Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 23 May 2015 (Saturday) 10:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is an Imac suitable for photography?

ShotByTom
Goldmember
3,021 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Aug 2005

May 25, 2015 12:21 |  #16

I have the Retina iMac and absolutely love it! I use it with PS, LR and Photos and have never had even a hiccup.. Great machine and an awesome OS!

Gear
Website (external link)

sponsored links
EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,630 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

May 25, 2015 23:21 |  #17

N2bnfunn wrote in post #17570419 (external link)
An Imac 5k Retina is the best computer for doing photography, I have one and I have a PC I will use the iMac 10 out of 10 times when using photoshop.

And what is your PC? This is really not a helpful post...

The iMac is a solid computer, it's just not the best you can get for the money (though it's display could arguably make it worth it on the 5k, though personally i would never want to edit on a gloss display).

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

N2bnfunn
720 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 27, 2015 14:43 as a reply to  @ EverydayGetaway's post |  #18

You are saying that is because you DON'T have one.. if you did you would never say that.

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,630 posts
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by EverydayGetaway. (3 edits in all)

May 28, 2015 00:22 |  #19

N2bnfunn wrote in post #17573532 (external link)
You are saying that is because you DON'T have one.. if you did you would never say that.

No, I say that because I don't put things on pedestals because of perceived magnitudes of ability based on price and an over-hyped OS.

I was a "Mac guy" for the past 10 years, recently got back into a PC (for less than half the cost of my Mac) and I see no reason to go back. With Apple you're basically paying the extra bucks for design aesthetics and an Apple logo. The specs don't lie... whether real world use or benchmarks, the iMac 5k is an average powered PC... it's nothing special. All the components are there in the info, go ahead and look them up separately and see how much it would cost you to build one for yourself, you might be shocked, for it's cost you could build something a good bit more powerful if you were willing to go down to a 4k monitor. So as I said... if you must have a 5k monitor than it's not a bad deal, but really 5k is excessive, especially since it's on a glossy monitor which isn't ideal for photo processing which is really the only thing you'd need that extra resolution for in the first place... so I guess I really just don't see the point.

I'm not trying to turn this into a Mac vs PC debate, there's enough of those on the internet already and as a former stubborn as nails Mac fanboy myself I realize that arguing about it is pointless, until you really try a comparable machine yourself side by side you won't get my point.

Don't get me wrong either, I can still appreciate what Mac offers, and I realize tooling around with computer hardware and software isn't for everyone and Macs definitely make it silly amounts of simple. I just think that saying they're the best option for photo editing is simply false.

flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,656 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by bumpintheroad.

May 28, 2015 01:04 |  #20

littlejohncharles wrote in post #17567995 (external link)
Hi,
i'm a computer science engineer and OSX is the only Os i've never tried.

Wow. I can't imagine a computer science program that doesn't expose students to a wide range of operating systems. So you would qualify for a BSCS zero experience on Unix/Linux, Windows or Windows Server? That would severely handicap you in the business market.

littlejohncharles wrote in post #17567995 (external link)
For the curiosity for this system and for the fact I like the idea to simplify my computer with an all-in-one i'm thinking to purchase an Imac 5k. My question is: Is this monitor suitable for photography? I mean is it suitable for retouching raws, colors fidelity and calibration ect.?
thanks

An iMac 5K is an excellent platform for photography. The Fusion drive is very fast for a HDD. You can upgrade to a 512GB SDD for better performance and add external HDD via Thunderbolt for additional image and general data storage space (which you would need eventually even with the 1TB HDD). Mac displays are typically top notch, though I haven't worked on a 5K screen as of yet.

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17571364 (external link)
The iMac is a solid computer, it's just not the best you can get for the money (though it's display could arguably make it worth it on the 5k, though personally i would never want to edit on a gloss display).

I would also agree with that. But the OP is familiar with a Mac and he didn't ask what was the most economical system he could use, nor how to get the most out of his $2k investment.

I use OS/X and Windows interchangeably on the same hardware and don't see any difference in performance. What I do see is if you are using non-Apple hardware to run either OS you can get more performance for less money. The problem is that running OS/X on non-Apple hardware requires more care and feeding than on an actual Apple device, which takes away one of the big benefits of running OS/X in the first place.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013

May 28, 2015 01:50 |  #21

While I love the way the 5K looks in general and I do like the OSX interface, I find these hard to work around for the money.

1. Glossy Screen - really very tough on the eyes unless you edit in pitch darkness. I spend hours on the pc...the glossy screen on my 13" retina is beautiful to look at but terrible to work on.
2. Uneven brightness especially at the corners. They are noticeably dimmer.
3. It isn't 100% Adobe RGB - not too crucial depending on your work flow but I'm very sensitive to color tints.

littlejohncharles
THREAD ­ STARTER
50 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by littlejohncharles. (2 edits in all)

May 28, 2015 10:26 |  #22

bumpintheroad wrote in post #17574229 (external link)
Wow. I can't imagine a computer science program that doesn't expose students to a wide range of operating systems. So you would qualify for a BSCS zero experience on Unix/Linux, Windows or Windows Server? That would severely handicap you in the business market.

Studied and tried are different things. Anyway i choose a specialization not OS oriented: computer science engineering world is so wide...
I'd like to try OSX only for my personal curiosity and satisfaction, my job is million miles far from OS and in particular from OSX.

Canon 5D mkIII - Canon 350D - Canon 16-35 II- Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II- Canon 10-22 - Canon 24-105 - Canon 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon 50 f/1.8

littlejohncharles
THREAD ­ STARTER
50 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by littlejohncharles.

May 28, 2015 13:10 |  #23

Aswald wrote in post #17574253 (external link)
While I love the way the 5K looks in general and I do like the OSX interface, I find these hard to work around for the money.

1. Glossy Screen - really very tough on the eyes unless you edit in pitch darkness. I spend hours on the pc...the glossy screen on my 13" retina is beautiful to look at but terrible to work on.
2. Uneven brightness especially at the corners. They are noticeably dimmer.
3. It isn't 100% Adobe RGB - not too crucial depending on your work flow but I'm very sensitive to color tints.

The glossy screen scare me too, i've worked so far only with matte ones.
Usually i work on my photos with only the light of my desk lamp placed at the side of the monitor, two meters behind the desk there is a white wall I
I like to watch also movies sitting in my armchair that is close that wall, the room is dark.
Do you think i'll have reflections troubles in these situations?

Canon 5D mkIII - Canon 350D - Canon 16-35 II- Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II- Canon 10-22 - Canon 24-105 - Canon 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon 50 f/1.8

N2bnfunn
720 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 28, 2015 13:20 as a reply to  @ EverydayGetaway's post |  #24

Like I said you DO NOT HAVE ONE...

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

May 28, 2015 13:37 |  #25

it will definitely work for photo editing. Personally I can't have a glossy screen since I have a window to my left that would reflect. I also like to work with two monitors, one has LR the other the secondary display LR allows. I went with a mac mini and two 27 inch Dell screens at highest resolution. I had to buy a dongle from StarTech to turn one of my USB ports into a display port though, as the mac mini (back then) did not allow for more than HD on more than one outlet and I run higher than HD. Dongle works great, occasional quirks that don't bother me. Newer mac minis might not need this anymore, don't know.

Max out on RAM, but I'd not buy that from Apple, I got mine from Amazon, crucial brand. Maxed out at 16gig, no issues.

But if you can set the computer up w/o a window or ceiling light etc reflecting in it, it's very nice.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,630 posts
Joined Oct 2012

May 28, 2015 13:43 |  #26

N2bnfunn wrote in post #17574860 (external link)
Like I said you DO NOT HAVE ONE...

Like I said, you won't listen to sound reasoning. It's far easier just to lay down defenseless claims after all ;)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 28, 2015 15:33 |  #27

Lots of people are perfectly happy working with iMacs for their photography needs. They are not the best hardware for the most demanding of tasks, but they are perfectly capable of doing just fine, and many photographers/graphic designers put iMacs of various ages to good use in professional environments.

I'm not a fan of them because of their near complete lack of user serviceable parts, limited internal storage options, and markup on design. I would much prefer to assemble my own system from parts I've selected myself, and use a full or even over sized tower case.

I use a wide range of them on a daily basis for my day job. (I think the oldest is an ancient original aluminum body, and the highest spec one of the most recent 5K models.) They are decent, but I'm not going to rush out and buy one to replace my custom windows box, which I could upgrade for a fraction of the price. (And I use less deskspace with my setup than even an iMac would, because my monitors are mounted on arms, and the tower is on a shelf. Unless you're REALLY pressed for space and bad at cable management, then you're not going to gain a huge deal from an iMac.)

If you have no interest in fixing things yourself when they break, like the compact designs, and are happy with the specs and options available for their price, then the iMac systems are a nice easy choice. Just be aware that with more work on your part you potentially get a decent amount more bang for your buck.

(Also, OSX is no longer counted as a Unix-like system? Honestly from the Comp.Sci point of view I would say that Windows is more the oddman out in the field than Mac systems are.)

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

ShotByTom
Goldmember
3,021 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Aug 2005

May 28, 2015 18:49 |  #28

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17574183 (external link)
No, I say that because I don't put things on pedestals because of perceived magnitudes of ability based on price and an over-hyped OS.

Sure....there's no bias there....

I use windows and OSX all day, every day and there is no comparison. OSX is not the "overhyped" OS...that would be windows. I have to restart my windows laptop daily because of dropped drivers and a slew of other issues, I never have a problem with my macbook pro or my iMac, NEVER.

Gear
Website (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 28, 2015 19:30 |  #29

ShotByTom wrote in post #17575236 (external link)
Sure....there's no bias there....

I use windows and OSX all day, every day and there is no comparison. OSX is not the "overhyped" OS...that would be windows. I have to restart my windows laptop daily because of dropped drivers and a slew of other issues, I never have a problem with my macbook pro or my iMac, NEVER.

And I have to reboot my macbook daily because Spotlight randomly stops accepting mouse clicks (Or I did, till I gave up and use other tools). The windows server box I work with has an uptime of nearly a year or something, and currently the only persistent issue I have with my windows desktop is a USB driver error I've never taken the time to fix because I don't really need it.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

palmor
959 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Feb 2009

May 28, 2015 21:10 |  #30

I'm pretty OS agnostic having Macs and Windows machines so I'm pretty unbiased. My home built windows machine was dying (pretty old Athlon six core machine) so I was looking for a new desktop. I wanted something that I could put in the living room instead of up in my office so I could work on things in front of the TV and not lock myself away being as anti-social. My first choice was actually the Dell XPS 27 AIO. Great on paper and was really exciting to get it since the monitor was wide gamut touch screen etc. I got it and I found very faint grid pattern in the monitor on any white background, did a little research and it was a common problem so I returned it.

My 2nd choice was the 5k IMac. Although my wife has a 13" MacBook Pro I do think in general Macs are overpriced, but having her educational discount helps. What surprised me was that if you consider what you get with the iMac it isn't as overpriced as you would think (but like any other AIO you are of course limited). The Dell 5k monitor cost as much as the base model iMac, so with the iMac you get the computer and the monitor for the same price. Now the actual quality of the Dell 5k monitor is higher (wide gamut etch) and that is something that anyone considering the iMac has to decide for themselves, is the monitor good enough. It also does have user replaceable memory and HD, which was a big deal for me (it would have ben a deal breaker if I couldn't at least change those things out).

For me I'm OK with the smaller gamut and glossy screen of the Mac. I have no windows or lights directly behind my sitting position so I don't have glare issues, I also have a wide gamut Lenovo W520 (with calibrator) so if I need to do something that requires a higher level of color accuracy or gamut I have something else can use (along with my older Dell monitor I had on my desktop that is also wide gamut).

I guess that is the long way with saying if you don't need wide gamut and can deal with a glossy monitor it is just fine for photography. The new version of LR doesn't lag like version 5 did so that is something you won't have to worry about (at least with my config which is the quad core I7 and upgraded GXF card). I haven't had any issues with it yet so I've been happy.

I will say it is tough processing for websites images (say 1000 on the long side) because they are so small on the 5k screen that you don't really know how it is going to look. I've been loading them up on my Lenovo (which is only a 1080 monitor) just so I can see what they'll look like for most people :)

Any questions about it I'll be happy to answer.

John
http://pbase.com/palmo​r (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/johnw_trishw[/​URL (external link)
http://johnwoolleyphot​ography.com (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links

3,942 views & 1 like for this thread
Is an Imac suitable for photography?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.