Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 19 May 2015 (Tuesday) 19:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Moving from Canon to Nikon

quickben
Fairy Gapped
1,511 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2004
Post edited over 4 years ago by quickben.

May 23, 2015 20:42 |  #16

elrey2375 wrote in post #17566910 (external link)
I was with Canon for years, went to Nikon for a couple and came back to Canon. I don't like the way Nikon renders skin tones. And Canon has better lenses IMO.

This was me. Canon since 1994 (AE1p and then 10D in 2003 followed by 5Dc and a couple of others) until a year or so ago when I tried Nikon (D5100 and D7000). I didn't like the colour rendering or the ergonomics. They just didn't feel right in my hand and the button placement jarred a little. I now have a 6D and a 50 1.4 as a second starting off point.

Lens-wise, Nikon have an excellent budget prime line up (28 1.8/50 1.8/85 1.8) but after that I think Canon is the better. And Nikon don't have anything like the 135L.

Fighting the war against the unnecessary use of the Book Worthy Smiley
My name is Gary, not Ben.
6D 24-70/2.8VC 85/1.8

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,973 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 23, 2015 21:00 |  #17

N2bnfunn wrote in post #17568256 (external link)
Just remember this every major sport NFL NBA canon cameras are the official camera , even the president photographer is a canon user.. I would never go to Nikon..

I used to have similar opinions. I went to Nikon because of focus issues with cameras a few years ago, made worse by CPS who had are really awful, unhelpful attitude. With Nikon my focus is far better, and gear needs repairs and calibration far less often. Note that the 5D3 is meant to be a big leap forward from what I was using, though my own wedding photos taken with the 5D3 weren't all as sharp as I would expect, they're pretty good though.

Canon does have a much better range of lenses. I use 16-35, 24-70, 70-200, and one prime, so no problem for me.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,768 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

May 24, 2015 09:53 |  #18

elrey2375 wrote in post #17566910 (external link)
I was with Canon for years, went to Nikon for a couple and came back to Canon. I don't like the way Nikon renders skin tones. And Canon has better lenses IMO.

I switched to Nikon after owning several Canon bodies and lens. What I found after I switched was the Nikon body/lens combo seemed much more reliable than the Canon system I left behind. To bad you don't like the skin tones that a particular sensor produces, but throwing a blanket statement like that out there is just hard to take seriously. Take a look in the Canon system and tell me that the Canon 5D and 7D both produce the same type of skin tones and you would be incorrect. I've owned both and liked the way the 5D sensor produced a natural film like look to the images where the 7D sensor always produced a image with a red channel that needed quite a bit of post processing before I was happy with it. Same can be said in the Nikon system that different sensors produce a different look that is up to an individuals preference to decide if they like it or not.

On the subject of Canon having better lens, please specify which ones. I've owned the Canon equivalent of each lens in my signature and I can say with 100% conviction that when the Nikon lens were paired with my D800 they were more reliable in attaining focus and have produced more keepers during a shoot than any of my Canon body/lens ever did. My very old and outdated 28 - 70 that took the picture of my granddaughter below some how wasn't out resolved by the 36mp Sony sensor that so many people were concerned about when Nikon decided to go with that sensor in the D800 series. I'm fairly certain the Nikon 200 f2 I'm picking up soon is also on the same level as its Canon counterpart.

Shot taken with D800/28 - 70 f/2.8

IMAGE: https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5612/15295325508_de10ddc303_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/piAx​oL  (external link) DSC_1291 (external link) by RickZPhoto (external link), on Flickr

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

frankchn
458 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 24, 2015 16:25 as a reply to  @ Thorrulz's post |  #19

On the subject of Canon having better lens, please specify which ones. I've owned the Canon equivalent of each lens in my signature and I can say with 100% conviction that when the Nikon lens were paired with my D800 they were more reliable in attaining focus and have produced more keepers during a shoot than any of my Canon body/lens ever did.

If you have special needs on the wide end, there are some lenses that Nikon does not currently offer (11-24mm for the 11-13mm range and the TS-E 17 and 24mms for the wide-ness and the ability to adjust the TS axes without using a screw driver). The super-telephotos are also lighter than the Nikon counterparts, but Nikon is making their new generation of super telephotos lighter too (400/2.8E and 800/5.6E).

Otherwise the core line-up most people would use seems to be pretty similar across the board.

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,081 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

May 24, 2015 18:24 |  #20

frankchn wrote in post #17569483 (external link)
If you have special needs on the wide end, there are some lenses that Nikon does not currently offer (11-24mm for the 11-13mm range and the TS-E 17 and 24mms for the wide-ness and the ability to adjust the TS axes without using a screw driver). The super-telephotos are also lighter than the Nikon counterparts, but Nikon is making their new generation of super telephotos lighter too (400/2.8E and 800/5.6E).

Otherwise the core line-up most people would use seems to be pretty similar across the board.

I am not certain but do Nikon have anything to (quality) match the Canon 16-35 F4 L IS, 24-70 F2.8 V2 and 70-200 F2.8 L IS Mk2? This is not "Troll" bait! I have simply never tried the Nikon equivalents so I do not know how they compare.

As to the "SuperTeles" I have tried a couple of the Nikon offerings and, sorry, I was not impressed. To be fair the results were very good but on the cameras I was using (D800 E and D4) things were a bit clunky (technical term) and slower than I am used to (1Dx or 1D4). The Nikon lenses that I have tried were the 300 F2.8 (on a D4) and 500 F4 (on D800E and D4) - both lenses are the current VR models. These were compared to the Canon 800 F5.6 L IS, Canon 600 F4 L IS (mk1) and Canon 300 F2.8 L IS (Mk1). To be fair only one was a direct comparison (300 F2.8) but also none of the Canon lenses were Mk2 versions.

My photography is hinged around long lenses with shorter lenses (16-35 F4 and 24-70 F2.8 V2) used less frequently so, for my uses, Canon is the better option. Were the situation reversed then things may well be different! Hence my question about the Nikon equivalents to the short Zooms.

Regardless of the above even a staunch Canon fan (like me) cannot deny that, in some respects, Nikon have an advantage in sensors, unfortunately the sensor is only one part of the equation, so all the other aspects must match up to one's personal requirements before deciding!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

tim
Light Bringer
50,973 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 24, 2015 18:36 |  #21

johnf3f wrote in post #17569616 (external link)
I am not certain but do Nikon have anything to (quality) match the Canon 16-35 F4 L IS, 24-70 F2.8 V2 and 70-200 F2.8 L IS Mk2? This is not "Troll" bait! I have simply never tried the Nikon equivalents so I do not know how they compare.

Yes. 16-35 F4 VR is awesome, and the Nikon 14-24 F2.8 is probably the best wide zoom available by any brand. Nikon 24-70 F2.8 G is better than the Canon 24-70 V1, can't compare with V2. Nikon 70-200 F2.8 VR II is on par with the Canon.

Nikon does have a more limited range of lenses, but they're more the specialty lenses, superzooms, and I think primes are more limited too. It's never affected me, I use pretty standard lenses.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,081 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 24, 2015 18:48 |  #22

tim wrote in post #17569626 (external link)
Yes. 16-35 F4 VR is awesome, and the Nikon 14-24 F2.8 is probably the best wide zoom available by any brand. Nikon 24-70 F2.8 G is better than the Canon 24-70 V1, can't compare with V2. Nikon 70-200 F2.8 VR II is on par with the Canon.

Nikon does have a more limited range of lenses, but they're more the specialty lenses, superzooms, and I think primes are more limited too. It's never affected me, I use pretty standard lenses.

Thanks for your observations - very informative!
Until fairly recently I was seriuosly considering getting the Nikon 14-24 F2.8 as there was simply no Canon lens that stacked up and it is very easy to use it on a Canon camera.
Whilst the 14-24 wasn't too silly pricewise the cost of a filter system left me a bit breathless! I don't need/want 14mm, 16-18mm is fine for me at the short end, but I wanted a sharp/low distortion lens and wasn't too happy with the Canon offerings. With the introduction of the Canon 16-35 F4 L IS my problem was solved and it's cheaper = happy me!
From what you are telling me it looks like a bit of swings and roundabouts at these focal lengths, GOOD! This is as it should be - a bit of cut throat competition between manufacturers is good for us consumers!

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 24, 2015 23:07 |  #23

ksbal wrote in post #17568491 (external link)
I'm surprised you are switching without trying a newer body first, even if it is only a rental. the 5D3 and 5D2 are miles apart AF wise... if you are still ok with the image quality of the 5D2, then go for the other features first, and start buying some ef primes, I think you'll be ahead of the game.

But if there is something specific Canon can't provide you have to have, then by all means, go for it.

Xsi 2 yrs, 50D 5 years, now 7D2 and 5D2. (but a 5D3 is on the horizon, probably in the next 6 months. )

I did rent a 5D3 a few years ago and took it to San Diego on a work conference, it was nice, I loved most everything about it, except the sound it make when it shot. I know that sounds weird, but I wasn't a fan of how the clicks sounded, lol.

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 24, 2015 23:21 |  #24

Its going to cost me $244 to rent a Nikon D810 and 3 Prime lenses (35,50,85).

Might be worth that to live in Nikon world for 4 days?

Spats139
412 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2009

May 24, 2015 23:40 |  #25

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #17569908 (external link)
Its going to cost me $244 to rent a Nikon D810 and 3 Prime lenses (35,50,85).

Might be worth that to live in Nikon world for 4 days?

Seems like a cheap price to pay to get some hands-on experience before checking out if the grass actually is greener on the other side. You may end up saving yourself the hassle of selling off all your Canon stuff. Just make sure you get four solid, full dawn-to-dusk days shooting the kinds of things you most want to do; the first three will probably be a lot of learning about how to get the most out of the camera.

Good luck

Dale

tim
Light Bringer
50,973 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 24, 2015 23:45 |  #26

Are you renting it for a specific event or just to play with? Be aware that Nikon controls are really quite different from Canon, it took me a few months until using Nikon became automatic. For example the dials go different ways, the lens mount is backwards, to change settings you push hold and turn dials, FEC = EC + FEC (on Canon they're completely separate), etc. I have trouble with Canon now, but it took some effort to switch.

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

May 25, 2015 01:24 as a reply to  @ Thorrulz's post |  #27

Anything that either one of us can offer is anecdotal at the end of the day. You're right though, it's up to individual preference as to whether a person likes or dislikes what a sensor produces. I simply don't like the Nikon bodies I've used and the way they rendered skin tones. It's not really something I need to explain to anyone. Nikon has no answer for the Canon 135 IMO. Or for the 85 1.2.
I've shot the Nikon 135, it's not close.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,768 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

May 25, 2015 04:29 |  #28

elrey2375 wrote in post #17569993 (external link)
Anything that either one of us can offer is anecdotal at the end of the day. You're right though, it's up to individual preference as to whether a person likes or dislikes what a sensor produces. I simply don't like the Nikon bodies I've used and the way they rendered skin tones. It's not really something I need to explain to anyone. Nikon has no answer for the Canon 135 IMO. Or for the 85 1.2.
I've shot the Nikon 135, it's not close.

Kind of like Canon has no answer for the Sony sensor in the Nikon bodies. ;-)a Totally clueless would be a more accurate summation while attempting to discuss reasons to purchase one system over another. My preference of course is Nikon and what the sensor/body means to every shot taken versus a few Canon lens that for the most part doesn't separate themselves from the Nikon counterparts to warrant consideration.

Btw, I'm also purchasing a Sony A7II just to have a lighter body to shoot with when just doing casual non paid stuff. Love the IBIS and the ability to use any lens I like on that body with the right adapter. So again, Canon has no answer for what the competition is doing and they don't seem to care what the marketplace is trying to tell them.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

May 25, 2015 14:56 as a reply to  @ Thorrulz's post |  #29

I've never been a fan of the nikon button layout or menu system. The canon just feels more intuitive to me. The truth is that either system is more than capable of doing what any photographer needs. Good luck with the Sony and non-sony lenses. The focusing is tedious at best.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,081 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 25, 2015 14:56 |  #30

Thorrulz wrote in post #17570095 (external link)
Kind of like Canon has no answer for the Sony sensor in the Nikon bodies. ;-)a Totally clueless would be a more accurate summation while attempting to discuss reasons to purchase one system over another. My preference of course is Nikon and what the sensor/body means to every shot taken versus a few Canon lens that for the most part doesn't separate themselves from the Nikon counterparts to warrant consideration.

Btw, I'm also purchasing a Sony A7II just to have a lighter body to shoot with when just doing casual non paid stuff. Love the IBIS and the ability to use any lens I like on that body with the right adapter. So again, Canon has no answer for what the competition is doing and they don't seem to care what the marketplace is trying to tell them.

We all have different requirements and uses, Nikon may well have some good/better options. My uses revolve around long lenses coupled with fast cameras and, having tried out some of Nikon's top offerings, I can only say that they are simply well behind Canon. Their sensors may well have advantages but that is of little consequence when their AF systems (D4/D800E) and long lenses are of noticeably lesser performance. Incidentally the D800E was severely compromised by it's AF and ISO performance.
Unfortunately sweeping and frankly poorly informed statements such as you have made will be of little help to the OP, or anyone else.

Anyway I am glad that you are happy with your camera, I am afraid that I wouldn't be - but then my uses are different hence my post.

sponsored links

9,078 views & 3 likes for this thread
Moving from Canon to Nikon
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.