Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 14 May 2015 (Thursday) 11:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

couple portraits

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,918 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by olafs osh.

May 14, 2015 11:17 |  #1

Aye!

ermmmm, color ones after million years :] thoughts?

p.s. they are not meant to be color-consistent inbetween.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,716 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jun 2011

May 15, 2015 14:55 |  #2

first is too wide and taken too close to the subject so her face is out of whack.

second is a nice shot, the dark areas behind are a little distracting.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

planet5D
251 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2012

May 20, 2015 09:39 |  #3

Rule of thirds should be your new friend (yea, I think I should call myself planetMitch "rule of thirds" guy)

Eyeballs dead center to me are a sign of a "snapshot"

Light L16: http://lightRumors.co
the premier community for Light L16 owners

olafs ­ osh
THREAD ­ STARTER
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,918 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012

May 20, 2015 19:15 as a reply to  @ planet5D's post |  #4

call me arrogant, but "snapshot" would be too hard of the term though, wouldn't it, planet5d guy?

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

Keith ­ Sheridan
31 posts
Joined May 2012

May 22, 2015 22:18 |  #5

Yeah, I think snapshot is harsh. I like the rule of thirds as much as the next guy, but to always follow them as a hard fast rule makes for some boring photography as well. The real question is have you created pleasing images and I think you have. The first image has a lot of fly away hairs and I prefer the second image, nice catchlights.

RMXSeven
310 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

May 23, 2015 18:50 |  #6

Personally I really like the 1st. The eyes drew me in. The colour pallete reminds me of the twilight movie (but better!)

Canon 40D | EFs 10-22 | EFs 17-85 | Sigma 70-300 APO | EF 50mm Fantastic Plastic
FujiFilm X-E1 (Sexy One)

planet5D
251 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2012

May 26, 2015 17:21 |  #7

Of course the rule of thirds is not cast in iron... but in 99% of the cases, it does come in very handy and in the case of these two images, I believe they would be enhanced by following.

"Snapshot" may be harsh to some, but in my book, the first one for sure is in that category... most of what we see is the young lady's forehead - at least that's what is evoked in my eye.

The second image is much more flattering and much less snapshot - with some re-framing it could be much better IMHO.

Light L16: http://lightRumors.co
the premier community for Light L16 owners

-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
2,773 posts
Gallery: 165 photos
Joined Jun 2008

May 26, 2015 18:37 |  #8

Way too many fly-a-way hairs in the first one, landscape orientation for a close up portrait-no, skin retouch looks good and the dominant
eye is close enough to the vertical center to achieve the look of following the viewer no matter where they view it from.

On the second one, skin retouch looks good maybe just a touch too bright in the whites of her eyes, landscape for a portrait-no, prominent eye is close enough to vertical center.

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK
"Brain Fart" = an essential bodily function.

sponsored links

1,555 views & 1 like for this thread
couple portraits
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.