Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 23 May 2015 (Saturday) 07:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My experience with Canon repair

yamatama
261 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by yamatama.

May 23, 2015 07:50 |  #1

Hey everyone, just sent my 70-200 is ii to United Camera after two horrible experiences with Canon repair. So my lens was having this loud thumping sound and at first I thought it was the IS working but later on noticed it had to be something else. In my view finder the image from time to time jumped to the right abruptly and it was making it hard for me to shoot. Im a wedding photographer so I always need my gear to be 100% perfect. After comparing my lens with a colleague's copy I sent it to Canon VA for repair (the lens is still in warranty). I received my lens back and they acknowledge the problem, they said the optical assembly was out of position so the image could not be be displayed properly. I received it back and the problem was still there but it actually got worse and the images were very soft (before sending it the first time lens was tack sharp). So I wrote them again and sent the lens back for a repeat repair. After two weeks I receive the lens and again they said that the optical assembly was out of position so the replaced the washer mount and they did a focus ring adjustment. Received it again and... problem was not fixed. The lens was in the same condition as the first time and its really really frustrating. This is my workhorse lens for weddings and I have been a month without it. Im not happy with the Canon repair service. I decided to give United Camera a try, I talked to them via phone and explained my situation and they guaranteed to fix the problem and keep me updated with every step (which Canon never did). They also sent me a next the shipping label paid which was very nice of them. So to end this long text.. have any of you guys have had any experience with United Camera? and also Have any of you have had any similar experience with Canon?

Nikon D750, 35 1.4G, 85 1.8G, 24-70 2.8G, 70-200 2.8G
My website www.williamdelacruz.co​m (external link)
FB like page https://www.facebook.c​om/WilliamDeLaCruzPhot​o (external link)

sponsored links
Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013

May 23, 2015 08:06 |  #2

I'm afraid it boils down to the skill of the technician in charge.

I sent my lenses for years to a center without issues until they had a change in staff.

Sent my 5Dc in due to off center AF point. Camera was consistently focusing above the center point. To cut a long story short, I had to go there 4 times in total.

Below was what happened.

Software Calibration - ended up exactly the same, like nothing was done.
Faulty AF sensor - Had it changed and AF Point was exactly the same.
Recalibration of the AF Unit - AF shifted to the side and focus is off.
At my request, re-instate everything back to original.

So, my AF point is still off center but at least it focuses correctly. In hindsight, I suspected that the original AF unit wasn't faulty. Worse, they could not give me back my old AF unit for item change verification. Said it was company policy to immediately dispose off old units.

yamatama
THREAD ­ STARTER
261 posts
Joined Feb 2012

May 23, 2015 09:52 as a reply to  @ Aswald's post |  #3

If thats the case it is a shame that you need to have good luck and hope that your lens ends up in the hands of a good technician. IMO everyone working in Canon should be able to fix any kind of issue on any camera/lens.

Nikon D750, 35 1.4G, 85 1.8G, 24-70 2.8G, 70-200 2.8G
My website www.williamdelacruz.co​m (external link)
FB like page https://www.facebook.c​om/WilliamDeLaCruzPhot​o (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,464 posts
Gallery: 1790 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

May 23, 2015 11:09 |  #4

Heya,

I've yet to use them simply because of cost versus reliability, threads like this spark that.

I have an old trusty 85 F1.8 that no longer likes to focus at infinity and instead just knocks back and forth when trying to focus at infinity (or near infinity). Focuses smooth fast and fine on things up close within portrait distance, but the moment you try to focus further than that, near infinity, the knocking starts up. Focuses fine in live view at infinity, so I know it's something to do with the lens most likely and it does the same thing on multiple bodies (1D2, 5D, 650D, etc) via view finder (again works fine in live view only though).

Canon repair quotes $119 to repair without even knowing the issue. My fear is sending it in and finding out they want a bill for like $250, in which case, I just bought a new used one that is repaired since this lens commonly goes for $300 used. For that cost, I'd rather have a faulty but working 85 and another new 85 so that I have a working 85 and a backup in case I break it, etc. That just seems a better way to use the money, than to repair this one. I've yet to convince myself though. The other alternative is to sell this one at a reduced price with disclosure of the problem, and put the funds towards a 100 f2 that I've been eyeballing.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Frodge
Goldmember
3,085 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

May 23, 2015 22:02 |  #5

MalVeauX wrote in post #17568019 (external link)
Heya,

I've yet to use them simply because of cost versus reliability, threads like this spark that.

I have an old trusty 85 F1.8 that no longer likes to focus at infinity and instead just knocks back and forth when trying to focus at infinity (or near infinity). Focuses smooth fast and fine on things up close within portrait distance, but the moment you try to focus further than that, near infinity, the knocking starts up. Focuses fine in live view at infinity, so I know it's something to do with the lens most likely and it does the same thing on multiple bodies (1D2, 5D, 650D, etc) via view finder (again works fine in live view only though).

Canon repair quotes $119 to repair without even knowing the issue. My fear is sending it in and finding out they want a bill for like $250, in which case, I just bought a new used one that is repaired since this lens commonly goes for $300 used. For that cost, I'd rather have a faulty but working 85 and another new 85 so that I have a working 85 and a backup in case I break it, etc. That just seems a better way to use the money, than to repair this one. I've yet to convince myself though. The other alternative is to sell this one at a reduced price with disclosure of the problem, and put the funds towards a 100 f2 that I've been eyeballing.

Very best,

Just send it in and see what they find. You don't have to authorize the repair if it's too expensive. I've personally had good experiences with the NJ repair facility.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,464 posts
Gallery: 1790 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

May 23, 2015 22:51 |  #6

Frodge wrote in post #17568585 (external link)
Just send it in and see what they find. You don't have to authorize the repair if it's too expensive. I've personally had good experiences with the NJ repair facility.

When you send it in, are you committed to their initial quote, but not the revised quote? Or is it all just a waiting game where you get a quote and go from there?

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013

May 23, 2015 23:28 |  #7

Some centers will have you commit to a service charge for inspecting/checking the faulty unit, depending on the nature of the diagnostics even if you decide against the quoted repair.

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by Aswald.

May 23, 2015 23:34 |  #8

yamatama wrote in post #17567932 (external link)
If thats the case it is a shame that you need to have good luck and hope that your lens ends up in the hands of a good technician. IMO everyone working in Canon should be able to fix any kind of issue on any camera/lens.

I think it's the same with every other industry and it's virtually impossible to determine how good or how much a technician knows. While all of them have basic knowledge, the really good ones will excel and give really good repair/svc.

One thing you can do is to track where the good ones have gone. Very often, they leave Canon to set up their own independent repair centers.

While my few odd experiences with Canon have been far from desirable, I have to qualify that overall, they do try their best and are very professional.

I am happy to continuing to send them my gears for maintenance or repairs. I'll channel my energy to making more money so that I can replace old gears when the time comes.

Hope your lens get repaired properly. Don't give up. ;-)a

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,240 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

May 28, 2015 01:37 |  #9

only thing is you're going to be paying for repair now...seems like it would probably be cheaper to just rent the lens when you need it for weddings, than paying someone else to repair it instead of using the warranty

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,313 views & 0 likes for this thread
My experience with Canon repair
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.