Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 10 May 2015 (Sunday) 18:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ideas for when I run out of HD space (Lightroom)

WebDevGuy
Goldmember
1,472 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Nov 2009

May 10, 2015 18:06 |  #1

Using LR CC. All pics are stored on one 1 TB external hard drive. I purchased the HD new this year and it's already 20% used up. When it fills up what next? Will I have to create a brand NEW LR catalog for the next HD? Or can the catalog reference pics on 2 HDs? Thanks!

7D Mark ii, T1i/500D, 17-55 2.8, 100-400L mk II - More Gear
flickr (external link)
Join the group: Canon 7D Mark II + Canon 100-400mm L IS II on flickr (external link)
5 out of 4 people can't do fractions.

sponsored links
Merlin_AZ
869 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by Merlin_AZ.

May 10, 2015 18:11 |  #2

When you run out of space, get a bigger HD.
If you have more than one drive, LR will be able to track where they are as long as you import the images, and if you move any of them, do it from inside LR so it can track them.
People run into trouble if they move photos from outside LR.

WebDevGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,472 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 10, 2015 18:14 |  #3

Merlin_AZ wrote in post #17551109 (external link)
When you run out of space, get a bigger HD.
If you have more than one drive, LR will be able to track where they are as long as you import the images, and if you move any of them, do it from inside LR so it can track them.
People run into trouble if they move photos from outside LR.

Thanks!

flickr (external link)
Join the group: Canon 7D Mark II + Canon 100-400mm L IS II on flickr (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

May 10, 2015 21:28 |  #4

I keep everything organized in a single catalog file, which is stored on my internal drive.

For the actual photo files (raws), I have a "working data" folder structure on my internal drive. Once I've culled, processed, and delivered a set, I move all those raws off my internal drive, onto a network storage device. When I'm connected to my home network, those files are still accessible from within my normal catalog, but they're a little slow to work on.

I have separate backups, too - make sure your external drive is not your only copy!!

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

tim
Light Bringer
50,973 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 11, 2015 04:01 |  #5

You can buy 6TB hard disks relatively cheaply.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

WebDevGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,472 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 11, 2015 08:35 |  #6

nathancarter wrote in post #17551299 (external link)
I keep everything organized in a single catalog file, which is stored on my internal drive.

For the actual photo files (raws), I have a "working data" folder structure on my internal drive. Once I've culled, processed, and delivered a set, I move all those raws off my internal drive, onto a network storage device. When I'm connected to my home network, those files are still accessible from within my normal catalog, but they're a little slow to work on.

I have separate backups, too - make sure your external drive is not your only copy!!

Great advice thanks!

tim wrote in post #17551571 (external link)
You can buy 6TB hard disks relatively cheaply.

True. That may be my next move. ;)

flickr (external link)

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by Kolor-Pikker. (2 edits in all)

May 11, 2015 09:08 |  #7

I'm up to the point where even a 6TB drive may not be that much of an upgrade. And what of backups? I recently created a duplicate of all my data and left it to copy overnight. Not a very fast or secure process IMO.

Once you have over 4TB of data total I think that the next logical step forward is buying a 4/5-bay NAS and populating it with 4~6TB drives in RAID5/6, but that's a roughly $2000 investment for a Synology and 5x4TB drives.

When the 50mp 5DS lands I'll not be the only one with this problem, 60mb files are no joke.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

WebDevGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,472 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 11, 2015 09:29 |  #8

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #17551813 (external link)
I'm up to the point where even a 6TB drive may not be that much of an upgrade. And what of backups? I recently created a duplicate of all my data and left it to copy overnight. Not a very fast or secure process IMO.

Once you have over 4TB of data total I think that the next logical step forward is buying a 4/5-bay NAS and populating it with 4~6TB drives in RAID5/6, but that's a roughly $2000 investment for a Synology and 5x4TB drives.

When the 50mp 5DS lands I'll not be the only one with this problem, 60mb files are no joke.

Wow! I better start saving my money! :) Great idea about the NAS. Maybe if I can afford it I'll give it a try.

flickr (external link)

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by Kolor-Pikker.

May 11, 2015 09:45 |  #9

WebDevGuy wrote in post #17551840 (external link)
Wow! I better start saving my money! :) Great idea about the NAS. Maybe if I can afford it I'll give it a try.

Just some random thoughts about why I'm thinking of a NAS.
- Network features make it better than just a plain RAID box.
- You can have your own cloud server and use it for things other than photo storage.
- You can build your own NAS box and use FreeNAS to take advantage of ZFS+
- You can always add more drives to expand the partition.
- Last but not least, you'll have a nice centralized data dump instead of labelled drives laying around in a closet somewhere.

Still not a replacement for a true backup solution, but rebuilding a lost drive in a 5-bay system is less nerve-wracking than losing a disk who's backup itself may fail while backing up to a new drive.

I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

WebDevGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,472 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 11, 2015 10:22 |  #10

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #17551856 (external link)
Just some random thoughts about why I'm thinking of a NAS.
- Network features make it better than just a plain RAID box.
- You can have your own cloud server and use it for things other than photo storage.
- You can build your own NAS box and use FreeNAS to take advantage of ZFS+
- You can always add more drives to expand the partition.
- Last but not least, you'll have a nice centralized data dump instead of labelled drives laying around in a closet somewhere.

Still not a replacement for a true backup solution, but rebuilding a lost drive in a 5-bay system is less nerve-wracking than losing a disk who's backup itself may fail while backing up to a new drive.

Thanks for the detailed explanation!

flickr (external link)

lukasgunar
298 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2007

May 12, 2015 14:28 |  #11

Hi mate,
I used to have one catalog few years back for all my pictures, however it might have some downsides:
1. if your catalog fails and for some reason you don't have a back-up, you are screwed (likelyhood rather low)
2. over some period of time your Lr will get slower, the bigger your catalog gets (likelyhood very high)
3. you might want to quickly move some pics with your Lr settings to other computer, then smaller catalogs are an easier way to go (likelyhood rather low)
possibly there are far more reasons.

So what I do currently, I create new catalog for every new set of pics (obviously downside is that I am losing great capabilities of what was Lr created for - a big database of all your pictures) however I never have a problem with slowness of Lr.
Probably the best combination of both approaches for you would be to create more than one catalog (e.g. by months/quarters/years) so once you run out of space you have no issues at all. Simply you will buy new hard drive and just create new catalog.

Obviously this is just one of the ways how your query can be treated :-).

Canon EOS 5D MkIV, Canon EOS 30D

Canon 16-35 f/4L IS, Canon 17-40 f/4L, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 50mm f/1.4, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon Speedlite 580EXII

WebDevGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,472 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 12, 2015 14:34 |  #12

lukasgunar wrote in post #17553729 (external link)
Hi mate,
I used to have one catalog few years back for all my pictures, however it might have some downsides:
1. if your catalog fails and for some reason you don't have a back-up, you are screwed (likelyhood rather low)
2. over some period of time your Lr will get slower, the bigger your catalog gets (likelyhood very high)
3. you might want to quickly move some pics with your Lr settings to other computer, then smaller catalogs are an easier way to go (likelyhood rather low)

So what I do currently, I create new catalog for every new set of pics (obviously downside is that I am losing great capabilities of what was Lr created for - a big database of all your pictures) however I never have a problem with slowness of Lr.
Probably the best combination of both approaches for you would be to create more than one catalog (e.g. by months/quarters/years) so once you run out of space you have no issues at all. Simply you will buy new hard drive and just create new catalog.

Thanks for your suggestions Lukas!

flickr (external link)

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by Kolor-Pikker. (2 edits in all)

May 12, 2015 14:53 |  #13

Hi mate,

1. There is a reason LR constantly nags you to make a backup, but unlike Windows updates, it's a good idea to do as the dialog box says.

2. You know how most Adobe applications allow you to set a scratch disk? Move your LR catalog to a different drive, preferably an SSD. Speeds will be super fast.

3. Assuming the catalog is stored on solid state media and your computer is equipped with USB3 or Thunderbolt, it should be reasonably fast to transfer.

Also, never store your images with the catalog, maybe this is something that works for some people, but I would not recommend it. I manually copy images from my memory cards to a new folder that I name with a date and/or project description, which I then "add" to the catalog without moving the files. The raws and catalog backup are stored on external mass media, the main catalog is on a scratch disk, and Lightroom on boot drive; it's the most efficient method in my opinion.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

May 13, 2015 03:39 |  #14

This has not been my experience, and I've read loads of forum posts - some by people who I recognise as being experts - that agree with me. This is especially true if one optimises the catalog frequently.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

WebDevGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,472 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 13, 2015 07:44 |  #15

hollis_f wrote in post #17554449 (external link)
This has not been my experience, and I've read loads of forum posts - some by people who I recognise as being experts - that agree with me. This is especially true if one optimises the catalog frequently.

That's what I've read too. I heard this was true in the distant past, but not anymore.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,131 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ideas for when I run out of HD space (Lightroom)
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.