Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 19 May 2015 (Tuesday) 19:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Moving from Canon to Nikon

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

May 25, 2015 14:58 as a reply to  @ post 17570755 |  #31

Which is why you see nothing but Canon at any major sporting event of any kind. They've got the long lens game sewed up.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

sponsored links
johnf3f
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

May 25, 2015 15:23 |  #32

elrey2375 wrote in post #17570758 (external link)
Which is why you see nothing but Canon at any major sporting event of any kind. They've got the long lens game sewed up.

Don't forget the bodies! I had the chance to compare the D4 directly to my 1DX and the 1D4 and was not too impressed though, to be fair, I had to use a Nikon 500 F4 VR lens and a Nikon 300 F2.8 VR so it may not have been the fault of the body. the D4 may have performed better with one of my Canon lenses but they don't fit!
Were I primarily a landscape shooter then I would almost certainly be using Nikon - but I am not. I do shoot occasional landscapes and my gear is very good for this - though possibly not the best. I mainly shoot wildlife and for that Canon is about as good as it gets for now.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 25, 2015 16:44 |  #33

tim wrote in post #17569931 (external link)
Are you renting it for a specific event or just to play with? Be aware that Nikon controls are really quite different from Canon, it took me a few months until using Nikon became automatic. For example the dials go different ways, the lens mount is backwards, to change settings you push hold and turn dials, FEC = EC + FEC (on Canon they're completely separate), etc. I have trouble with Canon now, but it took some effort to switch.

Yes this is a good point, having a camera for only 4 days doesn't really give me time to learn a new system and button layout very well. I may need to try find another method before I actually rent one. There is a local shop here in town that rents them too, maybe I can strike a deal up with him on a borrow body or something.

tim
Light Bringer
50,977 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 25, 2015 16:54 |  #34

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #17570901 (external link)
Yes this is a good point, having a camera for only 4 days doesn't really give me time to learn a new system and button layout very well. I may need to try find another method before I actually rent one. There is a local shop here in town that rents them too, maybe I can strike a deal up with him on a borrow body or something.

You might be able to get an "off peak" rate if you say "I just want to play, it's not for commercial use, happy to take it whenever you don't need it and can return it on short notice". If you buy from that store they may refund the rental fee too.

Don't get me wrong, Nikon aren't difficult to operate, just different. If you stick the camera in A mode and learn how to change basics like EC and ISO (push applicable button, hold, then turn all the dials until it changes) you'll be fine. Read the manual in advance. It's things like how to activate second curtain that could throw you.

A couple of months after I got my D700s I was using them at a wedding. One of them started being strange, in that when I hit the shutter it took a couple of seconds to take the photo. I put it down and used the other camera until I could figure it out later. Turned out I'd turned on red eye reduction (from memory), which you set by holding down the button beside the lens release and turning the dial but the shutter button. It's great once you know how it works, you can change most settings without taking the camera from your eye, but it's a pain when you're learning!

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

May 25, 2015 16:56 |  #35

I wouldn't worry too much about the control/button layout. If you like what the camera does then you will learn it quickly enough!
Just remember that you are, possibly, buying into a completely new system so ALL aspects of the new system must be as good or better than what Canon can do for you. If the Nikon system is better for you the go for it! You will learn the controls quickly enough. As you can see from my previous posts Nikon simply does not work for me but your requirements are very different to mine so Nikon may be a better solution for you.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,772 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

May 25, 2015 17:41 |  #36

elrey2375 wrote in post #17570758 (external link)

Obviously don't watch many sporting events then, I see plenty of non Canon lens.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 25, 2015 18:17 |  #37

Well, so I'm now trying to decide what I want to play with, a D750, D800, D800E, D810, D4.
Being that I want to shoot mainly primes and probably a lot more portraits than anything else, what do you Nikon users suggest?

tim
Light Bringer
50,977 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 25, 2015 22:26 |  #38

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #17571009 (external link)
Well, so I'm now trying to decide what I want to play with, a D750, D800, D800E, D810, D4.
Being that I want to shoot mainly primes and probably a lot more portraits than anything else, what do you Nikon users suggest?

Just try D750 to start. D800 is for landscape shooters or people who need crazy res. D4 is if you want to shoot extreme environments or use it as a weapon (1D equivalent), or alternately if you're a high volume commercial shooter.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

May 26, 2015 04:16 as a reply to  @ ChrisMc73's post |  #39

The D810 is the best all-around camera Nikon have made, IMO. You've got the MP if you need them. Has other modes if you don't. 51-point AF. 5 FPS, which is plenty fast for 95 percent of whatever you use it for. If you're going to go Nikon, get the best they have to offer. You can find them online, new, for under $2500. I've shot both. It's better than the D750. Noise performance is a wash between the two. One thing that the D750 has that can be an issue for some shooters is the 1/4000 maximum shutter speed. Shooting with primes wide open during the day, that can be an issue. D810 has 1/8000 SS. D810 also has better color depth, since I think you mentioned landscapes.

I wouldn't recommend a nikon, but if you're going to get one, get the best they make.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

May 26, 2015 08:57 |  #40

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #17563384 (external link)
I'm ready, I love Canon, I love Nikon, but Nikon is calling me hard right now...the gear head in me is wanting to get some new gear.
I got my Canon gear in 2009 and I've slowly used my gear less and less, I need new purchase to refresh my passion and satiate my need for Nikon.

I'm going to be selling this stuff soon:

Do you think I can get a decent Nikon setup with the proceeds from all that?
Hoping to be in the D750/D800 body and maybe one prime lens?
Maybe possibly the D4 and a prime if I put some money into it all on top of the proceeds?

I will always love Canon and might come back one day but for now Nikon is pulling me to its light.

Based on what you've listed:

The Good:

Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 is significantly better (sharper wide open, especially when focusing far objects at 70mm) than the MKI. Canon and Nikon leapfrogged each other with the latest Canon MKII being slightly better than the Nikon.
Nikon 50mm f/1.4 is as good as the Canon (neither are stellar). Sigma may be a better option nowadays.

Other lenses I have that are IMO significantly better than the Canon equivalent are my 16-35 f/4 and 70-300VR (although doing it again I'd get the Tamron 70-300 equivalent which is a bit sharper).

The Bad:

Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VRI has excellent center sharpness, perhaps a hair better than the Canon, but poorer corner sharpness. For what I was shooting (not brick walls) the VRI has been excellent. However the VRII is nowhere near as good as the Canon IS II. The Nikon 70-200 VRII is better than the VRI sharpness wise but has a pretty bad focus breathing problem. The Canon IS II is an even sharper lens with much less focus breathing.

If you highly rely on a 70-200, especially at closer focus distances, then I'd stick with Canon.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

tim
Light Bringer
50,977 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 26, 2015 15:15 |  #41

elrey2375 wrote in post #17571507 (external link)
The D810 is the best all-around camera Nikon have made, IMO. You've got the MP if you need them. Has other modes if you don't. 51-point AF. 5 FPS, which is plenty fast for 95 percent of whatever you use it for. If you're going to go Nikon, get the best they have to offer. You can find them online, new, for under $2500. I've shot both. It's better than the D750. Noise performance is a wash between the two. One thing that the D750 has that can be an issue for some shooters is the 1/4000 maximum shutter speed. Shooting with primes wide open during the day, that can be an issue. D810 has 1/8000 SS. D810 also has better color depth, since I think you mentioned landscapes.

I wouldn't recommend a nikon, but if you're going to get one, get the best they make.

The D750 is possibly better for wedding and portrait photographers. It's smaller, lighter, cheaper, amazing high ISO, and lower MP is an advantage. It doesn't have a PC socket, which is a bit of a PITA, but you can work around it.

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 26, 2015 20:14 |  #42

tim wrote in post #17572128 (external link)
The D750 is possibly better for wedding and portrait photographers. It's smaller, lighter, cheaper, amazing high ISO, and lower MP is an advantage. It doesn't have a PC socket, which is a bit of a PITA, but you can work around it.

The D750 has the WiFi connection to the mobile app right? Do any of the D8xx cameras have that as well, I think thats a nice feature for me.

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 26, 2015 20:17 |  #43

Bob_A wrote in post #17571723 (external link)
Based on what you've listed:

The Good:

Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 is significantly better (sharper wide open, especially when focusing far objects at 70mm) than the MKI. Canon and Nikon leapfrogged each other with the latest Canon MKII being slightly better than the Nikon.
Nikon 50mm f/1.4 is as good as the Canon (neither are stellar). Sigma may be a better option nowadays.

Other lenses I have that are IMO significantly better than the Canon equivalent are my 16-35 f/4 and 70-300VR (although doing it again I'd get the Tamron 70-300 equivalent which is a bit sharper).

The Bad:

Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VRI has excellent center sharpness, perhaps a hair better than the Canon, but poorer corner sharpness. For what I was shooting (not brick walls) the VRI has been excellent. However the VRII is nowhere near as good as the Canon IS II. The Nikon 70-200 VRII is better than the VRI sharpness wise but has a pretty bad focus breathing problem. The Canon IS II is an even sharper lens with much less focus breathing.

If you highly rely on a 70-200, especially at closer focus distances, then I'd stick with Canon.

I am going away from the zooms on my next body. I want to start shooting only PRIME, so the zooms don't matter to me anymore, right now anyway.

tim
Light Bringer
50,977 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 26, 2015 20:18 |  #44

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #17572485 (external link)
The D750 has the WiFi connection to the mobile app right? Do any of the D8xx cameras have that as well, I think thats a nice feature for me.

No idea sorry. Wifi is too slow to transfer bulk files unless you're really patient.

tim
Light Bringer
50,977 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 26, 2015 20:19 |  #45

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #17572490 (external link)
I am going away from the zooms on my next body. I want to start shooting only PRIME, so the zooms don't matter to me anymore, right now anyway.

You should check that all your current and probably future lens requirements can be met on the Nikon mount. Canon has a bigger range.

sponsored links

9,235 views & 3 likes for this thread
Moving from Canon to Nikon
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.