Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 18 May 2015 (Monday) 11:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can anyone confirm compatibility, Gitzo Systematic with Induro, Benro etc. center column?

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,723 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 4 years ago by CyberDyneSystems. (4 edits in all)

May 18, 2015 11:57 |  #1

I have a series 3 Gitzo systematic.
I am hoping some Benro, Induro, Sirui or Feisal owners could help me out.

The "hole" in the spider into which one can clamp center columns, leveling heads etc. is 70mm

IMAGE: http://glennview.com/jpgs/tripod/heads/gitzo/level/85mm/small_3.jpg

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/kWRs97e.png

This number is not too hard to find for the Gitzo, and is very easy when you own one and can measure one.

this info is however apparently impossible to find regarding other manufacturers with similar set ups on the internet.

For instance I have looked at Induro, Benro and Feisel and Sirui, and n all cases for all brands I can not find any info on the diameter of there comparable "hole"

The geared center column for the Gitzo is about $500.00

I need one for very occasional use, don't care about weight, and would be happy to buy the approx $200.00 Induro or Benro, but can't find out if one will fit.

Does anyone actually know?

This is the Induro model I thin might have a 70mm opening;
http://www.indurogear.​com …bon-8x-tripods-ct304.aspx (external link)

IMAGE: http://www.photovideoedu.com/Portals/0/Products/700/474-304_alt2.jpg
IMAGE: http://static.bhphoto.com/images/images750x750/1044185.jpg

and the Benro center column;
http://www.ebay.com …geName=STRK%3AM​EBIDX%3AIT (external link)

thanks in advance for any First Hand Knowledge!
If you have an Induro AT203, CT203 and CT304, or a Benro C3770T C3780T could you measure directly ?

P.S. If you try like I did to find this info online, 75mm bowl diameter is NOT what I am looking for, that is the industry standard fro video "bowl" heads. All of these tripods have adapters that have 75mm bowls on them. What's important is the size of the opening that those adapters fit into, not what fits into them.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links
johnf3f
Goldmember
4,080 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by johnf3f.

May 18, 2015 17:21 |  #2

Is this the sort of beastie you are looking for? Unfortunately not geared.

http://www.gitzo.co.uk …nium-series-2-3-4-gs3311s (external link)

If so there is one here:

http://www.ebay.com …ain_0&hash=item​3382874c20 (external link)

It appears to have a cut out to avoid the safety lock and is made of alloy but it should do the job just fine.

I bought the carbon Gitzo G1318 (mint) for my GT3530ls off E bay for $52 in you money - so it's worth looking around. Personally I don't like geared center columns but it is all down to your personal requirements.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

OneyedJack
140 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 19, 2015 00:57 |  #3

The Benro "3-series" has a 75mm hole and the "4-series" has a 85mm hole. Benro uses "bowl" to refer to the hole in their systematics. Rather confusing but probably just a translation fubar. Have a look at the larger Benro C4770TN and AGC4 geared column which use a 85mm diameter and you will see the same "bowl" terminology.

I would also recommend used Gitzo's on ebay or KEH. I bought the GS5310LGS extra long model for use with a 5 series systematic and was very impressed with the precision even with heavy loads. Sold it for what I paid for it in the end.

5Dmk2 | 24-105f4 | 16-35f2.8 | 70-200f2.8

peter_n
Goldmember
2,444 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

May 19, 2015 08:08 |  #4

Benro tripod parts can be dimensionally identical to Gitzo parts. The original Benros were slavish copies of Gitzos, and I use both and have interchanged parts. My Gitzo systematic is the 3541LS - the model that preceded yours.

I'm quite sure that the AGC3 geared center column you linked to would work in my tripod but not in yours, and the reason for that is the new lock on the current Gitzo models. I use a 75mm RRS leveling base on my systematic but it won't work on the 3542LS. One of the reasons why I'm hoping my 3541LS never dies.

I also have a Benro 4-series systematic center plate and the piece that fits into the tripod base ring has a 94.75mm diameter.

~Peter

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
49,723 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 4 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

May 19, 2015 09:44 |  #5

Peter, thank you so much for your input.
This is encouraging and I may give this a shot.

In fact, despite the photos, my own Gitzo is older and "pre-lock" (why do i feel like I am talking about Model 1911s here)
I have the GT3530... which you may note lacks the "L" ie: it's a bit short when I don;t have a gimbal mounted. Thus the desire for a center column.

I am actually debating selling and getting one of the "L" models. The difference between 50" and 57"/58" height is significant for a 6 footer.

as for the new lock, I am confident should I end up with a new model "L" that I would be able to "modify" my leveling head and other accessories to work with the lock.

Thanks to all who gave input here. I may end up with a Gitzo brand rapid column,. but I already own a good tripod with a good rapid column. My interest really is in a geared column for certain applications.
I've had my eye out for a used Gitzo, I'd be happy even f with one of the old "studex" heavy aluminim ones "of yore" but they seem hard to come bay and still pricey on e-Bay.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
49,723 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 19, 2015 10:06 |  #6

johnf3f wrote in post #17561700 (external link)
.... Personally I don't like geared center columns but it is all down to your personal requirements.

I do have now more than one smaller tripods with decent rapid center columns. None however are as robust as my Gitzo Systematic.

My desire for a geared column is as you might expect, for a very limited and specific application.

On very rare occasions I do studio work, and rather than own a dedicated studio tripod (which ideally would be exactly one of those old HEAVY Aluminum Gitzos, but would spend 362 days a year in a closet) it made sense to me to have a dedicated geared column to add to my existing short Gitzo series three. The it would only be the center column in a closet most of the year.

In the studio, the ease of a crank for fine adjustment has in the past been quite appealing and less clumsy than a rapid column.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
49,723 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 19, 2015 10:07 |  #7

P.S. at some point I'll have to post a photo of my "large Studio tripod/rocket launcher support" which has a geared column built in.. :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

peter_n
Goldmember
2,444 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 20, 2015 07:01 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #8

Jake, the Gitzo center columns are really expensive. I have one for my 3-series and I've used it once. The eBay dealer you linked to for the Benro geared column is excellent; I've dealt with him for years and he's very helpful. You might want to email him about the fit of the Benro column on your Gitzo before buying, he may be able to give you a definitive answer.

~Peter

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
49,723 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 20, 2015 10:33 as a reply to  @ peter_n's post |  #9

Thank you Peter, i will do that very thing!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
49,723 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 28, 2015 13:32 |  #10

First off, I can now confirm without question that the Induro line of replaceable center columns made for the "Induro Grand" series will fit the Gitzo systematic line.

I finally just dove in and made a purchase when I discovered the Induro @ Amazon which = guaranteed no hassle return.

The Induro 479-501 Grand Induro MGC23 Geared Column arrived today;
http://www.amazon.com …oh_aui_detailpa​ge_o00_s01 (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

It fits the Gitzo Series 3 perfectly!

@ under $200.00 it is a great bargain compared to the Gitzo which clocks in at near $500.00

Like all Induro products I have come across, it appears very well made. It has threaded base at both ends, so one would not have to do an in the filed reassembly to hang a camera from the bottom.

I am still confused that this was such an impossible thing to find information on. Even contacting the Ebay vendor above proved to simply increase the confusion, as again, he did not seem to understand the difference between the 75mm and 100mm "bowl" diameters, vs. the spider opening on any of these tripods.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,080 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

May 28, 2015 16:24 |  #11

Problem solved!
Looks good especially for the money.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

peter_n
Goldmember
2,444 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 29, 2015 08:23 |  #12

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17574875 (external link)
First off, I can now confirm without question that the Induro line of replaceable center columns made for the "Induro Grand" series will fit the Gitzo systematic line.

Great news! Yes DC made a mess of a systematic spider part I wanted at the beginning of the year as well, he's a good guy but I'm not so sure he understands the finer points of the construction of a tripod. Bottom line is you're happy and that's all that counts! :-)

~Peter

SailingAway
380 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Jun 02, 2015 18:54 |  #13

Glad you got what you were looking for. Your quest also helped me...
I have a Gitzo 1327v tripod that I bought for video several(!) years ago. My tripod came with a 75mm bowl and fluid head, what I needed at the time, but now I'd like to set it up with a flat plate, and a column, for stills work. It too is 70mm in diameter, which suggests that it is compatible with all series 2/3/4 columns & plates.

(strangely, I was unable to get that nugget of info out of Gitzo US. Less-than-helpful customer service.)

But, my, that Gitzo gear comes dear!

Is anyone aware of a rapid-style column and a flat plate from Induro, Benro, etc. that fit a 70mm Gitzo Series 2/3/4 spider? CyberDyne's new geared column looks fantastic for the price, but I need a rapid column... and it would be nice to have the flat plate, but that's a lot of money from Gitzo.

The old plate was less that $40, shoulda' bought one when I could, because the new version is around $100.

From the upper left corner of the U.S.
Photos, Video & Pano r us.
College and workshop instructor in video and audio.
70D, Sigma 8mm, Tokina f2.8 11-16, Canon EF-S f2.8 17-55, Sigma f2.8 50-150 EX OS, Tamron 150-600VC. Gigapan Epic Pro, Nodal Ninja 5 & R10.

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
49,723 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 02, 2015 22:09 |  #14

Just FYI,

Induro 2 and 3 series fit Gitzo 2 & 3 series,. All 70mm

Induro 4 & 5 fit the Gitzo 5. All about 80 (82?) mm

Gitzo 4 series has me confused. I see some items that claim to fit 2, 3, and 4 series, and some items that claim to fit 4 & 5. This has me very confused.
I can even find some of the "bare plate" that comes with the series 5 that claim to also fit the series 4, so series 4 has to be the same 80mm, BUT the newer ones all claim that the Series 4 top plate is the same part as the Series 2,3?
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …p_Top_Flat_Plat​e_SER.html (external link)
http://www.ebay.com …ectorid=229466&​rmvSB=true (external link)

I also have two Gitzo tops (Systematic ballhead, and the leveling column) Both of which have both sizes, 70mm and 80mm in "steps" to fit both series, and in both cases they are labeled for "3" on the 70mm and "5" on the 80mm, nothing really tells me what the 4 series is.

My only "theory" is that the 4 and 5 used to share the same 80mm, and now the Series 4 uses the 70mm?

Unclear so be careful with Gitzo 4.

Again, on the Induro, what I do know for a fact is that what Induro calls a "4" fits the Gitzo 5.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
49,723 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 4 years ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

Jun 02, 2015 22:26 |  #15

SailingAway wrote in post #17581688 (external link)
Is anyone aware of a rapid-style column and a flat plate from Induro, Benro, etc. that fit a 70mm Gitzo Series 2/3/4 spider? CyberDyne's new geared column looks fantastic for the price, but I need a rapid column... and it would be nice to have the flat plate, but that's a lot of money from Gitzo.

The old plate was less that $40, shoulda' bought one when I could, because the new version is around $100.

Flat pate? The Benro or Induro will work.
http://www.adorama.com​/indmfp23.html (external link)
You can't use a rapid column with the flat plate though, it's one or the other.

I actually had a hard time finding a 3rd party rapid column assembly (with the collar) but if you can find one of these;
http://www.ebay.com …geName=STRK%3AM​EBIDX%3AIT (external link)

Any of the Induro series 3 columns on this page will fit in that Gitzo Series 3 collar
http://www.indurogear.​com/products/tripod-accessories/ (external link)

I got this one and a long one from my Induro CT313
http://www.amazon.com …oh_aui_detailpa​ge_o00_s02 (external link)

IMPORTANT! Here the "Series' has to be the exact number. ie: Induro 3 fits Gitzo 3, not 2 or 4!
In this case the "3" is referring to the diameter of column used for the center column, NOT the diameter of the opening into which the collar will fit!

Feisol complete rapid column rigs with collar etc are readily available, but alas, like everything we've discovered in the thread, I can not find anyone anywhere that will vouch for compatibility with the Gitzo magic "70mm"

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

sponsored links

17,174 views & 9 likes for this thread
Can anyone confirm compatibility, Gitzo Systematic with Induro, Benro etc. center column?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.