Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 22 Apr 2015 (Wednesday) 19:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RAW v JPG

Markd102
649 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined May 2011

Apr 22, 2015 19:59 |  #1

What do the pros use for sports?

I've been shooting JPG for years mainly because of buffer size. But now that the 7D2 can handle a buffer of 31 RAW files (which is more than I generally need), I'm I better off switching to RAW files?

I'm shooting mainly Aussie Rules Football and cricket.

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,481 posts
Gallery: 108 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 4 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Apr 22, 2015 20:53 |  #2

Markd102 wrote in post #17528623 (external link)
What do the pros use for sports?

I've been shooting JPG for years mainly because of buffer size. But now that the 7D2 can handle a buffer of 31 RAW files (which is more than I generally need), I'm I better off switching to RAW files?

I'm shooting mainly Aussie Rules Football and cricket.

Most sports shooters shoot JPG, simply because of time and volume, plus any wireless transfers of the files. For what the photos will be used for, they don't have to be of the utmost quality. I would shoot raw + jpg when doing portraits, weddings, etc, but JPG during my sports shoots.

IMAGE: http://gerberphotos.smugmug.com/Sports-Events/Mad-Ants-2014-2015/i-zzTWpFV/0/X3/5P1B5027-X3.jpg
IMAGE: http://gerberphotos.smugmug.com/Sports-Events/Mad-Ants-2014-2015/i-BpR43BG/0/X3/5P1B6074-X3.jpg

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,664 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 22, 2015 21:06 |  #3

I am not a pro but have done some editorial sports work on deadlines. I shoot everything in RAW. The pros that I do know, are split. Some shoot RAW, some shoot jpeg. No right or wrong on this. Boils down to what works best for you.

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

Markd102
THREAD ­ STARTER
649 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined May 2011

Apr 22, 2015 22:27 |  #4

I was thinking RAW might give me more editing options for the low light stuff.
I wish our little country stadiums and fields were that well lit TS. Nice shots.

No wireless transfers happening here, so that's not an issue.

My main fears with the RAW files is storage.

The netball photo is indoors.
The football photo is under very dim, old fashioned yellow tungsten type flood lights.
Thankfully they don't play many night games, but the afternoons can get rather dull here in the winter, so I can be dealing with almost dusk type lighting.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

AceCo55
264 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 23, 2015 06:58 |  #5

I think if you have 100's or 1000's of photos to process, many would choose jpeg.

Not a pro, but I also shoot country footy and netball. In middle of winter, last quarter of the A's I was really struggling with my D300. ISO performance not great.
I now switch to my full frame camera with significantly better ISO performance (I just don't have quite the same reach for footy)
I probably shoot 1200 - 1500 photos on a Saturday - cull that to 500 - 700 "keepers" which I process on the Sunday - so for me its JPEG. It would just take too much time to go through that many RAW photos.

However, when I shoot basketball indoors, I do shoot RAW as we have a dungeon. I'm at f2.8, 1/320 - 1/640 and ISO 10000
The saviour here is that I don't shoot anywhere the same number of images and I don't have the same urgency for newspaper deadline so it's doable.

When this has come up before in other threads/forums many of the pros say they shoot JPEG due to time constraints.
One guy who has shot Olympics, Pan-Pacs for years and years says he only shoots JPEG.

Really nice to see some AFL on the forum. :-)

From the "Land Down Under" ... South Australia

scsurfdad
312 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 23, 2015 16:22 |  #6

Not a pro but here's my .02

I shoot indoor sports like volleyball and basketball RAW because I can edit better and lighting is always an issue.

Outdoor I tend to shoot RAW unless I plan on taking a lot of shots, then I shoot JPEG.

Outdoor night shots like MX I shoot RAW for editing purposes as well

So I guess my preference is that it depends on the lighting and the amount of photos I plan to take...not much of an answer...sorry

Mike
Sony A7R III

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,724 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 4 years ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

Apr 23, 2015 16:42 |  #7

Markd102 wrote in post #17528765 (external link)
I was thinking RAW might give me more editing options for the low light stuff.

This is an absolute fact, yes it will.

I wish our little country stadiums and fields were that well lit TS. Nice shots.

No wireless transfers happening here, so that's not an issue.

My main fears with the RAW files is storage.

This is also a real concern.

The netball photo is indoors.
The football photo is under very dim, old fashioned yellow tungsten type flood lights.
Thankfully they don't play many night games, but the afternoons can get rather dull here in the winter, so I can be dealing with almost dusk type lighting.

Sounds to me like you best bet is trying RAW for a while and see which side the compromise comes down on.

Most Canon RAW files (I assume this will still be true of the 7D2) Contain a fairly large embedded jpeg that can extracted in fractions of a second (ie, a batch would take minutes) so you don't even need to shoot RAW + jpeg to try it.

EDIT: I just checked, and the 7D2 it turns out will spit out a FULL RES 5472x3648 jpeg from the "RAW" file itself.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

PNPhotography
798 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 23, 2015 17:53 |  #8

I shoot both and if there's a shot that's "money" but that could be improved then I'll improve it using the RAW file.Memory is cheap.

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|
https://www.facebook.c​om …2755174446/?ref​=bookmarks (external link)

wmccree
92 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2014

Apr 28, 2015 15:49 |  #9

I have no time constraints so shoot RAW as well. The flexibility is just to much to pass up, in case it's needed.

1D Mk iv | 5D mk iv | 70-200 f2.8L ii | | Canon 24-70 2.8L ii | Tamron SP 24-70mm 2.8 | 50 f1.8 ii | Godox
Instagram Account (external link)
Flickr Account (external link)

lauderdalems
759 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 01, 2015 21:50 |  #10

I'm a sports photographer for a DivII school shooting ALL sports and only in RAW.
I probably average 400-600 per game. I use a 4tb external drive for permanent storage.

http://gamedayphotos.u​wa.edu/ (external link)

McNeese72
Goldmember
1,239 posts
Gallery: 919 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2007

May 04, 2015 20:06 |  #11

lauderdalems wrote in post #17540201 (external link)
I'm a sports photographer for a DivII school shooting ALL sports and only in RAW.
I probably average 400-600 per game. I use a 4tb external drive for permanent storage.

How do you back up the permanent storage?

Doc

Canon EOS 20D | 1 7D gripped | 2 7D2's gripped | EF 70-200 F2.8 L IS | EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II USM | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | EF 50 F1.8 | Sigma 17-50 F2.8 OS | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM | Canon Extender EF 2x III | Editing of photos is okay.

Doc's Shots (external link) USMMcNeese72 Flickr Page (external link)

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

May 04, 2015 20:15 |  #12

I used to be a 100% RAW shooting then I tried jpegs and they make life so much easier.

These cameras can spit out jpegs just as good as light room. Then I edit them in Photoshop which is superior.

There are some times I do need to shoot raw but 99% of the time the jpeg is more than enough

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

lauderdalems
759 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 23, 2015 11:08 as a reply to  @ McNeese72's post |  #13

The school has a jpg copy and I have the raw copy. I usually have no request for anything after the season is over - except when Malcolm Butler had a chance in the Super Bowl. And that is why I always keep my raw files.

http://gamedayphotos.u​wa.edu/ (external link)

Czbrat271
611 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 24, 2015 20:03 |  #14

I always shoot in RAW. I like have the flexibility of not having to always hit the exposure. Also when shooting inside, and my Expo Disc doesn't always hit the perfect white balance, it gives me ability to adjust the photos easily. Also like the sharpening and noise reduction in Photo Shop.

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,292 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

May 25, 2015 02:45 |  #15

I always shoot RAW for one simple reason... you can easily make a JPEG from a RAW you can never make a RAW from a JPEG.

If you decide you just want to output the images as JPEGs that is a simple job with Lightroom. Import them (applying your Sport development preset automatically) then select the ones you want and export as JPEGs. If however you need to edit some then you have the added flexibility and range of the RAW files.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

sponsored links

5,607 views & 2 likes for this thread
RAW v JPG
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.