Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 19 May 2015 (Tuesday) 10:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GIMP - How do you reset the Auto-Rotate Preference?

Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,455 posts
Joined Jun 2003

May 19, 2015 10:00 |  #1

I am running Gimp 2.8, and when I first loaded an image that was taken in portrait orientation, a pop-up asked if I wanted GIMP to auto-rotate the image. I accidentally clicked the wrong option, so now every time I open a portrait orientation shot, I have to click Image>Transform>Rotate Image 90° Counterclockwise.

I have looked through the Preferences, but I cannot figure out how to reset this so that the portrait orientation shots are auto-rotated. Any help?

Rad

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

sponsored links
Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
3,136 posts
Gallery: 1432 photos
Joined Mar 2010

May 19, 2015 18:09 |  #2

Apparently, one has to edit a file to turn this feature off. My references are:

http://gimpforums.com …-to-stop-auto-orientation (external link)

https://butterflyofdre​am.wordpress.com …-photo-image-in-gimp-2-8/ (external link)

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 19, 2015 20:38 |  #3

If you would rather not go digging and editing inside your .gimp files, you can type this line into Filters > Script-fu > Console, then press Enter to execute it:

(gimp-detach-parasite "exif-orientation-rotate")
This will clear out the "don't ask me again" setting.

Radtech1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,455 posts
Joined Jun 2003

May 21, 2015 14:37 as a reply to  @ lar55's post |  #4

Worked like a charm, in spite of:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

minicooper452
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Sep 2017

Sep 06, 2017 17:56 as a reply to  @ lar55's post |  #5

SO frustrated. I know just enough about computers to get me in trouble. Please be patient.

Tried your trick and it's not working for me. Don't know what I might be doing wrong, please help.

(gimp-detach-parasite "exif-orientation-rotate") ..... precisely and exactly, or with or without parentheses or quotes or what? Do I restart after to make it save? I've tried several different "versions" now and can't remember what I've done or not, so I thought I'd just ask. Thanks!

elitejp
Goldmember
1,767 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 06, 2017 22:00 |  #6

How about just reinstalling gimp

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 07, 2017 20:59 |  #7

The fix I posted 2 years ago here is for a very specific case: You open a JPEG file in GIMP, and the JPEG file has EXIF tags that say the photo was taken rotated. (This happens if I shoot in portrait mode - camera rotated 90 degrees - using a camera with a built-in orientation sensor.) GIMP displays a dialog: "According to the EXIF data, this image is rotated. Would you like GIMP to rotate it into the standard orientation?"

You can pick Rotate or Keep Orientation. There is also a check-box "Don't ask me again". If you check this box, then pick Keep or Rotate, GIMP will do what you say when importing this image, and all future JPEG images, without asking. There is no way in the user interface to undo "don't ask me again", it seems.

GIMP calls this setting a "parasite" (possibly because it is attached to a plug-in, the JPEG importer) and stores it in a file called "parasiterc" in your GIMP preferences directory, which is ~/.gimp-2.8 on my system. It's somewhere else on Windows and Mac, probably.

To clear the setting and have GIMP ask you again about importing JPEG files which have EXIF rotation tags, you can either delete that "parasiterc" file (possibly losing other preferences too, but not your main GIMP settings), or edit it to remove the exif-orientation-rotate action. If you chose to do either of these, do it while GIMP is not running. Or, you can copy the command I gave above - parenthesis and all - into the script-fu console and press Enter to execute it. You do not have to restart. It takes effect the next time you open or import a JPEG file.

Both of those work, but only for the specific case I have described. If you are having a different issue, they won't help.

elitejp
Goldmember
1,767 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 07, 2017 22:06 |  #8

Sometimes i really need to check the date of these posts :cry:

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

sponsored links

6,536 views & 0 likes for this thread
GIMP - How do you reset the Auto-Rotate Preference?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.