Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 21 May 2015 (Thursday) 05:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Honest feedback for my website please

wurdz921
87 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 21, 2015 05:57 |  #1

Hello, I've been a long time member but I've always pretty much been a forum reader if that makes any sense. You guys here are awesome with your photography. I've put together a site I'm not a professional photographer at all. I'm just a dad that loves taking pictures. I'm just trying to start something for some side work. Please any criticism is good criticism to me. The site is thepicturedoctor.com

Thank you in advance

Mike

5D MKII 7D MKI 50 1.8 70-200-2.8II 17-55

sponsored links
FerozeK
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 21, 2015 06:27 |  #2

The opening gallery script is strange it takes too long to load, that mirror effect for me isnt attractive or helping the pics much

You portfolio should have the images grouped by theme, I dont get the strawberry one. Or the golf balls? or the car rims? Your about us says you do portraits and events, whats the link?

You have too many portraits of the same person, pick one of the best and use only that

Theres no pricing on the pricing page?? The page/link should be "advice"

AceCo55
264 posts
Joined Mar 2014

May 21, 2015 06:33 |  #3

Sorry ... soon as the music started I closed the tab.

From the "Land Down Under" ... South Australia

wurdz921
THREAD ­ STARTER
87 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 21, 2015 06:39 as a reply to  @ AceCo55's post |  #4

I just 86'd the music lol, and I will go through the pictures and remove some. This is great because this is what I expected to get from you guys. I really appreciate all the honest opinions. I want to try to get the site somewhat decent. Keep the comments coming. I will adjust as I hear them.

Thanks

Mike

armis
890 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

May 21, 2015 07:50 |  #5

In general it looks like you haven't given too much thought to people with screens smaller than yours. For instance, here's how it looks on my screen, (external link) in windowed mode :
- font size doesn't scale
- black header disappears, making text extra hard to read
- miniature previews go off screen, can't scroll (an issue I even have in full screen, in fact)
- layout generally goes to hell
(disclaimer: I'm at work on IE11 and I'm pretty sure it's messing with page layout - even my own website looks a bit off on this rig. So if you can't reproduce some of the things above, it's probably an issue on my side :))

Then there's other minor issues:
- the "Pricing" page is empty, but the "About" page isn't: either make your menu titles inactive or have actual content in both
- I'm not sure you need both an "About" and an "About Photographer" page - and I'm a bit confused by how different they sound (the first one refers to "we" while the other one is just you?)
- the "Portfolio" slideshow has pictures in double, pictures that are in the "Portraits" gallery, and (apologies in advance) pictures that frankly I don't think are worthy of your portfolio (golf balls? -?) - though I think maybe you were tinkering at the time I visited
- as mentioned above, it's "advice"
- I wonder about having a booking page and a contact page separately (and under different menu headers too), but I don't have a better solution to suggest.

Fuji X-E2, 18-55 and 55-200 zooms, Samyang 12
www.wtbphoto.com (external link)

wurdz921
THREAD ­ STARTER
87 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 21, 2015 08:10 as a reply to  @ armis's post |  #6

I do thank you so much for taking the time and giving me direction. This site is still in the construction stages. Your comments are wonderful in directing me to try to get it better or at least looking somewhat like a website. Yes I am tinkering with now. I am adjusting on the fly. I truly do appreciate the honest criticism.

Thank you so much

Mike

wurdz921
THREAD ­ STARTER
87 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 21, 2015 08:21 as a reply to  @ post 17565239 |  #7

You pretty much nailed it with the Flikr lol, I am such a newb trying to get this site going. I have a full time career and photography has been a passion of mine for a very long time. I am just getting started and this has helped me tremendously getting feedback from all of you. I am tweaking it on fly as I get great info from you all.

Thank you all

Mike

AceCo55
264 posts
Joined Mar 2014

May 22, 2015 01:40 |  #8

To preview your website at different screen sizes/tablets/phones etc, I use "screenfly"
http://quirktools.com/​screenfly/ (external link)

You just enter your website address and select the screen size/type and it will show you a preview of what it would look like

From the "Land Down Under" ... South Australia

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

May 22, 2015 18:20 |  #9

Overall it's very slow to do anything. It's too dark as well.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

Spats139
412 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2009

May 22, 2015 20:29 |  #10

I agree with the other comments, particularly the lack of themes for the photos and how slow the site is.

I found your portraits slide show to be pretty annoying. I have dual monitors, and if I leave the cursor on the monitor showing the pictures your banner drops down and obscures the tops of the images; I have to move the cursor to the other monitor to see the whole image. Many of the photos have nice poses, colors, and lighting; but just as many are simply out-of-focus images that could have been taken with a cell phone; cull the poor ones out.

The other point that I found a bit at odds was the discordant sound between your site name and your narrative text. "The Picture Doctor" is definitely singular, but when I read your text entries - for example your "About" section - they are full of "We shoot...", "We believe...", "We are...", "We spend..." etc.; it sounds like a one person show trying to sound like more than they are. It may just be me, but I would make the site name plural, or rewrite the text using "I" just for consistency.

All this being said, I still think you're off to a good start; however, as it stands, your site wouldn't inspire me to actually contact you for your services.

Dale

sponsored links

1,486 views & 0 likes for this thread
Honest feedback for my website please
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.