Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 23 May 2015 (Saturday) 10:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is an Imac suitable for photography?

littlejohncharles
50 posts
Joined Oct 2011

May 23, 2015 10:44 |  #1

Hi,
i'm a computer science engineer and OSX is the only Os i've never tried. For the curiosity for this system and for the fact I like the idea to simplify my computer with an all-in-one i'm thinking to purchase an Imac 5k. My question is: Is this monitor suitable for photography? I mean is it suitable for retouching raws, colors fidelity and calibration ect.?
thanks

Canon 5D mkIII - Canon 350D - Canon 16-35 II- Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II- Canon 10-22 - Canon 24-105 - Canon 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon 50 f/1.8

sponsored links
john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,665 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 23, 2015 10:54 |  #2

littlejohncharles wrote in post #17567995 (external link)
Hi,
i'm a computer science engineer and OSX is the only Os i've never tried. For the curiosity for this system and for the fact I like the idea to simplify my computer with an all-in-one i'm thinking to purchase an Imac 5k. My question is: Is this monitor suitable for photography? I mean is it suitable for retouching raws, colors fidelity and calibration ect.?
thanks

YES

I’ve had more intelligent conversations with lobotomised amoebas.
.- -. --- - .... . .-. -- --- .-. --- -. .. -.-. -- --- .-. --- -. .- -.. -.. . -.. - --- -- -.-- .. --. -. --- .-. . .-.. .. ... -

Riveredger
660 posts
Joined Jul 2010

May 23, 2015 11:16 |  #3

I think it was really designed specifically for photo/video editing :-)

Flickr Photostream (external link)

littlejohncharles
THREAD ­ STARTER
50 posts
Joined Oct 2011

May 23, 2015 11:30 |  #4

Thanks
My post is due also because i've read some objections like "it's not a wide gamut" , "it has a glass and it's difficult to calibrate the color" and so on...

Canon 5D mkIII - Canon 350D - Canon 16-35 II- Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II- Canon 10-22 - Canon 24-105 - Canon 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon 50 f/1.8

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by Kolor-Pikker. (2 edits in all)

May 23, 2015 14:14 |  #5

littlejohncharles wrote in post #17568037 (external link)
Thanks
My post is due also because i've read some objections like "it's not a wide gamut" , "it has a glass and it's difficult to calibrate the color" and so on...

I've been using a 27" iMac since 2011, at the time 27" 1440p IPS displays were in the $1000 range, much how 4/5K displays are now, so it's a fairly inexpensive way to get in on the action.

I eventually bought a 27" NEC PA272W and it simply blew the glass off my old iMac display. Technology has advanced since then, so I suppose it was expected, comparing an old glossy CCFL sRGB panel to a matte GB-R LED AdobeRGB panel with all the trimmings.

There are a couple points I want to make, if you do go the 5K iMac route, pick the fastest one you can afford, particularly in the GPU, because that resolution is very hard to drive. I tried the baseline $2,500 model at a friend's studio and it was honestly rather sluggish, surprising considering it has silicon 4 years newer than mine and a hybrid HDD. The other thing is that unlike the regular iMac, the 5K model has some custom circuitry to run its display without tiling, so as a result you can not run the iMac itself as a display off a different computer.

I myself am not especially impressed at what Apple has on offer these days, the iMac is heavily constrained by power usage and has a mobile GPU, while the Mac Pro uses the outdated V2 Xeons, is too focused on Final Cut Pro X, and just costs too much.
I'm thinking it's the right time for me to switch back to a Windows PC, actually, I could build a system about the same height and width as the Mac Pro, but orders of magnitude faster in everything.

So, to answer your question... The iMac is good enough for general photography use, but I'm heavy on multitasking and my current setup is a source of frustration at the moment.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Furtim
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 23, 2015 19:03 |  #6

littlejohncharles wrote in post #17567995 (external link)
Hi,
thanks

I was in pretty much the same situation as you back in 2002 - having spent many years developing for the PC at work, I wanted to try something different at home. I opted for an iMac back then (the odd 'angle poise' version - still have it actually!) and now am on my 4th iMac - the 5K Retina.

I've had no issues in respect to calibration, and the resolution is a dream to work with. I'm sure on some purist level, you can get 'better' from other kit, for an all in one photo editing package, working in my case with 5DIII RAW files, it's great.

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 24, 2015 09:18 |  #7

An overwhelming YES.

Anyone who complains about the iMac being insufficient is either intentionally doing things inefficiently (there are many stubborn computer users) or truly has a large work flow.

I've never experienced slowdown in anything. Even when I let (many) computationally intensive simulations run. So if I can do Markov chain Monte Carlo while running other things, I can't imagine that you'll have complaints. I **LOVE** my iMac.

One note: with an apple product it NEVER makes sense to buy anything less than the fully speced out hard wear. But think critically!!!!! Example: The fusion drive is usually a better solution than the flash drive.

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 24, 2015 14:35 |  #8

pyrojim wrote in post #17569083 (external link)
Anyone who complains about the iMac being insufficient is either intentionally doing things inefficiently (there are many stubborn computer users) or truly has a large work flow.

I've never experienced slowdown in anything. Even when I let (many) computationally intensive simulations run. So if I can do Markov chain Monte Carlo while running other things, I can't imagine that you'll have complaints. I **LOVE** my iMac.

My next computer will definitely have to have 8 cores and 32GB of RAM. at the least. It's hard to give out recommendations when your own hardware usage has grown to levels that consumer hardware can't keep up with. And I still desperately need to buy an 8-bay NAS.

I recommend the iMac too, I just wouldn't buy one for myself. I also agree about maxing out on the hardware, developments in computer technology have slowed to a crawl and each new generation brings +15% CPU speed and 2x GPU speed... every 18 months... so your expenditure won't go obsolete as fast as in the 00's that's for sure.

I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by pyrojim.

May 24, 2015 17:43 as a reply to  @ Kolor-Pikker's post |  #9

Most applications are NOT optimized for multithreaded processors. Additionally, unless you are programming IN CUDA, a new GPU isn't going to save you.

You must take a darn-large number of photos.

I still have trouble maxing out ONE core while running a simulation...

Also why on earth use network attached storage? Do you really want to use a network connection to transfer your claimed work load? Now you are intentionally doing things the slow way!

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by Kolor-Pikker. (2 edits in all)

May 25, 2015 06:21 |  #10

pyrojim wrote in post #17569568 (external link)
Most applications are NOT optimized for multithreaded processors. Additionally, unless you are programming IN CUDA, a new GPU isn't going to save you.

Regardless of thread use, I'm running multiple applications at the same time, and most support CUDA acceleration too. Think I'm running half the Adobe suit while rendering and a VM and some other stuff.

Not a lot. Just taking photos is something I've stopped doing a while ago.

Depends on the simulation I guess? I thought that kind of stuff likes multi-threading and GPU acceleration, not that I really know...

Also why on earth use network attached storage? Do you really want to use a network connection to transfer your claimed work load? Now you are intentionally doing things the slow way!

Oh no, it's not about speed, but volume, I'm fed up with juggling a bunch of labelled disks to get data. There's no real way to have tens of terabytes of unified storage without building a RAID5/6 array, but I obviously can't configure an internal one via LSI card on an iMac.
Modern NASes have port linking, so once I do get a PC, I'll be sure to get a motherboard and network switch that support port linking and 10Gb, and I should be able to get up to 350MB/s speeds, which is more than enough for my purposes. For short-term storage speed I'm obviously going to need a bunch of SSDs.

Moppie
14,841 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

May 25, 2015 06:46 |  #11

pyrojim wrote in post #17569568 (external link)

You appear to be stuck in 2009.
Most creative applications are multithreaded, and make excellent use of multicore and hyperthreading processors. This includes the Adobe suite.
CUDA support is useful if you're doing anything in Premier Pro, which if you're running multiple H.264 streams is almost unusable without it.
In the Apple world they are making excellent use of Open CL, especially if you use Final Cut Pro.

And once you go beyond storage needs of 4GB then some kind of external storage becomes the only option, especially if you want performance and redundancy.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 25, 2015 08:39 |  #12

Moppie wrote in post #17570186 (external link)
And once you go beyond storage needs of 4GB then some kind of external storage becomes the only option, especially if you want performance and redundancy.

I think you meant 4TB, but yes, this is something I've put a lot of thought into, and after a point, data redundant storage is the way to go.

Now you might be asking, why not a RAID box with Thunderbolt or USB3 instead? because the 2011 iMac has neither of those. I need a storage solution right now, but also with the capability to grow as I do, and legacy-compatible external RAIDs usually don't support the new connectivity standards. The new Thunderbolt RAIDs don't even have any other ports.

For a bit more money than a RAID, I get all the network-based benefits of a NAS, support for more than 5 bays, and so on. A Synology 1815+ can support transfer speeds up to 450/190MBps reads/writes, which is quite fast, and a nice managed 24-port LACP network switch costs less than $200.

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013

May 25, 2015 09:07 |  #13

littlejohncharles wrote in post #17568037 (external link)
Thanks

The iMac is definitely good enough for what you want to use it for. They are also a bit overrated.

If you edit your color space in sRGB, you are fine most times.

After being unimpressed with the MacBook Pro, I decided to invest in a Dell Studio desktop, upgraded gpu and SSD, an eizo panel and 4k dell monitor and I can say that this setup can give any top of the line iMac a run for their money.

When editing photos, multicore processors will definitely speed things up. The more cores the better. Canon's DDP4 and Fujifilm's Silkypix Raw Converters will eat up your cpu resource like you've never seen before.

N2bnfunn
713 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 25, 2015 10:06 |  #14

An Imac 5k Retina is the best computer for doing photography, I have one and I have a PC I will use the iMac 10 out of 10 times when using photoshop.

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 25, 2015 11:11 as a reply to  @ Moppie's post |  #15

I knew that final cut X? Pro? What ever is the newest had substantial gpu acceleration baked in.

You are right. I may be stuck in 2009!!!! I didn't know that Adobe suite had taken multithreaded performance so seriously.

Moderate numbers of 200mb tiffs don't bog my iMac slim down at all!!

The only thing to kick the fans on to an audible level on my computer has been simulations that take over an hour to run each time.

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

sponsored links

3,925 views & 1 like for this thread
Is an Imac suitable for photography?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.