Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 05 May 2015 (Tuesday) 16:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Something unusual walked into the studio this week

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 05, 2015 16:30 |  #1

In fine working order with every conceivable accessory made for it. Anyone know what this is...bonus points if you don't have to use Google  :p Can't wait to get this fired up later this week! :-)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

OK, ok...here's a (really obvious) hint. ;-)a

HOSTED PHOTO

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,340 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.

May 05, 2015 16:38 |  #2

i've read about that i think. some guy invented a light painter gadget, right?

great logo.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Luckless
Goldmember
3,061 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 05, 2015 16:49 |  #3

Interesting. High powered fibre optic directional lighting system?

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Foodguy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by Foodguy. (2 edits in all)

May 05, 2015 17:45 |  #4

Ding...ding...ding! We have a couple of winners :-)

Yes, fiberoptic light painting device. The hand held portion accepts a variety of modifiers shown...light wand, paddle, pin point devices, etc. Most of those devices have their own set of modifiers...grids, diffusion, gels, etc.

The large rectangular flat item is a electro-mechanical shutter device that's controlled via a push button at the hand end of the cale. Additionally is a filter (in this case diffusion) that can swing in and out, it's swing also controlled via a push button at the hand end.

The idea is to establish a base line exposure and then to 'paint' the rest of the scene, either with or without diffusion.

Created by Aaron Jones in the mid 80's it set the advertising world on fire as no one was able to determine how he was able to blend diffused, un-diffused saturated light with such precision. Remember this was well before photoshop layers. I've played around with these in the distant past but never owned a legitimate Hosemaster. Anxious to see if I can use it with my Canon during long exposures as my digital Leaf back is limited to 30 seconds.

Here's a couple of tests I did with a Hosemaster knock off called a Lightbrush (which I traded a Canon F-1 and a case full of lenses for about 1986). While the diffusion aspects are probably easily duplicated with Layers, the specific nature of the lighting would be difficult to duplicate imo.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Foodguy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 05, 2015 17:45 |  #5

A few more oldies.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,622 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 05, 2015 19:37 |  #6

I don't endorse anything pre 2011 :D

My entire hobby of gear lust has temporarily been shifted into overload. Please be patient while my mind tries to get back onto the road to recovery. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause....
My Gear Archive

Foodguy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 05, 2015 20:20 |  #7

2011!

<ouch> :lol:

dmward
Cream of the Crop
8,974 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Jun 2009

May 05, 2015 23:40 |  #8

That is really cool.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

flowrider
Goldmember
3,571 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

May 06, 2015 01:55 |  #9

I remember going to a workshop of commercial photographers in the late 80's and Dean Collins was there pitching something very similar.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,183 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

May 06, 2015 09:38 |  #10

What does an Aaron Jones Hosemaster go for these days?

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Foodguy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 06, 2015 11:15 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #11

I've watched eBay auctions for a few years and they are all over the place...at least in terms of 'asking' price. Completed/sold listing are another story. It seems though that the general consensus would be in the $4-600 range. It also appears that the interest in them waxes and wanes as people (re)-discover the possibilities of working with them.

I was fortunate. A colleague who was retiring had this up for sale along with a ton of other studio equipment (some of which went back to the late 60's- a Salzman camera stand for instance). I didn't really need any additional stuff but he was on a time schedule to close down the studio so at the end of the day he threw this in to sweeten the pot on a speedo pack/head that I bought.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,340 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by Left Handed Brisket. (2 edits in all)

May 06, 2015 12:06 |  #12

i'm going to try not to get aggravated that this thread derailed my productivity earlier this morning. I know it's my fault, or the fault of my genetic make-up, but i somehow still blame you, Foodguy, at least a little bit.  :p There's a chance now that i won't make my wednesday afternoon beer meeting with some favorite colleagues.

As i was reading about this thing, http://chaunceystudios​.com/?p=890 (external link) & http://richardwalkerim​ages.com/2014/07/ (external link) i couldn't help but think that with today's tech, it could be a fairly easy DIY or maybe even a cheaper, more glorified and functional than a DIY, commercial product. I'm not going to give away my ideas, but it is definitely something i am going to look into.

That's the best looking artichoke i think i've ever seen. Not exactly a vegetable that I'm guessing is easy to capture. I really love the small specular type light this thing gives (corn) yet is still even across the subject given a skilled hand. And the light coming through the bottles in the link above?!?! Awesome.

if you get a chance to show the results of the various light modifiers, please do.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Foodguy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by Foodguy.

May 06, 2015 14:22 |  #13

Ha! Yet another rabbit hole on the web :p

I spent some time this morning fabricating the mini-boom that holds the shutter/filter assembly in front of the camera so it's all now complete and ready to go. I ought to be able to start playing around in the next week or so and should I get anything worth sharing I certainly will.

And you're right, there are a number of alternative tools and methods to accomplish the same thing. One issue that cropped up for me in the past was finding suitable fiber optic cable in any significant length. When my Lightbrush cable deteriorated, I ended up hacking something together from the landscape lighting industry. Not great, but that's what I used to shoot the artichoke.

In fact in it's day, there were a number of alternative ideas and units trying to capitalize on the concept. Sinar had a hand held pulsing strobe unit, there was the Lightbrush and a few people even sold devices that were modified dental fiber optic units.. The real advantage to the Hosemster is how well thought out and put together the package is. Looking over this, it's remarkable how well manufactured it is, right down to the smallest accessory. Aaron didn't appear to spare any expense as he was putting this together and no wonder the original list price on this unit and the accessories approaches $10,000...a significant sum in the mid to late 80's. (He later sold the company to Calumet who probably found themselves on the back end of the trend).

At the end of the day though, it's just another tool to make a photograph.;-)a

Foodguy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 07, 2015 19:16 |  #14

Ok..so with an hour to spare today (and with limited subject matter to choose from) I played around for an hour or so. Admittedly, it's a pretty lame photo, but this was more about getting a feel for the equipment and I'm satisfied for a first attempt. It's been a lot of years since I've done this so a lot of time was spent just thinking about the process. Side note, it took me quite a while figuring out how to set the Canon to 'B' :oops:

I shot tethered to LR. Everything worked pretty much as I suspected. A little surprised at the amount of time to process the file in a long exposure, reminded me of waiting on a Polaroid.:-P Noise at long exposure was better than I expected. I think this might have a place in the studio, more likely for test/portfolio work as duplicating results can be a little tricky, or I need to get better organized and take better notes about hose-times. As it was I kept track in my head and would often forget to count of seconds.

A big bonus though is the ability to easily affect white balance which iirc, was a little difficult in the analog film days...trying to balance the output of the lighting device to strobes took some filtration.

This will be fun to play with! :-)

HOSTED PHOTO

The set-up.

HOSTED PHOTO

lilkngster
721 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

May 07, 2015 20:15 as a reply to  @ Foodguy's post |  #15

Wow!

6dII/80d/1dIII|8mm to 400mm|Pro-10/100

sponsored links

2,520 views & 3 likes for this thread
Something unusual walked into the studio this week
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.