Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
Thread started 09 May 2015 (Saturday) 20:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hired a fantastic newborn photographer - unimpressed with the results

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

May 18, 2015 18:59 as a reply to  @ post 17560967 |  #46

No, you're right, it's not, but looking at a photo on a VERY small screen is also not indicative of what you will get with the final product. While post can't save a bad photo, it can definitely take a photo that was good and make it great.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,712 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jun 2011

May 18, 2015 19:18 |  #47

I can generally tell through the viewfinder if I nailed the shot. The LCD is confirmation that exposure was right, and if I'm working at large apertures on a moving subject, if focus was spot on.

So I believe that one could look at a camera's LCD and have a pretty good idea if the shot would be worthwhile. As said, composition isn't going to change much, if one can't determine if composition is good from a LCD ... Well I don't know what to tell you.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 18, 2015 20:39 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #48

I cull the majority of each wedding I shoot in camera. The LCD is plenty good enough to be able to tell if a shot is awful or not.

Peter

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 18, 2015 20:41 as a reply to  @ post 17560967 |  #49

Rookie or no rookie you are spot on.

Peter

Flugelbinder
115 posts
Joined May 2015

May 19, 2015 07:45 |  #50

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17561852 (external link)
I can generally tell through the viewfinder if I nailed the shot. The LCD is confirmation that exposure was right, and if I'm working at large apertures on a moving subject, if focus was spot on.

So I believe that one could look at a camera's LCD and have a pretty good idea if the shot would be worthwhile. As said, composition isn't going to change much, if one can't determine if composition is good from a LCD ... Well I don't know what to tell you.

My thoughts exactly.

http://www.paulresinap​hotography.com/ (external link)
flickr (external link)

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

May 19, 2015 08:01 |  #51

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17554515 (external link)
One of the problems with photographers only having portfolios with the hero shots is that those shots are the exception and not the rule. It would be much better if photographers advertised with what they can consistently deliver and not what they may deliver once in a blue moon. My guess would be this photographer falls into the category with the ones who set unrealistic expectations.

Agreed! I always try to under-sell and over-deliver! Under-sell within reason of course :)

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

Flugelbinder
115 posts
Joined May 2015

May 19, 2015 08:03 |  #52

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17561943 (external link)
I cull the majority of each wedding I shoot in camera. The LCD is plenty good enough to be able to tell if a shot is awful or not.

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17561946 (external link)
Rookie or no rookie you are spot on.

Good to know.

flickr (external link)

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Joined Jul 2014

May 19, 2015 08:21 |  #53

Not sure what to think of this thread. I feel like we need to see some images.
It sounds like a client who can't be pleased no matter what. It also sounds like a photographer who did a below average job. I've heard this same story from both sides before.

On one hand, it sounds like the photog left you with unrealistic expectations. On the other hand, I find it hard to believe that you can't find photos you like out of the 54 given. 54 sounds like a good number. Also, not EVERY single photo is going to be the breath-taking photo you imagined. I think you would be lucky to get 4-5 AMAZING photos out of that with the rest just being good. You don't think ALL of those AMAZING photos on his site are all from the same session do you? Did you point out the photos from the site that you liked before hand? This would give the photog a good idea of your expectations. At the same time, the photog should have asked if there is anything in particular that you really liked. Ask you what made you choose them. He should have also managed your level of expectation.

I always ask clients why they chose me and what photos they really enjoyed and some of them come right out without me asking and tell me the photos they loved. Then I make sure I do some similar shots for them. And sometimes, I have to lower their expectations. For instance, I had a client who said hired me because he REALLY loved a particular fall photo I did with all of the colors. Well, at the time he said that, there were NO leaves and everything was dead in the middle of winter with no snow. So, I had to manage his expectations in that case. Another client said she really loved my macro, so I made sure we spent extra time on here ring shots.

In any case, I believe it is the photog's responsibility to think ahead and manage clients' expectations. It's the photog's job to make YOU happy, but clients should also be reasonable (not saying you aren't). Hard to tell without seeing any photos.

Blake C
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

Flugelbinder
115 posts
Joined May 2015
Post edited over 4 years ago by Flugelbinder.

May 19, 2015 09:51 |  #54

BlakeC wrote in post #17562560 (external link)
Not sure what to think of this thread. I feel like we need to see some images.
It sounds like a client who can't be pleased no matter what. It also sounds like a photographer who did a below average job. I've heard this same story from both sides before.

On one hand, it sounds like the photog left you with unrealistic expectations. On the other hand, I find it hard to believe that you can't find photos you like out of the 54 given. 54 sounds like a good number. Also, not EVERY single photo is going to be the breath-taking photo you imagined. I think you would be lucky to get 4-5 AMAZING photos out of that with the rest just being good. You don't think ALL of those AMAZING photos on his site are all from the same session do you? Did you point out the photos from the site that you liked before hand? This would give the photog a good idea of your expectations. At the same time, the photog should have asked if there is anything in particular that you really liked. Ask you what made you choose them. He should have also managed your level of expectation.

I always ask clients why they chose me and what photos they really enjoyed and some of them come right out without me asking and tell me the photos they loved. Then I make sure I do some similar shots for them. And sometimes, I have to lower their expectations. For instance, I had a client who said hired me because he REALLY loved a particular fall photo I did with all of the colors. Well, at the time he said that, there were NO leaves and everything was dead in the middle of winter with no snow. So, I had to manage his expectations in that case. Another client said she really loved my macro, so I made sure we spent extra time on here ring shots.

In any case, I believe it is the photog's responsibility to think ahead and manage clients' expectations. It's the photog's job to make YOU happy, but clients should also be reasonable (not saying you aren't). Hard to tell without seeing any photos.

Very good post!

I would highlight this:

- "...not EVERY single photo is going to be the breath-taking..." - This is so important (even for us shooting) to have in mind; we're not going to make the best image in our careers with every capture taken.

- "...always ask clients why they chose me and what photos they really enjoyed ... Then I make sure I do some similar shots for them..." - So true, they hire the photographer for a reason.

This is the kind of information which made me chose this forum...

flickr (external link)

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
8,942 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

May 19, 2015 12:37 |  #55

BlakeC wrote in post #17562560 (external link)
In any case, I believe it is the photog's responsibility to think ahead and manage clients' expectations. It's the photog's job to make YOU happy, but clients should also be reasonable (not saying you aren't).

Nailed it on the head Blake.

The photographer's failure to understand and manage expectations, coupled with the fact that most clients typically don't set expectations on the front end, is the crux of most issues. As the professional, the onus is on the photographer to do their best to understand the expectations of their client on the front-end.

On the flip-side, it can be frustrating when you make an earnest attempt to get your client to set their expectations up front, only to miss something that your client was expecting, but did not communicate.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

jimeuph1
215 posts
Joined Jul 2014

May 19, 2015 15:52 |  #56

In all reality you are better of paying for just one picture, and treasuring it.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 19, 2015 19:30 |  #57

BlakeC wrote in post #17562528 (external link)
Agreed! I always try to under-sell and over-deliver! Under-sell within reason of course :)

Nope. I'm not saying under-sell at all. I'm saying accurately sell. Show what you can consistently deliver.

Peter

Intheswamp
Goldmember
1,410 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2013

May 19, 2015 20:58 |  #58

jebrady03, I want to apologize in that I might have been a bit harsh in some of my statements. You are the only one here that knows your situation, your personality, your family, and your desires. Do whatever leaves you with no regrets and what you feel right for your family. For me personally, you are talking about a good bit of money invested in photos, more than I would feel comfortable spending on controversial images...especially since I call myself somewhat of a photographer. That is probably what caused/causes my resistance to the idea of you purchasing possibly questionable photos....your financial situation may be much better than mine. If it is, I'm happy for you. I truly hope that the final images that you receive bring a big smile to your face when you first see them and that they will be great images to look back on in years to come.

You own a camera. Now take some of your money...buy an electronic flash...maybe a 5-in-1 reflector...study up on bouncing the flash...study up on off-camera flash....study up on portrait lighting...visit The Strobist (external link) website...maybe even pick up an 85mm or 135mm lens...and start making some great images of your kid!!!! You can get better images than that professional....you can do it!!! And then...you can make all of us go "ooooh" and "aahhhhh!!!!" when you post them. ;)

Best wishes, seriously,
Ed

www.beeweather.com (external link)

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Joined Jul 2014

May 19, 2015 21:38 |  #59

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17563405 (external link)
Nope. I'm not saying under-sell at all. I'm saying accurately sell. Show what you can consistently deliver.

Yes, show what you can consistently deliver before hand. Then aim to over deliver! :-)

Blake C

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 19, 2015 22:40 as a reply to  @ BlakeC's post |  #60

Nope. Set proper expectations and deliver to those expectations. If someone is consistently "over delivering" they are setting the original expectations too low IMO.

Peter

sponsored links

13,530 views & 15 likes for this thread
Hired a fantastic newborn photographer - unimpressed with the results
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.