Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 12 May 2015 (Tuesday) 11:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First couple shoot - C&C appreciated

jefzor
788 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2013
Post edited over 5 years ago by jefzor. (2 edits in all)

May 12, 2015 11:08 |  #1

Hi,
I'm planning to start shooting weddings in the summer of '16, so I'm practising and portfolio building now. I've always been stronger on the candid shots than with posing (It's usually the other way around, right?), so I'm doing couple shoots first.
Here's the best of my first shoot.

Specific questions:
Light: I used the available light like I normally would. Is this still OK with his bald head? (he was happy with the photos, but I don't know if it could/should have been lit in another way)

Posing: This is probably what I need to practice most, I have almost zero experience posing people.

PS: I don't know if I should post here or in the portrait section. My focus will be on weddings, with as much candids and as little posing as possible.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

www.jefpauwels.be (external link)

sponsored links
jefzor
THREAD ­ STARTER
788 posts
Joined Jul 2013

May 12, 2015 11:08 |  #2

2 more

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

jefzor
THREAD ­ STARTER
788 posts
Joined Jul 2013

May 12, 2015 11:09 |  #3

And the last two.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,171 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006
Post edited over 5 years ago by gonzogolf.

May 12, 2015 11:23 |  #4

They generally look pretty good. The first shot needs to be cropped. The bottom half is just wsted space competing with the subjects. You have some great leading lines but too much is overkill.

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

May 12, 2015 18:56 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #5

Agreed. The line is nice, but a 16x9 crop would eliminate the bottom part that isn't necessary. The fourth one, her hair is not flattering up close. Just be aware of backgrounds and things like hair, etc.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

dmitrim
594 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jun 2006

May 12, 2015 19:46 |  #6

first 3 are really nice. It's all about experience and practice.
1. find good light
2. find good background
3. put your subjects there

learning to pose is an art. you can ask them to kiss or hug. That always work.

Facebook (external link)
www.dmitrimarkine.com (external link)

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2014

May 12, 2015 20:01 |  #7

First thing about posing
- look at her jaw line in #2 and #6 and his in #5
- can you see how strong and defining that is? - that is what you want to aim for
- watch the Peter Hurley video (It is all about the jaw) (https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=Qe3oJnFtA_k (external link))
- compare this to her jaw in #1

Look at his hand placement in #1 and #3
- can you see how placing the hand / arm in the small of a woman's lower back 'thickens' her in her most narrow spot
- you can't always avoid this but if you can it will add to her curves (which is attractive) as her back comes down into her waist and then goes out again to her backside (this is what you want to see)
- his hands while doing the same in #2 are slightly higher up and pulling in (thinning her) and you can then see you backside below this so you still see her shape

Lighting
- if possible you want the couple and their faces to not be competing with other 'bright' areas drawing your focus away
- you can use graduated and radial filters to 'fix' this in most of your pictures

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

crbinson
614 posts
Joined Jul 2012

May 12, 2015 20:39 |  #8

#1 - Crop off the bottom and right side
#6 - His pants are too long ;-)a

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Joined Nov 2014
Post edited over 5 years ago by wallstreetoneil.

May 12, 2015 20:46 |  #9

I think I disagree with the notion that in the first photo the bottom and right should be cut.

I like the textures in the stone railing, and with some Clarity it can be further brought out, and the right side can be reduced in impact using some graduated exposure filters and further some radial filter to make the couple pop more

I also used the Liquify tool in PS and Brush tool to reduce the shadow under her chin and give some slight shape to her jaw.

IMAGE: https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7789/17555358006_2f6bb5c956_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/sKiN​jj  (external link) engagement (external link) by Paul O'Neil (external link), on Flickr

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

agrandexpression
448 posts
Joined Apr 2015

May 12, 2015 22:05 |  #10

For your first shoot...it's very good!

As previously mentioned...her hair in the #4 is a bit disheveled for a tight shot. You start to see these things as you're shooting with more and more practice...but will still miss it now and again.

I personally don't see anything wrong with the shiny bald head. Most are that way. Unless the light is really diffused, you're going to get some shine on most bald heads in my experience.

As far as posing goes...you don't have alot of experience, and chances are your clients will have even less. I've always adhered to the idea of "directing" rather than straight-up posing. Give them some direction or vague and basic instructions...and let them work out exactly how to execute that - A "give her a nice tease...get as close as you can, but don't kiss her until i tell you" will look more natural and give some great expressions, rather than if you tell them "put your hand there, now turn your head, point your hip that way, turn your foot this way". That's my experience at least.

You're off to a nice start. Good luck!

golfecho
(I will regret that)
2,038 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 13, 2015 08:58 |  #11

Maybe its just me, but the guy seems to be a "leaner". Look at him in #2 and again in the hast shot. He leans forward into her and is not straight even if the picture is. This is distracting to me, and I would try and watch for this while posing.

Facebook (external link) or Website (external link)

the802
34 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2011

May 13, 2015 09:17 |  #12

Awesome first shoot! I really like 3 and 6, great lighting and expressions. I agree with the cropping on number 1, and with the hair comment on number 4, just be aware when you are shooting closer like that and see if you can have her run her hand through it or something, just to get it all a bit more in line! Overall you nailed it though!

Carl
www.carlheyerdahlphoto​graphy.com (external link)
Canon 5D mark lll, Canon 7D, Sigma 50mm f1.4 A, 24-105L, 70-200 f4 L, Rokinon 85 f1.4, Canon 430 EX ll

jefzor
THREAD ­ STARTER
788 posts
Joined Jul 2013

May 14, 2015 11:47 |  #13

Wow, thanks a lot for all the input, exactly what I needed! :)

gonzogolf wrote in post #17553508 (external link)
They generally look pretty good. The first shot needs to be cropped. The bottom half is just wsted space competing with the subjects. You have some great leading lines but too much is overkill.

I think next time I'll vary the environmental shots with tighter shots, so I have some of both.

elrey2375 wrote in post #17554030 (external link)
Agreed. The line is nice, but a 16x9 crop would eliminate the bottom part that isn't necessary. The fourth one, her hair is not flattering up close. Just be aware of backgrounds and things like hair, etc.

Good catch on the hair, definitely something I need to start being aware of.

dmitrim wrote in post #17554066 (external link)
first 3 are really nice. It's all about experience and practice.
1. find good light
2. find good background
3. put your subjects there

learning to pose is an art. you can ask them to kiss or hug. That always work.

Thanks for the pointers

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #17554090 (external link)
First thing about posing
- look at her jaw line in #2 and #6 and his in #5
- can you see how strong and defining that is? - that is what you want to aim for
- watch the Peter Hurley video (It is all about the jaw) (https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=Qe3oJnFtA_k (external link))
- compare this to her jaw in #1

Look at his hand placement in #1 and #3
- can you see how placing the hand / arm in the small of a woman's lower back 'thickens' her in her most narrow spot
- you can't always avoid this but if you can it will add to her curves (which is attractive) as her back comes down into her waist and then goes out again to her backside (this is what you want to see)
- his hands while doing the same in #2 are slightly higher up and pulling in (thinning her) and you can then see you backside below this so you still see her shape

Lighting
- if possible you want the couple and their faces to not be competing with other 'bright' areas drawing your focus away
- you can use graduated and radial filters to 'fix' this in most of your pictures

Great advice! (I still need some time to digest all this info, but it sure looks helpful)

crbinson wrote in post #17554142 (external link)
#1 - Crop off the bottom and right side
#6 - His pants are too long ;-)a

Nice catch on n°6, I'll try to be aware of clothing, too.

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #17554149 (external link)
I think I disagree with the notion that in the first photo the bottom and right should be cut.

I like the textures in the stone railing, and with some Clarity it can be further brought out, and the right side can be reduced in impact using some graduated exposure filters and further some radial filter to make the couple pop more

I also used the Liquify tool in PS and Brush tool to reduce the shadow under her chin and give some slight shape to her jaw.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/sKiN​jj  (external link) engagement (external link) by Paul O'Neil (external link), on Flickr

I'll see what I can do with the PP, maybe some kind of lens flare/haze on the right side could work?

agrandexpression wrote in post #17554220 (external link)
For your first shoot...it's very good!

As previously mentioned...her hair in the #4 is a bit disheveled for a tight shot. You start to see these things as you're shooting with more and more practice...but will still miss it now and again.

I personally don't see anything wrong with the shiny bald head. Most are that way. Unless the light is really diffused, you're going to get some shine on most bald heads in my experience.

As far as posing goes...you don't have alot of experience, and chances are your clients will have even less. I've always adhered to the idea of "directing" rather than straight-up posing. Give them some direction or vague and basic instructions...and let them work out exactly how to execute that - A "give her a nice tease...get as close as you can, but don't kiss her until i tell you" will look more natural and give some great expressions, rather than if you tell them "put your hand there, now turn your head, point your hip that way, turn your foot this way". That's my experience at least.

You're off to a nice start. Good luck!

Great, sounds like that's how I want to work, just giving general directions, and only correcting when they do something unflattering.

golfecho wrote in post #17554626 (external link)
Maybe its just me, but the guy seems to be a "leaner". Look at him in #2 and again in the hast shot. He leans forward into her and is not straight even if the picture is. This is distracting to me, and I would try and watch for this while posing.

OK, will do, maybe it helps if I turn the photos a few degrees?

the802 wrote in post #17554647 (external link)
Awesome first shoot! I really like 3 and 6, great lighting and expressions. I agree with the cropping on number 1, and with the hair comment on number 4, just be aware when you are shooting closer like that and see if you can have her run her hand through it or something, just to get it all a bit more in line! Overall you nailed it though!

Thank you!

sponsored links

2,365 views & 0 likes for this thread
First couple shoot - C&C appreciated
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.