Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 09 May 2015 (Saturday) 10:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is LR6 any faster ?

Amamba
Goldmember
3,684 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

May 09, 2015 10:37 |  #1

I use LR4 (well, C1P for my Sony files, but LR4 for the thousands of still unprocessed Canon files I keep coming back to).

It's got a slow interface. A bit more bearable now that I upgraded my desktop, but still slow.

I know there are ways to speed it up, and played with some of them. My question is, though, is LR6 any faster on the same machine with same settings than LR4 ? LR5 by all accounts wasn't.

Also, does anyone know if there's an upgrade price for LR4 users ? (AFAIK they still offer a non-subscription version).

Any particular improvements in features that would make me want to upgrade ?

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

sponsored links
Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 09, 2015 11:23 |  #2

I haven't used it for much on my MacBook yet, but LR6 does feel like it is running far smoother for review/culling, compared to LR5, on my desktop system (i5 2500K at 3.3ghz and 16GB ram, still working off standard spinning disks.) and only some minor improvements for adjustments/brushes.

I really didn't notice any change between LR4 and 5 on my desktop rig, but LR5 didn't like my underpowered little MacBook all that much.

I would suggest grabbing the 30 day trial copy and test it out on your system.

Not sure if they're offering any upgrade to LR6 from LR4, but you can still order the standalone version. Adobe runs slightly different sites based on region, so can't say how hidden it is. (Not instantly straight forward to get to on the Canadian site if you're not actively looking for it, but not like you're jumping through hoop after hoop to get it.)

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

carronade
52 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 09, 2015 13:56 as a reply to  @ Luckless's post |  #3

I cannot tell you if it is faster but I upgraded from LR4 to LR6 via download from Adobe for £59.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,068 posts
Gallery: 552 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

May 09, 2015 18:14 |  #4

I'm running an old Dell Laptop, Celeron Core Duo 1.5Ghz 3GB RAM, 240GB HDD Vista Home 32Bit. I recently upgraded to a 240GB SSD and Win 7 Pro 64. I have been running LR 4 since the first Beta on this system. There is a bit of a speed advantage now I have LR and the catalogue files on the SSD compared to an external USB2 drive, although most of the images are still on the external USB drives. I'm now putting new images on the SSD to do the initial processing and then moving them to the external USB after that.

I have been running the LR6CC trial next to LR4.4 since a day or two after the release. Generally I am not finding it much faster, but it is far more stable. Where previously it would crash completely when overloaded with lots of local brush applications, it now just seems to go a bit mental, this is good because it allows me to close LR gracefully. It seems to take a little longer to fall over too when it does this. I have to say that even on my very poor system I think I prefer it to the old version. Still not sure if I will go with stand alone version or the CC route yet.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Amamba
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,684 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

May 10, 2015 10:57 |  #5

Thanks. I have no crash issues, just slow switching from Library to Develop.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

g-money
Goldmember
1,601 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 11, 2015 10:01 |  #6

Speed increases in LR6 are going to be seen the develop module mostly and only then if your graphic card GPU is being utilized. Some older cards don't meet minimun requirements. In lightroom look under preferences / performance There have been lot of issues with AMD cards. Some are solved with a driver update. Some like me are going to have to purchase a new graphics card. One that has a min 2GB Ram

Canon 6D X 2, Canon 5D, FUJI X100, Canon Rebel XT, Canon 24-70L VII, Canon 35L 1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Tokina 16-28 2.8, 580exII x2, Godox 850 X 2, 430ex

Website... [URL="http://www.gowen​sphotography.com"]Arkansas Wedding Photographerexternal link

rc9999
62 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 11, 2015 17:06 |  #7

I upgraded from LR 4 to LR6 just about a week ago. I'm using a late-2012 macbook pro and for me, LR 6 takes longer to start up the program, but after it starts up it seems to work a little faster than LR 4. As mentioned above, there is still the non-subscription version and you can upgrade for $79 USD.

Rob

NCHANT
Goldmember
3,011 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2012

May 13, 2015 00:05 |  #8

I'm actually finding LR6 a LOT slower than LR5! Running it on a 2014 MBPR with upgraded 2.8ghz i7 and 16gb ram. Should;t run slow on this machine at all :(

Might need to sort out my old catalogues though, do a nice big cleanup.

6D x 2 | TM SP 35mm ƒ1.4 | 50mm ƒ1.8 | 85mm ƒ1.8 | 24-105mm ƒ4L USM | 135mm ƒ2L | 200mm ƒ2.8L II | 17-40mm ƒ4L | Sy 24mm ƒ1.4 | Sy XP 14mm ƒ2.4 Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 13, 2015 00:16 |  #9

OK, I don't have LR 6, but I have read that one thing that can improve speed is to turn of your GPU processing in the Edit/Preferences. Have you checked that out?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

1,690 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is LR6 any faster ?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.