Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2015 (Thursday) 07:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

OFFICIAL : 5DS and 5DS R Announced

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

May 12, 2015 22:33 |  #1216

mclaren777 wrote in post #17553881 (external link)
Bingo.

And terrible AF, noisy shutters, embarrassing battery life, etc.

I recently rented an A7ii and I was happy to send it back – it was almost a complete waste of money.

Very few of which actually matter to the architecture and landscape photographers, who are the ones most needing the extra DR in the first place and who, along with studio photographers, would otherwise have been prime candidates for the 5Ds.

Looks like it will be attractive only to studio photograhers with full control over their lighting and to those wildlife photographers who need cropability more than they need frame rate.

sponsored links
Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013

May 12, 2015 22:45 |  #1217

Bingo.

I recently rented an A7ii and I was happy to send it back – it was almost a complete waste of money.

+1 I had the same experience.

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Shadowblade.

May 12, 2015 23:01 |  #1218

Aswald wrote in post #17554270 (external link)
+1 I had the same experience.

If you're wanting something to shoot action, you're looking at the wrong camera. The A7 series owes much of its success to Canon non-action shooters needing better image quality but wanting to use certain elements of the Canon lens lineup not duplicated by other manufacturers.

For what it is, it does a great job. Most of the problems arise when you're using it for an unintended purpose (e.g. trying to shoot sports with an adapter and Canon lens). After all, you'd never criticise an IQ180 for having crap high-ISO performance, no AF and minimal frame rate, or a 1Dx for not having 36MP - it's not it's intended purpose.

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013

May 12, 2015 23:28 |  #1219

Shadowblade wrote in post #17554284 (external link)
If you're wanting something to shoot action, you're looking at the wrong camera. The A7 series owes much of its success to Canon non-action shooters needing better image quality but wanting to use certain elements of the Canon lens lineup not duplicated by other manufacturers.

For what it is, it does a great job. Most of the problems arise when you're using it for an unintended purpose (e.g. trying to shoot sports with an adapter and Canon lens). After all, you'd never criticise an IQ180 for having crap high-ISO performance, no AF and minimal frame rate, or a 1Dx for not having 36MP - it's not it's intended purpose.

You are right. I was considering the Sony to be my 2nd all purpose walkabout camera and I love the picture IQ and the emerging crop of lenses from Carl Zeiss.

I will definitely look at it again when the AF is quick enough for me.

I still get a good laugh when I see max. ISO1600 on a medium format camera. I know it's intended for studio and the pics are just awesome but for the money one pays for it.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
5,189 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2005

May 13, 2015 01:59 |  #1220

http://www.dpreview.co​m …TulipSunrise-FullSize.jpg (external link)

I do not care how he processed it, that may well be the shot that stops me buying a 5DsR. Even the top of the shot shows significant noise. Yes with more careful processing it would improve but we are seeing that the limits for shadow pulling is pretty low.

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.com (external link)

http://www.natureimmor​tal.com (external link)

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,776 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 13, 2015 04:33 |  #1221

jocau wrote in post #17553840 (external link)
But then you get lossy compression RAW files.

which means sweet FA for 95% of photographers

Bingo.

The A7S shutter is more silent then any canon eos dslr. What are you smoking :)

AF is brilliant. not as good as a 5d3/1dx but as good as a mid level DSLR

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

jocau
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2012

May 13, 2015 08:48 |  #1222

jonneymendoza wrote in post #17554469 (external link)
which means sweet FA for 95% of photographers

FA?

jonneymendoza wrote in post #17554469 (external link)
The A7S shutter is more silent then any canon eos dslr. What are you smoking :)

AF is brilliant. not as good as a 5d3/1dx but as good as a mid level DSLR

He isn't smoking anything. You should read what he said. He rented an A7II and it doesn't have the silent shutter option.

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined May 2012

May 13, 2015 09:06 |  #1223

I actually think it's more fundamental than that.

The "silent shutter" modes on my 5D3 and 6D were far quieter than the a7II probably because they have more mass and material. The sound doesn't pass through their bodies like it does on the smaller/lighter Sony.

Regardless, I felt terrible every time I fired the shutter during the ceremony. It was far more noticeable than on my Canon cameras.

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canon (external link)
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitude (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,968 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by David Arbogast.

May 13, 2015 12:07 |  #1224

Neilyb wrote in post #17554406 (external link)
http://www.dpreview.co​m …TulipSunrise-FullSize.jpg (external link)

I do not care how he processed it, that may well be the shot that stops me buying a 5DsR. Even the top of the shot shows significant noise. Yes with more careful processing it would improve but we are seeing that the limits for shadow pulling is pretty low.

I wasn't expecting awesome DR from Canon (I'm in a "believe it when I see it" frame of mind), but I genuinely hoped for better shadow noise. I will pass as well. Will likely be selling my 5D III and going with all Sony a7 (or rumored a9) cameras going forward.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, FE 50mm ZA, Batis 85mm

sploo
premature adulation
2,400 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

May 13, 2015 14:05 |  #1225

jocau wrote in post #17554620 (external link)
FA?

Censored for a family audience: Fornicate (with only four letters) All.

I.e. nothing, nada, zip, nowt.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
5,189 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2005

May 13, 2015 14:29 as a reply to  @ David Arbogast's post |  #1226

Hoping for an A7r2 announcement, but would like lossless RAW...

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.com (external link)

http://www.natureimmor​tal.com (external link)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 13, 2015 18:33 |  #1227

Fine if you can control the lighting (e.g. studio). Pretty bad if you can't (architecture and landscape).

Might be worth getting just for wildlife photography, though - crop-sensor density in a full-frame sensor is a huge thing. And it's not like there's any overlap between wildlife gear (supertele lenses, 200-400) and landscape gear, so it's easy to run one system for wildlife and another (Sony or Nikon) for landscapes.

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,776 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 14, 2015 03:49 |  #1228

jocau wrote in post #17554620 (external link)
FA?

He isn't smoking anything. You should read what he said. He rented an A7II and it doesn't have the silent shutter option.

but i mentioned the a7s mate and thats more silent then a dslr

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

jocau
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2012

May 14, 2015 09:02 |  #1229

jonneymendoza wrote in post #17555814 (external link)
but i mentioned the a7s mate and thats more silent then a dslr

Yes, but that doesn't change their experience with an A7 series camera. They rented the A7II, not the A7S. Also, the A7S is currently the only A7 camera which has the silent shutter option. That's one out of 4 models, so it shouldn't be considered as a strong point of the A7 series cameras, but rather as a strong point of the A7S.

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

angelmeow
34 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Jun 03, 2015 01:31 |  #1230

davidfarina wrote in post #17503478 (external link)
Exactly. I know landscape is very critical about sharpness but like you say, i rather have one image which is not sharp fully over but has something which is unique.

Look at this shot from cyprus lst year. I mean technically it is very bad. I had to shoot f2.8 which is way to low to provide a DOF which covers the whole scene. Then there was a light from the side which i had to copy out and which had rendered a horrible flare across the sky, overall the image doesnt look so sharp, but to me its one of my best pictures because of the subject and the composition

Agree that it's not the best photo but the composition really is amazing

Feedback-me0w_mix (external link)
Canon 650D
|50mm 1.8|18-55 3.5|Tokina 11-16 2.8|

sponsored links

294,568 views & 241 likes for this thread
OFFICIAL : 5DS and 5DS R Announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.