's just a rough guess.

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,659 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by rdalrt. (2 edits in all)

May 06, 2015 18:25 as a reply to  @ SierraHighPhoto's post |  #8

Is it on the front "element"? I say "element", because I believe on the 400 2.8 IS V1, the front glass is just a piece for protection and not an optical element of the lens. And I have read before that it actually isn't that expensive to replace. Give Canon service a call and ask em.

This changed with the V2. Part of the weight savings.

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

MalVeauX
13,159 posts
Joined Feb 2013

May 06, 2015 18:28 |  #9

SierraHighPhoto wrote in post #17546440 (external link)
I'm not exactly sure, I'd have to ask him. He does wildlife with it so I'm guessing maybe a bush or stick, but that's just a rough guess.

Heya,

If a branch/stick scratched it, it's just the coating that is scratched.

If the glass is scratched, it wasn't a branch/stick, it was something very very hard (hence why I would wonder if the motor and all is good and working).

Very best,

jimewall
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined May 2008

May 06, 2015 19:08 |  #10

I'd be amazed if the stick or branch would even scratch the coating on a lens. I too would be worried more about the inner workings of the lens, rather than the scratch. Dirt (sand) accidentally getting to the lens element causing the scratch would be one of the few reasons that would make me less worried.

Thanks for Reading & Good Luck - Jim
GEAR

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,659 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by rdalrt.

May 06, 2015 19:43 |  #11

Ah, I found it. Member at another forum had the front protective element replaced along with the rubber ring and rear mount. Here is the invoice.

http://s654.photobucke​t.com …Canon400mmf28LI​S.jpg.html (external link)

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

SierraHighPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
447 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 06, 2015 19:49 |  #12

From what he's said and what I've seen, it works like it's supposed to. I don't hear anything moving, it doesn't lag or jolt. Is there something specific I should be looking for next time I see it?

Yes it's the outer element. I've read for $100 on Ebay you can buy the glass yourself and fix it, but I'm not one to play games with big equipment haha.

SierraHighPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
447 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 06, 2015 19:57 |  #13

The scratch looks something like this. Not to the same degree or curvy, but a line that's about half an inch give or take:

http://i.ebayimg.com …fGQAAOSwv0tVOEV​l/$_57.JPG (external link)

notastockpikr
408 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 07, 2015 07:06 |  #14

I have a 500mm v1 that had a tiny mark on the front protective element. The repair involved replacing the first element group and cost $750. I'd offer the seller $3750 to start and settle for $4k.

I'm assuming the OP has held this beast? Not a handheld lens for any length of time unless you're Arnold S.

SierraHighPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
447 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 07, 2015 10:52 |  #15

Okay then yeah, definitely going to knock the price down a bit then. I figured it'd be something like 5-2Kish but wasn't exactly sure either. I do trust that it doesn't affect image quality so I might not need to do anything, or at least for quite some time, but wanted a ballpark number to get it fixed.

I've held the lens before, it hasn't been for awhile though, and yeah, I definitely know how much it weighs lol.

sponsored links

1,619 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 400mm F/2.8 IS I Question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.