Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 14 May 2015 (Thursday) 20:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Storm's a Brewin'

beavens
133 posts
Joined May 2015

May 14, 2015 20:23 |  #1

C&C welcome!

Jeff

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,401 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

May 15, 2015 07:50 |  #2

No major complaints. Your horizon comes close to splitting the image in half, which is a compositional no-no. They look like fair weather cumulus clouds. So I don't think there was a storm anywhere nearby.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

rc9999
62 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 15, 2015 11:02 |  #3

joedlh wrote in post #17557293 (external link)
They look like fair weather cumulus clouds. So I don't think there was a storm anywhere nearby.

Not horrible looking storm clouds, but it looks to me like there might be some rain on the other side of the mountains.

Rob

beavens
THREAD ­ STARTER
133 posts
Joined May 2015

May 16, 2015 21:37 |  #4

joedlh wrote in post #17557293 (external link)
No major complaints. Your horizon comes close to splitting the image in half, which is a compositional no-no. They look like fair weather cumulus clouds. So I don't think there was a storm anywhere nearby.

No kidding - I totally missed that!

Updated version (missing a fence as well).

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

dodgyexposure
Goldmember
2,874 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2012

May 17, 2015 23:47 |  #5

When I opened the thread, my immediate thought was that you should lose the fence - I like your subsequent crop.

Cheers, Damien

kbColorado
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2010

May 18, 2015 09:33 |  #6

Yes, much better crop. There was too much foreground that did not add anything to the composition.

Paul
deep greens and blues are the colors I choose ...

beavens
THREAD ­ STARTER
133 posts
Joined May 2015

May 18, 2015 09:49 |  #7

dodgyexposure wrote in post #17560714 (external link)
When I opened the thread, my immediate thought was that you should lose the fence - I like your subsequent crop.

Thanks Damien! It seems that the fence is pretty polarizing - I tend to be okay with certain manmade intrusions, but that is certainly not the case with everyone.

kbColorado wrote in post #17561118 (external link)
Yes, much better crop. There was too much foreground that did not add anything to the composition.

Thanks - true that. And I completely missed on the static, centered horizon. This landscape stuff is Greek to me. :D

Jeff

ejenner
Goldmember
3,867 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Joined Nov 2011
Post edited over 6 years ago by ejenner.

May 26, 2015 23:25 |  #8

Apart from the fence I like the first crop better. I find the second more static because lessening of the impact of the diagonal.

The clouds seem over-done though and make the image look a bit heavy which is only made worse with the crop. The dark at the bottom of the original balances the clouds a bit at least.

I would just ignore the 'no-no's' of composition and compose what looks right to you. If of course the other crop does look better to you, then it is one you really should have considered and perhaps that is the lesson here - play with the crop, both in-camera and afterwards and see what looks best to you.

One good thing is the position of the clouds relative to the peaks. I don't know if you waited for this clouds pattern, but it works pretty well IMO.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, 35 f2 IS, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

planet5D
251 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2012

May 27, 2015 07:28 |  #9

Have to agree with much of what ejenner said.

the thing about the fence to me is that it reinforces the diagonal lines going on here.

tho I also tend to think there are too many clouds and the horizon is too close to center (a bit)... maybe try cropping just to the left of the peak that is on the right - just where the range is lowest keeping the same ratios of your frame (starting at the bottom left so you're cropping out the right and top). The stuff on the right isn't really adding to the image but I do like the fence here.

Light L16: http://lightRumors.co
the premier community for Light L16 owners

sponsored links

1,836 views & 0 likes for this thread
Storm's a Brewin'
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.