Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 10 May 2015 (Sunday) 16:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need to buy a new laptop, shall i buy a macbook

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,270 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 15, 2015 11:12 |  #16

Also, when considering Windows vs OS X don't be fooled by the 'higher spec' for the money argument you'll predictably come across. OS X is far more optimized to run on the specific hardware in Apple products than Windows is for the mix and match hardware being put into Windows machines. When you buy a car you don't just look at the specs of the engine. Horsepower doesn't mean more efficient or efficient at all for that matter.

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

sponsored links
EnglishBob
555 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2004

May 15, 2015 11:19 |  #17

The biggest thing that would stop me switching systems is the same thing that would stop me switching from Canon to Nikon or Fuji.... my gear. In the same way I have a large investment in Canon Glass, I have thousands of dollars worth of software that will only run on my PC.... I know you can use an emulator, but somethings just still don't work right.

Consider all the software you use on your PC, and how much it will cost to replace it on a MAC.

Gallery (external link) MyGear (external link) About Me (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

May 15, 2015 11:25 |  #18

EnglishBob wrote in post #17557526 (external link)
The biggest thing that would stop me switching systems is the same thing that would stop me switching from Canon to Nikon or Fuji.... my gear. In the same way I have a large investment in Canon Glass, I have thousands of dollars worth of software that will only run on my PC.... I know you can use an emulator, but somethings just still don't work right.

Consider all the software you use on your PC, and how much it will cost to replace it on a MAC.

The big reason I am so tied into Windows. For many years the programs I use every day were not offered for Mac. Now a few of them are but they do not run the same on a Mac as they do on Windows. I also do not like proprietary anything. I like options and lots of them.

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,270 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 15, 2015 11:49 |  #19

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #17557536 (external link)
The big reason I am so tied into Windows. For many years the programs I use every day were not offered for Mac. Now a few of them are but they do not run the same on a Mac as they do on Windows. I also do not like proprietary anything. I like options and lots of them.

But you are talking about operating systems and programs which are, by their very nature, proprietary. If we follow the logic of your argument you should be using Linux. It is more robust, flexible and scaleable than any other OS around. The point here is that when considering an OS there is a certain amount of give and take so one has to make choices. My choice is to have more reliability, less hassle and infinitely better security among others. My entry cost is higher but likely the same or lower in the long run because require less frequent hardware upgrades. If I am more 'restricted' as my Windows users claim I invite those restrictions because the end result is a more efficient process overall. Having every option available integrated into something is never the best solution.

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,583 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

May 15, 2015 12:17 |  #20

nqjudo wrote in post #17557516 (external link)
Also, when considering Windows vs OS X don't be fooled by the 'higher spec' for the money argument you'll predictably come across. OS X is far more optimized to run on the specific hardware in Apple products than Windows is for the mix and match hardware being put into Windows machines. When you buy a car you don't just look at the specs of the engine. Horsepower doesn't mean more efficient or efficient at all for that matter.

In my experience this is simply not true.

There's a very noticeable difference in how fast my PC operates compared to my Mac and it cost me less than half what my Mac cost.

OSX isn't any more efficient, it's just easier to set up and use (which is great, I'm not knocking it), if you know how to set up Windows it's just as efficient and fast(er).

The issue people have with PCs like what you just described is that they don't know how to properly update or install the drivers for the various bits of hardware in their systems. Macs OS does all that for you, on the PC it's slightly more complicated, imo much to the same degree that driving a semi-automatic car is slightly more complicated than just keeping it in auto, if you want to stick to the car analogy ;)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

May 15, 2015 12:33 |  #21

nqjudo wrote in post #17557567 (external link)
But you are talking about operating systems and programs which are, by their very nature, proprietary. If we follow the logic of your argument you should be using Linux. It is more robust, flexible and scaleable than any other OS around. The point here is that when considering an OS there is a certain amount of give and take so one has to make choices. My choice is to have more reliability, less hassle and infinitely better security among others. My entry cost is higher but likely the same or lower in the long run because require less frequent hardware upgrades. If I am more 'restricted' as my Windows users claim I invite those restrictions because the end result is a more efficient process overall. Having every option available integrated into something is never the best solution.

Reliability in my opinion is not a valid argument at least not in my case, every windows based desktop or laptop that I have owned (minus the $200 tower I picked up) has had no issues with reliability. Security is another thing I have not had issues with using Windows, I guess I am just careful where I visit and what I open. I have not ran any sort of security programs in the last 10 years maybe even more. I also dont understand the hassle argument. My step daughter is an avid Apple fan girl and I just don't understand it. I have tried Imacs before, heck I use my father in laws when he cant figure something out. Someone at the Apple store sold him a top of the line Imac so that he could edit his vacation photos in Iphoto saying if your doing any "photo editing" you gotta have this one" of course I could not talk him out of it because someone said it was the best and it will .... well just work. But his emails and youtube look nice lol. Not that thats Apples fault the salesman could see him coming a mile away.

My big thing is I don't see all the advantages that people claim with Apple products. But I am also 30 and have been using windows machines since I can remember and am fairly techy

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,270 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 15, 2015 12:36 |  #22

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17557604 (external link)
In my experience this is simply not true.

There's a very noticeable difference in how fast my PC operates compared to my Mac and it cost me less than half what my Mac cost.

OSX isn't any more efficient, it's just easier to set up and use (which is great, I'm not knocking it), if you know how to set up Windows it's just as efficient and fast(er).

The issue people have with PCs like what you just described is that they don't know how to properly update or install the drivers for the various bits of hardware in their systems. Macs OS does all that for you, on the PC it's slightly more complicated, imo much to the same degree that driving a semi-automatic car is slightly more complicated than just keeping it in auto, if you want to stick to the car analogy ;)

You are very right and very wrong I guess. I think what it boils down to, again continuing with car analogies, is the same reason why dealerships have different models; different clients have different wants, needs and perceptions as to how much they want to tinker with something. Likewise, there is no shortage of benchmarks that shows OS X running faster or slower than windows but it really depends on the application and the specific machine. My subjective opinion is that the latest CC suite runs faster on my Mac than on my friend's Win8 machine which enjoys higher specs by far. The great thing about it is we have a choice and no one is forcing us to buy anything. My neighbour has a Porsche Turbo S. He tinkers and messes with it incessantly but hardly ever drives it. I jump in my Toyota and go. I guess you might say we are both equally well served and that our mileage does in fact vary ;-)a

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,270 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 15, 2015 12:51 |  #23

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #17557638 (external link)
Reliability in my opinion is not a valid argument at least not in my case, every windows based desktop or laptop that I have owned (minus the $200 tower I picked up) has had no issues with reliability. Security is another thing I have not had issues with using Windows, I guess I am just careful where I visit and what I open. I have not ran any sort of security programs in the last 10 years maybe even more. I also dont understand the hassle argument. My step daughter is an avid Apple fan girl and I just don't understand it. I have tried Imacs before, heck I use my father in laws when he cant figure something out. Someone at the Apple store sold him a top of the line Imac so that he could edit his vacation photos in Iphoto saying if your doing any "photo editing" you gotta have this one" of course I could not talk him out of it because someone said it was the best and it will .... well just work. But his emails and youtube look nice lol. Not that thats Apples fault the salesman could see him coming a mile away.

My big thing is I don't see all the advantages that people claim with Apple products. But I am also 30 and have been using windows machines since I can remember and am fairly techy

I certainly hear your argument and of course there is no right or wrong. It is all subjective. That is a shame about your father-in-law though. You would think he would offer you a modicum of respect instead of completely dismissing you in favour of a retail salesperson. It sure can make you wonder.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

May 15, 2015 12:56 as a reply to  @ Trvlr323's post |  #24

Yup if someone he thinks has knowledge in an area (salespeople in his case, he comes from the era of relying on salespeople's knowledge) tells him something it becomes the only point of reason. I just got done doing a clean wipe of my brothers 4 month old windows machine, he complained of all sorts of issues. Before starting the wipe I did some poking around, and judging by his web browser history its no wonder the machine quite working in 4 months :eek:. I have given him suggestions of what not to do on the internet with his computer to help keep it running smooth.

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 15, 2015 13:34 |  #25

nqjudo wrote in post #17557567 (external link)
My choice is to have more reliability, less hassle and infinitely better security among others..

Ahem....

http://www.gfi.com …and-applications-in-2014/ (external link)

And I don't know where you are getting your "more reliable" fact from. Where is the data to prove that Macs are more reliable? There is nothing a Winmachine can do a macmachine cannot and vice versa.

Stop spreading this without benchmarks and proof. Cost for cost a windows machine will blow a Mac out of the water but OS simplicity IS easier on OSx for a new computer user though but seriously show facts that says that macs are better punch for punch machines if you are going to make statements like this. It confuses people who do not know better and you spread misinformation.

The OSx vs Windows is merely optional to the user, what system OS they prefer. There is no "better" OS. It's like someone saying "Nikon DSLRs are better than Canons because".... it's a stupid argument because we know that both could produce the same shots.

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

rgs
Goldmember
2,327 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jun 2007

May 15, 2015 13:39 |  #26

Only if you want to spend more for the same specs and are willing to have Apple totally in charge of how you work. Laptops don't last anyway (desktops last much longer) so don't spend more than you need to. For $1300 you can get a machine with at least 16Gb and an SSD.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
3,305 posts
Gallery: 341 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014

May 15, 2015 14:05 |  #27

Apple are not in charge of your work, saying such is an uninformed & misleading statement. Spec for spec I found not such a huge difference in price. If fact a similar Dell XPS was more expensive than the Mac equivalent. I'd say you might 'see' better prices in a PC though. Biggest thing for me in laptop land was the upgraded IPS retina screen. Put simply, don't waste your time or money on a laptop that is not equipped with one, if you work with photographs. It's a worthy luxury.

Fujifilm cameras and lenses.
Get 5% off Fuji from Kim ;) (external link)
Gear & Discounts (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)
Coffee & Fujis (external link)YouTube (external link)

rgs
Goldmember
2,327 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jun 2007

May 15, 2015 14:21 |  #28

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #17557726 (external link)
Apple are not in charge of your work, saying such is an uninformed & misleading statement. Biggest thing for me in laptop land was the upgraded IPS retina screen. Put simply, don't waste your time or money on a laptop that is not equipped with one, if you work with photographs. It's a worthy luxury.

Simple hyperbole meant to emphasize the rigid control Apple exercises over their hardware, software, employees, ect. As to the retina screen, I know they are quite good but the glossy surface makes photo editing difficult - even for a good screen with good color controls. You may be right, though, since the OP seems to want to use the laptop for the heavy lifting for which a desktop and color balanced screen are much better suited. I think that when my current laptop has run it's course it will be replaced by a tablet. But the desktop will be replaced (after several upgrades) by a much more capable model. Unfortunately I don't think this fits the way the OP want to use his.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,270 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by Trvlr323.

May 15, 2015 14:23 |  #29

Bleufire wrote in post #17557688 (external link)
Ahem....

http://www.gfi.com …and-applications-in-2014/ (external link)

And I don't know where you are getting your "more reliable" fact from. Where is the data to prove that Macs are more reliable? There is nothing a Winmachine can do a macmachine cannot and vice versa.

More reliable is as per my own subjective experience which is what this debate is all about. You want figures? Use Google and you'll find plenty of arguments both ways. As they say, figures don't lie but liars can figure. You want to blindly follow a bunch of graphs and pie charts from an external source that likely has an agenda that differs from helping consumers make the best choices be my guest.

Bleufire wrote in post #17557688 (external link)
Stop spreading this without benchmarks and proof. Cost for cost a windows machine will blow a Mac out of the water but OS simplicity IS easier on OSx for a new computer user though but seriously show facts that says that macs are better punch for punch machines if you are going to make statements like this. It confuses people who do not know better and you spread misinformation.

The OSx vs Windows is merely optional to the user, what system OS they prefer. There is no "better" OS. It's like someone saying "Nikon DSLRs are better than Canons because".... it's a stupid argument because we know that both could produce the same shots.

Again, this can be proven either way. It depends what you are benchmarking. Speaking of cost though I have kept detailed budget/financial figures for over 20 years that includes exactly how much I spend on what. The cost of tech where computers are concerned has gone down since I turned to Apple mostly by the fact that I get a much longer lifespan from my Apple products than I ever did from Windows-based machines be they home built or pre-built. This isn't opinion in my case. It is fact. Also, let's not forget the less obvious costs. All the unnecessary time I spent mucking about with Windows updates, drivers, incompetent and unreliable backup systems, 3rd party offerings that didn't quite fit and required endless tweaking, etc. is certainly worth something. Then there is the issue of warranty. With a Windows machine there is the hardware manufacturer, Microsoft and all the 3rd party guys. An awful lot of fingerpointing goes on there and wait, I have to ship this thing where for service? With Apple I walk into a store and it's done. Hours of hassle and $$ saved. I don't question how other people value their time but I know how I value mine. The freedom I get from turning on my 6.5 year old machine, running the latest OS and editing photos without issue the same as the same as the day I bought it and not having to tinker whatsoever to keep it running is pretty much all the data, facts and opinion I need. I respect yours too, however.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

May 15, 2015 14:35 |  #30

See for me the screen has never been a big deal (If mac screens are better then that is a plus for them). The only time I use my laptop screen is when traveling otherwise it is connected to a 27" screen on my desk along with keyboard and mouse. Very rarely do I use it at home other then in my office. But I like to have the portability should I need it.

sponsored links

4,091 views & 3 likes for this thread
Need to buy a new laptop, shall i buy a macbook
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.