Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 May 2015 (Sunday) 21:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Magic Lantern Improving Canon dynamic range?

Canon_Shoe
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by Canon_Shoe.

May 03, 2015 21:38 |  #1

I was reading that their software can improve your DR around 0.5 stop. Also it was stated that by using this with their Dual ISO tweak, you can get over 14 stops DR! Has anyone tried this? Looks like most of the testing was done on the 5D3. Curious about the 6D

http://nofilmschool.co​m …ic-range-canon-dslrs-free (external link)

Facebook-- http://www.facebook.co​m/AndrewShoemakerPhoto​graphy (external link)
Website----http://andrewshoemaker​photography.com/ (external link)
Nikon D810, Nikon 14-24, Nikon 24-70 F/2.8 VR, Nikon 70-200 VR II

sponsored links
Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,695 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 04, 2015 16:42 |  #2

The small increase only applies to video. The dual ISO works on stills. I've been using ML for a couple of months now and love it on my T1i.

My 500PX (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,954 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

May 04, 2015 18:24 |  #3

Canon_Lover wrote in post #17543530 (external link)
The small increase only applies to video. The dual ISO works on stills. I've been using ML for a couple of months now and love it on my T1i.

I got exactly the opposite impression from reading that and the other linked information, that this 0.5 EV improvement was only in RAW for still images. Also that it is in addition to Dual ISO. The real issue though is that this still seems to be pretty much research in progress at the moment. From what I could gather for processed images gains were only of the order of 0.01 EV.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Nigi
119 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2006

May 07, 2015 01:28 |  #4

Dual iso is the way to go. Gains are huge. I am using ML on my 6d from 1 or 2 years and no problems, even if it's in beta still.

Canon_Shoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 07, 2015 13:18 as a reply to  @ Nigi's post |  #5

How do you use the CR2 converter program so you can edit them? That was my trouble......convertin​g them to DNG to edit

kevindar
Cream of the Crop
5,050 posts
Joined May 2007

May 10, 2015 01:12 |  #6

Here is my detailed write up, examples, and a long thread of discussion on FM on this topic
http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/13167​30/0 (external link)

Gear List
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1205576

Canon_Shoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 10, 2015 11:55 as a reply to  @ kevindar's post |  #7

Thanks! Still seems like bracketing and hand blending is a better option at this time

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 10, 2015 20:43 |  #8

Canon_Shoe wrote in post #17550691 (external link)
Thanks! Still seems like bracketing and hand blending is a better option at this time

Until the new generation of Canon sensors anyway (e.g. on the C300 Mk II, as well as rumoured to be on the 5D4 and 1DxII). These read every pixel at two different ISOs, instead of alternate lines, and give you a true increased DR with no resolution loss.

freestylee30
796 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Joined Jun 2007

May 11, 2015 16:29 |  #9

I guess this thread is as good as any for a few questions - hope you guys don't mind.

I've been hesitant to use ML because it required me to use Canon firmware 1.1.3 on my 6D. Seeing this thread reminded me that I should go and "check in" with ML, and I'm glad I did. I see they are now doing nightly builds for the 6D/1.1.6? So I have a couple questions - I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction or answer them for me.

I'm not really looking for a user guide for ML or dual-iso. I'm looking for real world experience and opinions!

When running ML, how easy is it to switch dual-iso on/off?

Could you just leave it on at say 100 / 1600 or is it better to switch on/off as needed?

How is the use of auto-iso affected by ML/dual-iso?

This one is more ML related - when installing ML will it remove all my current settings - stuff like button configurations and MFA values?

I guess that's it for now, thanks in advance!

Brandon | zenfolio (external link)| ♥ feedback ♥
Eternal Blue Forever Green
Image Editing OK

CANON 5DIV 50 f/1.8 85 f/1.8 135 f/2L 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
ROKINON 14 f/2.8 | TAMRON 15-30 f/2.8 VC 24-70 f/2.8 VC | SIGMA 35 f/1.4 Art |

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,954 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

May 12, 2015 07:15 |  #10

I've just installed ML on my 50D and will answer a couple of your questions fro you. When installing ML it is recommended that you return the camera to default condition, I guess so that all of the software configurations are in a known state. I would be reluctant to do otherwise, so yes you will lose all of you camera settings. I would be inclined to go through them all first and note them down so that you can go back and reset everything to your liking. To get the ML menu you press the Trash button, just don't do that in playback mode. There are two views for the ML menu. One is the usual arrangement of pages and entries on lines. The other is as a grid of little buttons, you get this view by pushing the menu button, but it is a sticky option. On the 50D this allows you to use the joystick to navigate, and it's push button option to select the item. I really wanted it for the Lock Exposure Value function in manual mode. Setting this is a matter of pushing the trash button and using the joystick button, as it will stay in the same location between uses, to switch it on and off, for when you actually want to change the exposure and not just the shutter/aperture combination in use. It would I expect work the same for Dual ISO (not available it seems on the 50D), but you would have use the alternative for the missing joystick on the 6D.

I hope that answers a couple of your questions. I have to say so far I like ML on my 50D, it does H264 video now too, although without audio.

Alan

My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

freestylee30
796 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Joined Jun 2007

May 12, 2015 09:50 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #11

Thanks Alan - appreciate you taking the time to answer some questions. I've read multiple people say that they think it is more likely you'll drop your camera than to have it killed by ML, but I've still been hesitant.

Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet, record my settings and test ML out. :eek: I think there is enough in ML to make it worth while. I don't honestly know why I am resisting it so much... I've changed out the firmware on routers, unlocked and changed the OS on phones, etc.

Brandon | zenfolio (external link)| ♥ feedback ♥
Eternal Blue Forever Green
Image Editing OK

CANON 5DIV 50 f/1.8 85 f/1.8 135 f/2L 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
ROKINON 14 f/2.8 | TAMRON 15-30 f/2.8 VC 24-70 f/2.8 VC | SIGMA 35 f/1.4 Art |

CheleA
351 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2014

May 12, 2015 10:57 |  #12

Freestylee,
I had to wait a long time after it was available for my camera model, 70D. My camera was not a candidate for the initial release, there seems to be two "versions" of the same firmware/hardware for my camera. ML was made available for my camera version just recently. Just to wet your appetite: exposure lock, dual ISO, RAW histogram, and many(MANY) features that I have no need (mostly because I have not taken the time to research:( ) are available in ML. The only one thing I don't like, but can understand why, is that ML software and settings are stored in the memory card -- you change the card, you change the settings you had set in ML. I have asked, and was ignored, where/how I can donate to the cause -- I would like to, at the very least, buy one of the guys a cup of coffee.

ejenner
Goldmember
3,701 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Nov 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by ejenner. (3 edits in all)

May 12, 2015 23:29 |  #13

I've never re-set my settings before installing ML, but in thinking about it, it would be a sensible idea. I'm not always sensible though and I have yet to get myself into trouble with ML that I couldn't get out of. I would think you could leave the MFA settings if you have a bunch of them though.

The multiple card thing can be annoying, fortunately with the 5DIII dual card slots it is less of a hassle to copy settings to each card.

DualISO - yes bracket for landscapes etc.., but you can't bracket a BIF taken at 1/1000s. It's easy to switch on and off, and I would switch off when you don't need it - you will lose some resolution. I leave mine on -2EV, so If' I'm shooting at ISO400 it gives me 100/400 and if I am at ISO6400 it gives me 1600/6400. This also gives about the best trade-off between DR and resolution.

All auto/metering settings will be based on your 'primary' or 'camera' ISO. In my case above it would be the higher ISO - so I am exposing for the shadows and trying to get as much highlight detail as possible. I would thus often have an EC of +1 to +2 when using dualISO in this manner. Of course you can easily set +2 instead of -2 in the dualISO menu and expose for the highlights instead - it just depends on what you are shooting.

Now if Canon does this in-camera for every line, that would be great. It might still not quite get to the Nikon DR at ISO100, but it will add almost 2 stops at ISO6400 from Canon's already better DR at these high ISOs. Personally I do find higher DR at higher ISOs more useful than at ISO100 where I would still need to bracket (I'd be shooting landscapes on a tripod anyway).

EDIT: Also that post you linked to is over 1 year old. I followed that thread and concluded that they were really not going to get much more than 0.2 DR increase if that in the end. However, I could be incorrect on that. It seems like that 0.5 value was optimistic and based on a particular method of determining DR with the tweak. OTOH, if someone more knowledgeable could confirm the 0.3-0.5 stop improvement and what settings to set in ML on the 5DIII and/or 7D I would be grateful.

It would almost be enough to make me want a 5DIV. Except I wouldn't have ML on it and for what I use dualISO for I don't mind the small (and hard to see even) resolution reduction.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

Rick ­ in ­ Ontario
134 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 13, 2015 04:21 as a reply to  @ CheleA's post |  #14

There is a donate button right at the bottom of the home page.

http://www.magiclanter​n.fm/ (external link)

sponsored links

4,259 views & 1 like for this thread
Magic Lantern Improving Canon dynamic range?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.