Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 23 May 2015 (Saturday) 19:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Thinking to upgrade to a 4K monitor, do I need a new graphics card?

ghce
37 posts
Joined Jan 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by ghce.

May 23, 2015 19:57 |  #1

Am seriously looking at getting an AOC U2868PQU 28" 4K Monitor very good value for the money, but I am hesitating a bit as I think I may need to upgrade my video card, currently running a Nvidea FX-1800 Quadro attached to my dual Xeon Dell T5400 workstation and have enjoyed very fast fluid pictures and editing in the past.

What have others done? having not tried a 4K yet I am a little in the dark as to what I should do regards to addressing the new screen with the older hardware.

Advice needed

Graeme

Canon G1X MKI, G12
Sony SLT-A55V, DSC-T5, DSC-T70
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5

sponsored links
5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 23, 2015 20:06 |  #2

You will need a video card with Display Port Output (either mini or regular) , otherwise you will not get the 4K resolution.

ghce
THREAD ­ STARTER
37 posts
Joined Jan 2014

May 23, 2015 20:15 |  #3

The FX 1800 Quadro has 2 display port outputs and DVi and can run 3 monitors simultaneously but the spec does not go up to 4K resolution.

Canon G1X MKI, G12
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

May 23, 2015 20:26 |  #4

ghce wrote in post #17568474 (external link)
The FX 1800 Quadro has 2 display port outputs and DVi and can run 3 monitors simultaneously but the spec does not go up to 4K resolution.

Then there's your answer. If you want to get the full advantage of the 4K monitor, you'll need a graphics adapter that supports 4K. If the 2560x1600 the card's capable of is adequate for you, then try to find a monitor that supports that natively for best results. LCD monitors run at other than their native resolutions tend to be less sharp-looking than they might be.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

ghce
THREAD ­ STARTER
37 posts
Joined Jan 2014

May 23, 2015 20:32 |  #5

Yes and yes but but the intention is the 4K monitor upgrade not just scaling the monitor to the existing video card.
A look around my usual suppliers of Video cards show almost zero stock and variety of cards that support 4K.....I am not usually an early adopter but am finding that the lack of cards a little perplexing.

Canon G1X MKI, G12
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5

EnglishBob
555 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2004
Post edited over 4 years ago by EnglishBob.

May 23, 2015 20:43 |  #6

Any GTX 650 and newer Nvidia card will support 4k through the display port, not so sure on the Quadro cards, looks like you need at least the 4800 or newer from a quick search.

Gallery (external link) MyGear (external link) About Me (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,723 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 4 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

May 23, 2015 20:48 |  #7

Nvidia seems to think all of their GPUs support it based on this link (not the old Quadro though)
It's two pages of GPU configurations, i didn't even know they had that many to choose from?

http://www.geforce.com …hnology/4k/supp​orted-gpus (external link)

Is this just a bad webpage title?

And all the new Quadros as well;
http://www.nvidia.com …/quadro-desktop-gpus.html (external link)

I know we are talking about photo editing, but fyi, gamers are saying that the only ONE card (as opposed to two or more in SLI/crossfire) that is up to the task costs $1,000.00 (Nvidia Titan)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Ephur
618 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Sep 2010

May 24, 2015 02:41 |  #8

So... you can use nvidia GTX 680x+ cards (760+, and 900 series cards all) and you can drive a 4k desktop display via display port @60hz no problem.

It becomes a little more tricky via HDMI since none of the cards currently ship with HDMI 2 ports. However... Via HDMI it is possible still because nvidia uses chroma sub sampling to get enough data through to get the job done for most applications. For photography, I would argue that this isn't a suitable compromise and I use 4k @30hz to my 4k monitor(TV) via HDMI when doing photo editing. This ensures proper color translation.

With regards to gamers saying you need a Titan for 4k, that's really if you're playing games at 4k. I don't game at 4k (dual 680s) because I can only get 20 FPS on modern games and HDMI wouldn't work right anyway. I game at 1080. I do my day to day at 60hz 4k, and when editing photos I do 30hz @ 4k.

Display port alleviates this problem, and if you're using it then you can do all your desktop and editing @60hz and full 4k. 4k on a large screen is awesome for stuff like Lightroom.... Will never go back.

Windsun33
138 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 24, 2015 19:36 as a reply to  @ Ephur's post |  #9

Personally I would wait a bit. I am also looking at 4K, but it is still pretty new, and a lot of what is out there does not impress me much, or is super expensive. So at this point I figure I will give myself a Thanksgiving or Christmas present if the selection and prices get better.

Canon EOS 6D EOS 70D | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX Speedlite 600EX-RT

Lenty007
221 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by Lenty007.

May 26, 2015 00:22 |  #10

@ Ephur: Be aware that Bluefire doesn't read this or he's gonna chop your head off like he did to mine over here https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1426670

Ephur
618 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 26, 2015 02:35 |  #11

Lenty007 wrote in post #17571392 (external link)
@ Ephur: Be aware that Bluefire doesn't read this or he's gonna chop your head off like he did to mine over here https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1426670

I upgraded my neck to an apple thunderNeck connector, not compatibilite with all heads, or older bodies; it is however forum-decapitation proof.

elitejp
Goldmember
1,754 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

May 26, 2015 07:06 |  #12

I upgraded my video card to a nvidia gtx 750. The card says it supports 4k and I have it running to a 4k tv. When i turn the tv on the tv flashes 60hz at 4k resolution when connected to my video card and this is through hdmi and not dp. I might try playing with display port again but it wasnt letting me go past 1080p for some reason. Of course I spent quite a few hours getting this card to work properly. But sometimes thats just the way it is.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

Ephur
618 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 26, 2015 08:17 as a reply to  @ elitejp's post |  #13

Put the TV into PC mode, or "game" mode if it has one.

It could be the port on the TV is not hdmi2. The port on the GTX is def not hdmi2, but it should be able to handle it because of the chroma subsampling that nvidia does. Make sure you are using the latest drivers NVidia.

Ephur
618 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 26, 2015 08:19 |  #14

More details on the flashing, that happens because the HDMI link can't carry a 4k signal at 60hz, so there has to be some trickery involved if it is going to ever work over HDMI.

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 26, 2015 13:28 |  #15

Lenty007 wrote in post #17571392 (external link)

I heard that.

:p

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

sponsored links

8,207 views & 1 like for this thread
Thinking to upgrade to a 4K monitor, do I need a new graphics card?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.