Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 09 May 2015 (Saturday) 11:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STM on Elan 7?

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

May 09, 2015 11:49 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

Has anyone used an STM lens (40, 24-105) on an Elan 7, or any film body for that matter? Does STM work OK on film bodies? I don't really need the STM, just looking for cheap glass. The 24-105 STM is just better glass than my 28-105, and it has IS.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

sponsored links
msowsun
"approx 8mm"
9,288 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

May 10, 2015 19:52 |  #2

Yes, STM lenses do work with older EOS film cameras. I tried my 40mm STM on my EOS 630 and it works just fine.

Mike Sowsun / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 100-400 II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

GeoKras1989
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

May 10, 2015 20:45 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Thanks. The only other mention of that I could find was in a KR review.

crbinson
614 posts
Joined Jul 2012

May 10, 2015 20:53 |  #4

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17551239 (external link)
Thanks. The only other mention of that I could find was in a KR review.

And that wasn't good as gospel for you?? :-)

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

GeoKras1989
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

May 10, 2015 21:50 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

crbinson wrote in post #17551243 (external link)
And that wasn't good as gospel for you?? :-)

Well, uhhh, to tell the truth, I did want to hear it from a reliable source.

Now I am kind of curious as to why this lens isn't available as a refurb. It was released like 9 months ago. I'd consider paying $300-400 for it. And I'd sell my 15-85 to get the cash. Net cost: $0, and I can use it on all my cameras - Elan 7, 60D, 6D.

GeoKras1989
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 03, 2015 18:49 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

msowsun wrote in post #17551199 (external link)
Yes, STM lenses do work with older EOS film cameras. I tried my 40mm STM on my EOS 630 and it works just fine.

Mike, I got my 24-105 STM today. You were absolutely correct; it works just fine on my Elan 7. The film isn't processed yet, but the focus seemed to work just fine. So far, I am generally impressed with this lens. If focuses a tiny bit slower than my 28-105, but it is hugely better wide-open at all focal lengths. I sold my 15-85 for the same price I paid for the STM, so the move cost me shipping and Paypal fees on one lens. Now I have a decent (certainly better) mid-zoom with IS that works on all my cameras. My G.A.S. is satisfied, temporarily... as usual.

koffee
25 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Jun 03, 2015 19:11 |  #7

I was looking for a 24-105mm and I found an F4L version that I've picked up, but while I was looking I found the STM version on canon price watch for $399.00 brand new.
The link is as follows:

http://www.canonpricew​atch.com …TM-price.html?streetprice (external link)

This was several days ago and I don't know if it's still available but you could look into it.

If you haven't used them for purchase you have to email Gordon and he will set up the supplier and you then would contact them to purchase.

Tomorrow I will be receiving my 24-105mm F4L lens "White" box USA warranty that I got for $637 on a three day shipping.

I'm thinking about one of these for my wife as she doesn't like the weight and at $399.00 that is were I think the lens should be at a maximum price.

Good luck in getting your gear together.

GeoKras1989
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 03, 2015 19:56 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

koffee wrote in post #17583104 (external link)
I was looking for a 24-105mm and I found an F4L version that I've picked up, but while I was looking I found the STM version on canon price watch for $399.00 brand new.
The link is as follows:

http://www.canonpricew​atch.com …TM-price.html?streetprice (external link)

This was several days ago and I don't know if it's still available but you could look into it.

If you haven't used them for purchase you have to email Gordon and he will set up the supplier and you then would contact them to purchase.

Tomorrow I will be receiving my 24-105mm F4L lens "White" box USA warranty that I got for $637 on a three day shipping.

I'm thinking about one of these for my wife as she doesn't like the weight and at $399.00 that is were I think the lens should be at a maximum price.

Good luck in getting your gear together.

I opted for the 24-105 STM version for several reasons. I don't use a zoom in this range, often. The IS on the STM version is better. The STM also exhibits less distortion at the wide end, where I will use it most. With this version, I lose LR and in-camera correction profiles, some (very small) bit of focus speed and gain some distortion and CA at the long end. And last, but certainly not least, I got it for $350, all-in. I co-incidentally sold my 15-85 for $350. Now I have a mid-zoom with IS that works on all my cameras: 60D, 6D, Elan 7.

My 10-second review of the 24-105 STM: Very sharp wide open at all apertures. It improves at f/8, but hardly needs it. Focus is DEAD-QUIET; the IS makes more noise; that is just weird, even my USM lenses make a little bit of sound. AI-Servo seems adequate for a lens I'd be shooting at f/5.6 in that mode. The worst feature, so far, is the pincushion distortion at the long end. I find it noticeable, and annoying. It is easily correctable by using the LR 24-105 f/4L as a base, and adjusting from there. I will make some presets at a few standard focal lengths.

koffee
25 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Jun 03, 2015 23:21 |  #9

Great to hear and I'm still considering picking one up for my wife as I've in reviews that the F4L can a little front heavy on a Rebel.
Thanks for the feed back as it seems that I haven't heard a lot of user reviews and yours seems to hit all the points of interest.

sponsored links

3,123 views & 0 likes for this thread
STM on Elan 7?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.