Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 24 Apr 2013 (Wednesday) 12:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GreenToe - Reverse Auction Photography Site

bigburpsx3
31 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 04, 2015 00:32 as a reply to  @ post 17521957 |  #1201

I got my rebate via Paypal. I just emailed Andrew to confirm. It usually comes a few weeks after you receive your item.

sponsored links
serrow
31 posts
Joined May 2015

May 07, 2015 19:04 |  #1202

I'm a huge fan of making offers on ebay. same thing

mileslong24
508 posts
Joined Jun 2011

May 09, 2015 19:30 |  #1203

Has anyone purchased a Canon 100-400 II through them? If so could you PM me the amount payed.

LonelyBoy
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Oct 2014

May 19, 2015 12:33 |  #1204

Bah - posted a low but not unreasonable offer for a 5D3/24-105L combo, and have since received multiple emails asking me to up my offer to... $2699, same as the current CPW price (when combo'd with a lens, but still). Same price the combo has been at various times recently. If it's just another avenue to the same price as CPW Street Price, I don't see the point.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127590681@N03/ (external link)
I love a like, but feedback (including CC) is even better!

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 19, 2015 12:54 |  #1205

LonelyBoy wrote in post #17562926 (external link)
Bah - posted a low but not unreasonable offer for a 5D3/24-105L combo, and have since received multiple emails asking me to up my offer to... $2699, same as the current CPW price (when combo'd with a lens, but still). Same price the combo has been at various times recently. If it's just another avenue to the same price as CPW Street Price, I don't see the point.

Well, you can read the many posts here that indicate some opportunity for savings, or look at your single data point and make a conclusion based on it. Your choice. One thing to understand is that GreenToe is not going to be consistent. While that may be a bit frustrating, it is one of the things that creates an opportunity to sometimes save more than what might otherwise be available.

LonelyBoy
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Oct 2014

May 19, 2015 13:07 |  #1206

mpix345 wrote in post #17562950 (external link)
Well, you can read the many posts here that indicate some opportunity for savings, or look at your single data point and make a conclusion based on it. Your choice. One thing to understand is that GreenToe is not going to be consistent. While that may be a bit frustrating, it is one of the things that creates an opportunity to sometimes save more than what might otherwise be available.

Yeah, those posts are why I tried it. Frankly, I'd be happier if they didn't email me (multiple times, no less!) asking me to up my bid to an unimpressive deal. Will I try them again sometime? Sure. But if it doesn't work for me again, would you really expect me to keep trying? Honestly, how often do you keep trying something that doesn't work for you? If there's a restaurant that's supposed to be good, but your meal is screwed up twice, how many times will you keep going back because other people say it's great?

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127590681@N03/ (external link)
I love a like, but feedback (including CC) is even better!

IShootThings
I thought I was special.......
2,032 posts
Joined May 2009

May 19, 2015 18:03 |  #1207

LonelyBoy wrote in post #17562926 (external link)

If your offer isn't significantly lower, leave it for a couple of days. I did that with a 5D and ended up having my offer accepted at $270 less than the counter offers... The prices were a bit higher back when I purchased mine but it was still a significant difference than the counter offers.

Canon 5D3, Canon XTI (IR converted), 24-70 f2.8L, 16-35 f4L, 50 1.4, 70-200 f2.8L, 100 2.8 macro, 430 ex & 580 exII speedlights.

rob0225
288 posts
Joined May 2011
Post edited over 6 years ago by rob0225. (3 edits in all)

May 19, 2015 22:28 |  #1208

I just bought from them. Put a lowball offer in and got a reply if I raised my bid to this, it would immediately be accepted. Got offer the following day of $2050. I said yes as long as they agree to ship it out that day via 2 day fedex shipment. They took the deal and took my money. I should have got it Saturday according to them but didn't end up getting it until Monday.

You don't find out who the seller is until after the bid is accepted. My vendor has very low and horrible reviews. Upon learning that I suspected something was going to go bad and even told GreenToe of my fears.

Up to that point everything went well. Received a message that would be sent Friday but never received shipping information. Friday comes with nothing and the customer service at Greentoe says it will get delivered Saturday.

They swore that it was shipped and I would receive it Saturday but they couldn't provide a tracking number, said they ship via a Amazon warehouse and sometimes the item ships before the tracking number makes it. I doubted everything because UPS doesn't deliver on Saturday.

Bottom Line no one knew what was going on. Let the GreenToe folks know on Saturday I didn't receive it. Monday I still don't have a tracking number....called Green Tree with no luck. Ended up calling the vendor themselves and received tracking number from them. Good to go, got the camera that day.

GreenToe did pretty much nothing in this deal except trade a few emails and they lacked the ability to track shipments. They also should probably look at working with companies that have good online reviews. Though mine eventually worked out, I wasn't feeling warm and fuzzy from the start and was expecting it to go bad. I was playing out scenarios in my head to get my money back and where to buy a 5D3, knowing would cost me more money due to expedited need now. I think GreenToe is viable, but they need to tighten up their processes and vet their vendors.

And Finally, better communications after the sale. They are emailing you every day to make the sale, but after the sale and need help as I did...beeeeeeeeeeeeeee​p.

I never did get a "sorry, we screwed up" from them.

http://www.randsphoto.​com (external link)

Campusconnection838
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined May 2015

May 20, 2015 09:55 |  #1209

Thank you for the information. Looking for a camera body for shooting Sports.

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Post edited over 6 years ago by mpix345.

May 20, 2015 10:35 |  #1210

LonelyBoy wrote in post #17562959 (external link)
Yeah, those posts are why I tried it. Frankly, I'd be happier if they didn't email me (multiple times, no less!) asking me to up my bid to an unimpressive deal. Will I try them again sometime? Sure. But if it doesn't work for me again, would you really expect me to keep trying? Honestly, how often do you keep trying something that doesn't work for you? If there's a restaurant that's supposed to be good, but your meal is screwed up twice, how many times will you keep going back because other people say it's great?

I don't have any expectations with regard to where you or anyone buys their gear.

The point I would make to anyone is that GreenToe is just not like dealing with B&H or Amazon. They often offer some savings, but you have to be patient and flexible if you want to work with them.

edit: After posting I read rob0225's post (#1211 in this thread) and had to add an edit here. His delivery was delayed one day and there was no communication. While that is not acceptable to me, it ultimately ends up in the "no harm/no foul" category. As for the vendor selection, this is one of the benefits of using GreenToe. They can offer savings working with whatever authorized dealer they want, and they should shield the purchaser from any significant risk. But we have to be a bit flexible and a bit patient. Maybe they will improve over time, but they need to do that without adding significant infrastructure costs, otherwise there will be no reason to buy from them.

I'm not aware of GreenToe screwing over anyone. That is the bottom line. If you want that low price you may need to overlook some of the little stuff. If you can't do that I'd recommend going with a traditional and proven option.

John
Goldmember
1,405 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 20, 2015 14:31 |  #1211

In my experience, GreenToe does not process payments nor shipping. They are just the middleman between the buyer and retailer. In fact, if anyone has ever used Priceline or Hotwire's reverse bidding for hotels, it works the exact same way. If you get to the hotel and find that there's no hot water, there's not much Priceline/Hotwire can do to help you get hot water in your room. Instead, you should go directly to the hotel and ask them to rectify the issue.

On the otherhand, I am a little surprised GreenToe promised a certain delivery date since this depends entirely on how quick the retailer processes orders and GreenToe couldn't possibly have any control over that. If the retailer happens to be Adorama, they'll most likely be able to ship the same day or next business day (depending on availability). Other retailers may have a longer processing period.

Last purchase I made through GreenToe was the 400mm 2.8 IS II. Was able to take advantage of their 5% cashback promotion and received a whopping rebate after a few weeks.

For those that are low balling just to low ball and hoping to get lucky; just remember that this isn't craigslist. ;)

john | gear | web hosting deal for POTN members!

IShootThings
I thought I was special.......
2,032 posts
Joined May 2009

May 20, 2015 19:54 |  #1212

John wrote in post #17564416 (external link)
In my experience, GreenToe does not process payments nor shipping. They are just the middleman between the buyer and retailer. In fact, if anyone has ever used Priceline or Hotwire's reverse bidding for hotels, it works the exact same way. If you get to the hotel and find that there's no hot water, there's not much Priceline/Hotwire can do to help you get hot water in your room. Instead, you should go directly to the hotel and ask them to rectify the issue.

On the otherhand, I am a little surprised GreenToe promised a certain delivery date since this depends entirely on how quick the retailer processes orders and GreenToe couldn't possibly have any control over that. If the retailer happens to be Adorama, they'll most likely be able to ship the same day or next business day (depending on availability). Other retailers may have a longer processing period.

Last purchase I made through GreenToe was the 400mm 2.8 IS II. Was able to take advantage of their 5% cashback promotion and received a whopping rebate after a few weeks.

For those that are low balling just to low ball and hoping to get lucky; just remember that this isn't craigslist. ;)

I think Greentoe works with the seller so if the seller promises 2 day shipping, Greentoe tells the buyer they'll get 2 day shipping.

As far as rob's problem goes, Greentoe can't give out a tracking number if the seller doesn't give them one. I've had a similar experience and emailed the seller directly who provided the tracking info. I notified Greentoe that the seller hadn't updated the website with the tracking info and the next day, it was there. As mentioned, no harm, no foul.

Other than low costs, my experiences have been pretty good with Greentoe's customer service. I've had no problems with rebates, communicating about offers or returning items I wasn't satisfied with.

Canon 5D3, Canon XTI (IR converted), 24-70 f2.8L, 16-35 f4L, 50 1.4, 70-200 f2.8L, 100 2.8 macro, 430 ex & 580 exII speedlights.

rob0225
288 posts
Joined May 2011

May 20, 2015 20:02 |  #1213

Your right...it ended up being no harm/no foul though it didn't reduce the stress levels wondering if I was going to get the camera in time (I was leaving which is why I asked for the expedited shipping as part of the deal) or if I was going to have to get it overnighted by B&H or someone. The online reviews (horrible reviews) of the vendor didn't give me much confidence either.

Bottom line, I got the camera two days later then what was promised. Part of my deal (via email with GreenToe) included the expedited delivery which didn't happen.

I most likely would not use GreenToe again unless they put more effort in vetting their vendors.

http://www.randsphoto.​com (external link)

freestylee30
796 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 04, 2015 12:10 |  #1214

Well, I'm joining the Tamron 15-30 f/2.8 VC club, thanks to Greentoe!

I've only been through the Offer/Counter-offer email part of the service and my vendor was chosen - so far so good. Now the terrible waiting game!

I'd definitely use Greentoe again.

Brandon | zenfolio (external link)| ♥ feedback ♥
Eternal Blue Forever Green
Image Editing OK

CANON 5DIV 50 f/1.8 85 f/1.8 135 f/2L 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
ROKINON 14 f/2.8 | TAMRON 15-30 f/2.8 VC 24-70 f/2.8 VC | SIGMA 35 f/1.4 Art |

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,709 posts
Gallery: 541 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 04, 2015 12:29 |  #1215

freestylee30 wrote in post #17584015 (external link)
Well, I'm joining the Tamron 15-30 f/2.8 VC club, thanks to Greentoe!

I've only been through the Offer/Counter-offer email part of the service and my vendor was chosen - so far so good. Now the terrible waiting game!

I'd definitely use Greentoe again.

What offer was accepted?

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

sponsored links

260,348 views & 40 likes for this thread
GreenToe - Reverse Auction Photography Site
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.