Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family 
Thread started 05 Dec 2013 (Thursday) 00:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First senior shoots - C&C welcome!

jordyquint
29 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 05, 2013 00:07 |  #1

I did my sisters senior portraits (all three of them!) - we're quints - last May and want to know what you think of them. My first senior shoot... More of a pet photographer, but I think it went well. :) At this point, I think I was only seriously shooting for about a year.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8348/8180572844_09cc1455f0.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jordyquint/8180​572844  (external link)

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8339/8180544316_a181c12a6e.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jordyquint/8180​544316  (external link)

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8484/8180518996_d3526c1f7d.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jordyquint/8180​518996  (external link)

Gear: Canon t3i, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Tamron 70-300 f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD
***Canon 70D soon***

sponsored links
BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 05, 2013 15:37 |  #2

The crop on 1 looks a little too tight to me for some reason, but other than that, I think you a fine job!
I really like 3, it made me look at it for a little while (that's a good thing ;) )

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

georgebowman
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

May 13, 2015 07:38 |  #3

Great job on image #3; terrific composition. It would be great for the nature enthusiast. Image #1 is okay as well. I do like the tight crop but that's just my personal preference. On image #2 I don't recommend a pose where a larger senior is slouched and posed straight on. It's not very flattering. You should avoid shooting heavier people straight on; it tends not to be very flattering for even slender seniors. A very slight turn of the hips and even looking slightly over the shoulder can creates a more natural and flattering look. It looks like you have a great start at taking senior pictures. To be honest with you, I haven't shot seniors in about 20 years so perhaps there are others on the forum that could provide better advice. You may wish to search the forum for posing guides as well. Good luck and have fun!

My Gear: 7d, XTi, 17-55f2.8 EF-S, 70-200f4L, 28-135 Kit lens, 2-580EXii

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2014

May 13, 2015 11:59 |  #4

I think #1 would do with a slightly wider crop because as it is, it makes her head look a tiny bit too large in proportion. I also think you could take the reds down and the magentas down slightly. If you wanted to give the image slightly more punch you decrease the blacks and increase the whites as well. Here is my 30 second edit.

#2 does not flatter her and she looks uncomfortable with her left hand
- if you zoom in, unfortunately from a tighter crop potential, the image isn't that sharp - unless you have done this from an editing perspective
- if you do crop it much tighter and took the reds way down in her face I believe it would be much more flattering

I like #3

If you have an issue with the edit I will remove it.

IMAGE: https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7795/17412828598_77627fbf5b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/swHi​hJ  (external link) senior (external link) by Paul O'Neil (external link), on Flickr

#2 does not flatter her and she looks uncomfortable with her left hand
- do think if you cropped it much tighter and took the reds way down in her face it would be much more flattering

I like #3

If you have an issue with the edit I will remove it.

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

zyndurai
808 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2009

May 19, 2015 00:08 |  #5

Agree with this.

georgebowman wrote in post #17554558 (external link)
Great job on image #3; terrific composition. It would be great for the nature enthusiast. Image #1 is okay as well. I do like the tight crop but that's just my personal preference. On image #2 I don't recommend a pose where a larger senior is slouched and posed straight on. It's not very flattering. You should avoid shooting heavier people straight on; it tends not to be very flattering for even slender seniors. A very slight turn of the hips and even looking slightly over the shoulder can creates a more natural and flattering look. It looks like you have a great start at taking senior pictures. To be honest with you, I haven't shot seniors in about 20 years so perhaps there are others on the forum that could provide better advice. You may wish to search the forum for posing guides as well. Good luck and have fun!

My flickr (external link)

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

May 19, 2015 11:19 |  #6

Posing subjects with the hands near the face, as in each of these shots, can present problems. Often, the hand is SUCH a different color (or even texture!) than the face, it becomes a visual distraction. Or, the subject looks uncomfortable or unnatural with the hand up like that. I don't think the hand pose was the best choice here for your young and beautiful subjects.

Having said that, I loved the colors in the first shot, the shallow depth of field, but would have cropped a bit looser maybe and angled her shoulders a bit and kept the hands out of it. I love her connection with her eyes to the camera and her natural expression. Awesome.

The second shot: I loved the pose (not the hands up though) because it was suitable for a young girl, casual and youthful. Watch posture on your subjects, you will constantly have to remind them to straighten their backs. Angling her entire body slightly and bringing her face back to the camera would be flattering too, rather than straight on. I like your slightly higher camera angle on that shot as well, and that you had some foreground blur, but the background scene was a bit messy. Still it was suitable for a young girl. AND you didn't get glass glare!!!

The third shot: This was the most successful in terms of the hands up, but still think hands away from face would have been better. STill, you stair stepped the fingers, kept the hand well back from her face, and framed her face by having her other hand touch her elbow, resulting in a much more natural "hands up" pose. I love the framing with the blurred leaves and the composition to the right of the frame. If you have room to crop more, I'd probably do that, keeping that same composition. Fewer leaves, more pretty sister.

You did well, I hope your sisters are happy with them! And you've only been shooting for a year? Great job!

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

tsilva
53 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 19, 2015 16:10 |  #7

since the op is from dec 2013. he has probably moved on :-)

longbeachgary
Redwood Original
583 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2003

May 22, 2015 09:33 |  #8

FWIW - I love #1. No distractions just a pretty girl. Great job on this one.

#2 is a little odd in the pose.

I really dislike the peek-a-boo style of #3 but I know it's a popular format around here. To me it's distracting and does nothing for the subject.

Canon 1DX, Canon 1D Mark iii, 20 F2.8, 100 F2.0, 200L F2.8, 300L F4, 400L 5.6, 17-40 F4, 24-70 F2.8L, 70-200 F2.8L, 70-200 F4 IS, and the 2nd 3rd party lens I've ever owned - Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 Sport.

sponsored links

1,613 views & 0 likes for this thread
First senior shoots - C&C welcome!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.