Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 May 2015 (Tuesday) 05:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gear stolen - Seattle

RLJSlick
416 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by RLJSlick.

May 19, 2015 14:06 |  #16

Again, like I said, if someone want in they can do it, but most crooks are smash and crab, and they won't normally walk around with a large tool to do this. Plus this is a very heavy duty lock and case. A vise-grip wouldn't break this heavy duty lock. Plus again, the idea is that it's out of site, and not visible from the car window, since it's under the cargo tonneau cover.

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17562997 (external link)
No offense, Ricky, but that setup would slow down a thief by about 3 seconds. Twist that lock with a pair of vise-grips and I'm in your case faster than you can dial 9-1-1. Or a $3 pair of Walmart tin-snips would do a number on the plastic around the lock. Just in case I'm mistaken, and the box is metal. A large tool (like your jack handle) would pop that lock with very little effort. You are suffering from a severe case of 'false sense of security.' If I could get in your garage quietly, I could open that case and be gone before you got your slippers on, if you heard me at all. That said, I hope nobody ever proves this to you.

Ricky L. Jones
Canon 7Dmk II, 5Dmk III, 7D, 50D
About me (external link)
Twitter (external link)
Google+ (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

May 19, 2015 14:15 |  #17
bannedPermanent ban

RLJSlick wrote in post #17563013 (external link)
Again, like I said, if someone want in they can do it, but most crooks are smash and crab, and they won't normally walk around with a large tool to do this. Plus this is a very heavy duty lock and case. A vise-grip wouldn't break this heavy duty lock. Plus again, the idea is that it's out of site, and not visible from the car window, since it's under the cargo tonneau cover.

Very true. If someone wants it, they will get it. Somewhere along the line it becomes a compromise between security and accessibility. Which is, in part, why my travel camera is a G15.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

RLJSlick
416 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by RLJSlick.

May 19, 2015 14:19 |  #18

Right, the best way to protect your gear is to never let it out of sight. That's for sure.

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17563027 (external link)
Very true. If someone wants it, they will get it. Somewhere along the line it becomes a compromise between security and accessibility. Which is, in part, why my travel camera is a G15.

Ricky L. Jones
Canon 7Dmk II, 5Dmk III, 7D, 50D
About me (external link)
Twitter (external link)
Google+ (external link)
Facebook (external link)

MiamiC70
38 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

May 19, 2015 18:22 as a reply to  @ post 17562910 |  #19

Nice effort but that wouldn't slow down thieves here in Miami more than 30 second if that.

abacus022
Goldmember
1,327 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Jul 2011

May 19, 2015 18:29 |  #20

I hope you have better luck than I did.

Beyond the report, don't expect any help from SPD. They don't give a rats behind about property crimes, especially car prowling and breakins. There was even a news reporter about 6 months ago that had his own car broken into, and his iPhone stolen. He was able to track the vehicle that had it, and the police still wouldn't respond. Of course, it made for a good story in the paper.

Again, good luck.

Canon EOS R, 7D mkII, 6D
Lenses: Tamron 28-300, Tamron 18-270, Sigma 150-500, Canon 50, Sigma 28, Sigma 2X TC
www.photographyByAbacu​s.com (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/abacus22 (external link)

chadbarry
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Dec 2012

May 19, 2015 19:53 as a reply to  @ abacus022's post |  #21

There's not much they can do unless they catch someone in the act or in possession of stolen property. They will do what they are able to do. But, the report is essential for the insurance company. But also helps identify patterns and problem areas. Hopefully it helps someone down the road.

Chad Barry

sharrowm
682 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2005

May 19, 2015 23:50 |  #22

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17562997 (external link)
No offense, Ricky, but that setup would slow down a thief by about 3 seconds. Twist that lock with a pair of vise-grips and I'm in your case faster than you can dial 9-1-1. Or a $3 pair of Walmart tin-snips would do a number on the plastic around the lock. Just in case I'm mistaken, and the box is metal. A large tool (like your jack handle) would pop that lock with very little effort. You are suffering from a severe case of 'false sense of security.' If I could get in your garage quietly, I could open that case and be gone before you got your slippers on, if you heard me at all. That said, I hope nobody ever proves this to you.

My thoughts exactly. That wouldn't even slow down a seasoned car prowler.

Marc

5D Mark II | 7D |17-40L | 24-105L IS| 70-200L 4.0 IS | 50 1.8 | 100mm macro|100-400L | 580EX
It never looks the same on the wall as it does in the paint can

N2bnfunn
713 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 23, 2015 16:13 |  #23

Hey any updates on your stolen stuff? Has the insurance company paid you yet? that is my biggest fear with my gear..Again I am sorry I hope everything works out.

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

chadbarry
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Dec 2012

May 24, 2015 06:02 as a reply to  @ N2bnfunn's post |  #24

No updates on the gear. My insurance company has cut a check, just waiting for the mail now so j can go shopping. Deductible is $1,000 so I won't be able to replace everything but at least it will get me on my way.

I'm looking into some sor of GPS tracking like the Tile app for future trips but I'm not sure what is reliable.

Chad Barry

N2bnfunn
713 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 24, 2015 22:27 |  #25

Just do like I do, when in doubt take your stuff with you. Or locked it up in the trunk of your car

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

N2bnfunn
713 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 24, 2015 22:29 as a reply to  @ chadbarry's post |  #26

Another thing try to get all the stuff from one place like B&H talk to them on the phone and see if you can work out some deal on your new equipment since you are buy some much at one time.

JTX
Goldmember
1,777 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by Lester Wareham with reason 'Do not embed images you do not have copyright to'. (6 edits in all)

May 25, 2015 08:28 |  #27

Car burglars LOOK for things covered up.

Never EVER EVER EVER EVER leave anything in a vehicle, period.

Now you know. Usually car/home owner insurance will cover things to a certain point, with deductible, but unlikely you'll recoup it all unless you had it covered specifically.

I never leave anything in my car, ever.

For those of you using chains and c ables and lock boxes, this is pointless.

A Home-depot style chain cutter will make quick work of these cable locks in most cases.

http://www.boltcutters​.co.in/img/12gcbc.jpg (external link)

If you routinely leave gear in a car, you should have insurance covering THEFT up to the replacement value less deducible.

chadbarry wrote in post #17562370 (external link)
Not sure this is the right place to post this but all my photo gear was stolen in Seattle this weekend. We were parked in a garage in a rented Ford Fusion. There were expensive trucks and a Lexus in the garage too so it seemed like it may be an OK option. My gear was covered and it wasn't obvious there was anything of any value in the car. They smashed a window and took everything. Luckily I have my images. Hopefully insurance will cover most.

Beware of awesome deals on:
Canon 5Diii
Canon 1Diii
Canon 16-35 2.8 ii
Canon 24-70 2.8 ii
Canon 100-400
Canon Extender 1.4x iii
Fstopgear large icu
Lee filter holder, 82mm adaptor ring, 105mm polarizer
Sirui N-2204 tripod with K20x ballhead
Kenko extension tubes

Police called and attended. They drive the lot twice a day. Park on the main streets in high traffic areas.

If you do see any gear like this that's questionable please give me a heads up and I can look into it.

http://gallerytx.com (external link)
5DMK3 & 7DMK2 - 10-22, 50mm-1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 100-400mmL, 70-200 F/2.8L IS II / 270EX, 580EXII  :p
Celestron Ultima 11 Schmidt-Cassegrain

JTX
Goldmember
1,777 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Sep 2010

May 25, 2015 08:36 |  #28

RLJSlick wrote in post #17562910 (external link)
People ask me all the time how do I protect my gear in the car, and I show them my "lockbox" and how I have it chained to the cargo hooks in the tailgate of my SUV. You can't see from this picture but I have a hole in the back of this box that I run a chain all the way through the hooks and also through the cargo hooks so that the "lockbox" can't leave the car without some serious work. You can also see I keep the box locked at all times. Thinking of getting a large box with dual locks on the front. It won't stop anyone that really want your equipment, but it make them work hard at it. The trick is to ALWAYS us it. I've had friends have their equipment stolen from their car in their garage.
If anyone have a question, please let me know:

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by RLJSlick in
./showthread.php?p=175​62910&i=i120340264
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

This is good system!

http://gallerytx.com (external link)
5DMK3 & 7DMK2 - 10-22, 50mm-1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 100-400mmL, 70-200 F/2.8L IS II / 270EX, 580EXII  :p
Celestron Ultima 11 Schmidt-Cassegrain

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

May 26, 2015 11:03 |  #29

I have a separate personal rider that covers loss, theft, and accidental damage. No deductible. The cost is low and the peace of mind is good to have.

Speaking of I need to add my 24-70 f/4 to it.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

JM45ACP
664 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 26, 2015 17:14 |  #30

I have a separate personal rider that covers loss, theft, and accidental damage. No deductible. The cost is low and the peace of mind is good to have.

I have pretty much the same thing it costs something like $60 a year covers everything except war and nuclear attack. All I had to give them was the serial number and what its worth I used the prices on the Canon site.
John

John
5D MARK IV== 7D Mark II==7D == EF 24-105mm f4L IS USM == EF 100mm f/2.8LMacro==70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM == EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM UD == EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM==Speedlite 430 EX II == Benro A1980F Tripod W/ Opteka GH1 Gimbal Head==Manfrotto Monopods 680B==294-4==Various Cables Wireless Triggers and Other Stuff== PHOTO EDITING OK

sponsored links

7,139 views & 15 likes for this thread
Gear stolen - Seattle
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.