Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 10 May 2015 (Sunday) 16:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need to buy a new laptop, shall i buy a macbook

ekfaysal
418 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

May 10, 2015 16:59 |  #1

i been using an old Dell studio since 2009 . Now feels like this is the time to switch it.
Approximately $1300 of the budget in hands, What would you recommend?
Laptop would be used for Browsing/ some word processing stuff, plenty of Photoshop and lightroom stuff. sometime adobe premier pro.
never used MAC OS , i like Macbook , Just asking if i should go for it or not. Would it be fast enough to work with adobe software.
switching from windows to MacOS would be a little tough , but i'm up for the experience. Do suggest me guys, Shall i go for it , or buy some other machine in the price.

My INSTAGRAM (external link)

Facebook page (external link)

sponsored links
dinanm3atl
Goldmember
3,120 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 10, 2015 17:57 |  #2

Battery life alone is worth it. Look for a Mid 2012 or so MacBook Pro Retina. Easily in budget. Might even go newer.

I have a LOT of PCs and finally switched my mobile setup to a MBP. It doesn't really do anything better it's just a bit
more streamlined. I spend a lot of time at racetracks(40ish weekends a year) and then plane rides. On a plane
getting 8+ hours of editing done versus the PC(Last was Dell XPS) that would get 45min or so. Definitely worth it.

Halston - MotorSports Photographer
1Dx - 1Dx - A7r - 400L f/2.8 - 70-200L f/2.8 - 24-105L f/4 - 17-40L f/4 - 50 f/1.4 - 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye - 1.4x TC - 2x TC
Photography Site (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,520 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

May 12, 2015 01:27 |  #3

As a former (technically current since I still have two Macs) "Mac guy", I say go with a Windows system. The price difference isn't worth it imo, especially since you can easily upgrade most Windows based machines and that's pretty much impossible (aside from memory) on a Mac.

I had never heard the above argument on battery life, but even if that is true these days it's sort of a non-issue imo. There are so many products out there to extend battery life, most of them very inexpensive. You could even just get a spare battery or two to keep with you... heck, I had one for my Macbook until the main battery crapped out on me... and now so has the backup I had :rolleyes:

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

ShotByTom
Goldmember
2,997 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Aug 2005

May 12, 2015 07:04 |  #4

Do it! You will absolutely LOVE Mac OS, it is SO much better than Windows, especially windows 8. I switched to Mac 2 years ago and have been extremely happy with all of my computers...Retina iMac, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro and several iPads. MacBook laptops are no different than windows laptops as far as upgrades go.

Gear
Website (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,520 posts
Joined Oct 2012

May 12, 2015 10:19 |  #5

ShotByTom wrote in post #17553181 (external link)
Do it! You will absolutely LOVE Mac OS, it is SO much better than Windows, especially windows 8. I switched to Mac 2 years ago and have been extremely happy with all of my computers...Retina iMac, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro and several iPads. MacBook laptops are no different than windows laptops as far as upgrades go.

This of course depends on what you buy, but there are a lot of options out there which allow for dedicated graphics and other upgradable components. Also, for the $1300 basic spec macbook you really don't get a lot for your money, going the Windows route you can get a much higher spec system for the same cost or less.

To each their own, but unless Apple steps up their game I won't be a customer anymore and I was an Apple fanboy for 10+ years.

If you insist on a Mac tough, I would get a used Macbook Pro to get the best bang for your buck.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

May 12, 2015 13:02 |  #6

Take a look at the specs you would be getting for a Mac in your price range and then do the same for a Windows based machine. I for one love windows, ok not so much 8 but I have learned to work with it. In my 9-5 industry the programs needed are not offered for mac so it was never really an option. Battery life is not so much of an issue, I have a new Lenovo laptop 15" that gets amazing battery life.

Take all this for what it is as I am 100% anti apple anything.

bikfoto
Alexander the Wannabe
422 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 13, 2015 15:53 |  #7

I've been a die hard Windows fan, especially working in IT and managing 5000 windows systems on a daily basis. My wife has been using iMAC and MBAir for some time. Finally, I decided to give MBP a try. I purchased a $2,500 top of the line MacBook Pro 15" model in October of 2014, and has never looked back. I know it doesn't matter, but it actually does: the build quality. Obviously your laptop won't be any faster. However, after using an i7 maxed-out lenovo laptop it still felt plasticky. The screen tilting and the keyboard and the touchpad were all great. However, they just didn't feel anything close to what a MacBook Pro feels like. Finally, the screen resolution on the Retina model is great. There is not a single feature that I dislike. Being an IT guy, I get to use many different toys: from Lenovos, to HP's, to Dell's. However, I now carry my MBP to the meetings as well instead of my work-provided 13" XPS. In addition, it serves as my desktop replacement for all of my photography needs.

I'd suggest one thing: go to the apple store and just play with a MBP. See how it feels and how you like it. I've seen them on sale sometimes for $1600. Adding another $300 from an already expensive budget $1300 for a laptop that will serve you at least 4-5 years is not a lot if you look at it.

My recommendation is to wait for the sales and get the Apple. They also have refurbished models on sale at Apple.com, which now come with the standard 1-year warranty.

bikfoto (external link)
Need a WEBSITE? (external link)
Gear & Feedback
flickr (external link)

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

May 13, 2015 15:57 |  #8

No.

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 13, 2015 19:35 |  #9

Have you used OSX for any length of time? Did it bug or annoy you in any way?
Do you greatly prefer OSX, or Windows, or do you have no strong preference for one over the other?
Is the system you're looking at better suited to the task you want to do on it compared to other devices you can find in a similar or lesser price range?

Do keep in mind that the all metal bodies found on many laptops these days are VERY cold and annoying to use "out in the field". So something to consider if you're possibly going to use this system somewhere that will be colder than a proper office space.

You can find cheaper laptops with similar battery life and processing power, but you'll spend more time shifting through reports and reviews.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,201 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 13, 2015 19:52 |  #10

I used Windows exclusively from 3.0 to Vista on a number of machines from home built desktops to high end laptops. It was always a pain and required constant tweaking, updating and configuring to keep running smoothly. Out of frustration I finally turned to Apple and let me say that there is really something to having the hardware and software proprietary to one house. All I have to do now is turn it on and... it works. No fuss. Despite the higher entry cost I'm getting much longer use from my Apple products. My oldest machine is a 2009 iMac and it still works perfectly. Highly recommended.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

May 13, 2015 22:35 |  #11

Another vote for Mac. Build quality, screen, etc., has all been said. Above all, it just works. Windows was fraught with crap and at the worst times.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

quickben
Fairy Gapped
1,511 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2004
Post edited over 4 years ago by quickben.

May 15, 2015 03:18 |  #12

It boils down to the operating system, really. If you've been a Windows user for most of your life, you'll probably hate 8.1 at first but the familiarity will soon come back. I actually don't mind it at all. I just don't use the tiles that much. Plus, you'll get a higher spec machine for the money.

I have very little experience with OSX (although I use an iPhone 6 and my wife has an iPad Air 2), what little I have was from playing around with an iMac (a fairly recent one, I think) for a couple of weeks. To be blunt, I didn't like it. It jarred too much. Almost like it thought I was too dumb to be allowed to move files around manually of even see where on the hd they were kept.

I suppose the ubiquitous phrase "They just work" (usually said incredibly smugly by a cretin with a "hairstyle" munching on kale and quinoa ...) comes from the fact they dont let you do much that would do them any harm.

But that's just my jaded, windows biased opinion.

They do look lovely, mind.

Gary.

Fighting the war against the unnecessary use of the Book Worthy Smiley
My name is Gary, not Ben.
6D 24-70/2.8VC 85/1.8

3rdFriday
71 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Sep 2010

May 15, 2015 04:36 |  #13

Highly recommended, made the jump to the first rMBP in 2012 - more stable and you choose when and what to update. Wait for the one you want from the refurbished site is what I would do/will do on my next purchase. And yes, you can do it all from a rMBP - PERIOD.

1D X II ~ w/RRS base plate ~ 300 f/2.8L IS w/RRS lens plate ~ 200 f/1.8L w/RRS foot plate ~ 200 f/2.0L IS w/RRS foot plate ~ 24-70 f/2.8L II ~ 70-200 f/2.8L IS II ~ 580EX II ~ Gitzo GM5561T ~ RRS MH-02 Pro
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/808_10s_photos/ (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 15, 2015 08:32 |  #14

3rdFriday wrote in post #17557167 (external link)
Highly recommended, made the jump to the first rMBP in 2012 - more stable and you choose when and what to update. Wait for the one you want from the refurbished site is what I would do/will do on my next purchase. And yes, you can do it all from a rMBP - PERIOD.

Having made extensive use of both Windows and Macs in a development environment, I have to say that neither is really more stable than the other, and you can update either one as you please.

The screens aren't any better than any other decent system, and you do need to calibrate the screen for accurate colour, despite what many I've seen suggesting online.

Most of the problems I've seen with Windows stability isn't due to windows itself, but due to the junk that people install along side it. If you aren't careful and let junk software creep onto your mac, then it is going to have issues as well. OSX also loves to let programs randomly hang and become non responsive when there is tons of ram and processing power left. My system likes to show off the beachball at random when I'm opening a new terminal window, and using less than half my ram and processor capacity.

Pretty much the only thing that I really love about my MacBook (A mid 2012 non-retina 13") that I haven't been able to find on a machine from another vendor is the touch pad.

(Randomly, what I would love in an upgrade system to my current one is modern hardware in the older style cases. The slightly thicker non-retina cases, with more useful ports on the side, room for a larger longer lasting battery, and space for additional drives... That would make a sweet bit of portable hardware.)

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,520 posts
Joined Oct 2012

May 15, 2015 10:22 |  #15

quickben wrote in post #17557143 (external link)
It boils down to the operating system, really. If you've been a Windows user for most of your life, you'll probably hate 8.1 at first but the familiarity will soon come back. I actually don't mind it at all. I just don't use the tiles that much. Plus, you'll get a higher spec machine for the money.

I have very little experience with OSX (although I use an iPhone 6 and my wife has an iPad Air 2), what little I have was from playing around with an iMac (a fairly recent one, I think) for a couple of weeks. To be blunt, I didn't like it. It jarred too much. Almost like it thought I was too dumb to be allowed to move files around manually of even see where on the hd they were kept.

I suppose the ubiquitous phrase "They just work" (usually said incredibly smugly by a cretin with a "hairstyle" munching on kale and quinoa ...) comes from the fact they dont let you do much that would do them any harm.

But that's just my jaded, windows biased opinion.

They do look lovely, mind.

Gary.

I forgot to comment on the newest OSX in my post... I absolutely hate the changes they made with Yosemite. As you said, they really did make it incredibly frustrating to try finding and moving files. To not have all folders available through finder drop down menus anymore is seriously irritating, it's enough to make me feel totally turned away by OSX at this point now that I've been using my PC more.

sponsored links

3,976 views & 3 likes for this thread
Need to buy a new laptop, shall i buy a macbook
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.